PDA

View Full Version : layer problems !

sebek27
02-17-2003, 11:29 PM
i figured out how to have two layers:
lets say I have 2 objects: a box and a ball, i right click and draw a selection around the box to select only the box, i cut and click layer 2 and paste so now ball is in layer 1 and box in layer 2. but when I go to surface editor and change the color, both box and ball change... in surface editor it doesn't say box and ball even though i named the layers... under surface name it says unnamed and below it says default ?? i named the layers how come they don't show in surface editor ?? please help thanx

LyonHaert
02-18-2003, 12:06 AM
because modeling layers are only to separate the geometry. press Ctrl-F5 and you'll see the Layer Browser. that will show you under Unnamed that yes indeed, you did name the layers. what you need to do for separate surfaces is select the polygons you wish to assign a particular surface, and hit 'q', type in a name for the surface (which you can rename later) change whatever other options you wish to initially set, and hit OK. then do the same thing on the other geometry, and open the Surface Editor (Ctrl-F3). now under Unnamed it will have both of the new surfaces you just created, and the Default one. even if there are no polygons left with Default applied, it sticks around until the object file is closed. if you save, close the file, then load it again, it will only show the 2 surfaces, and Default will be gone.

sebek27
02-18-2003, 02:36 AM
thanks now i understand !

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.