PDA

View Full Version : Translate and edge of screen

MJV
12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
I love the new "Keep Manipulator Visible in 3D View" option in Transform preferences. In fact there are many nice options there I hadn't noticed before.

One thing that bugs me is that transform stops when the mouse (which is invisible during transforms) hits the edge of the screen. Kind of as if one were using a tablet. In other programs I've used, an object will keep transforming in 3D space as far as the mouse can travel. Is there any way to enable this behavior in XSI?

Strang
12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
i wonder if this new option disables the behavior your asking for..

MJV
12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
No, it doesn't. 5.11 suffers the same problem. I just never noticed before because I'm not really a power XSI user. Seems pretty awkward though. I also just notice that when you transform something in XSI that the xyz values don't update until the mouse stops or goes very slow, which also seems not so good. Do these two things not bother other users?

Strang
12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
sorry thought you meant viewport edge when you said "screen"

so yeah it stops when you hit the edge of the screen. it isn't bothersome what i do is disable transform manipulators and isolate an axis which gives me fast translation mode. and in my options i have it set to a really high increment

Chris-TC
12-31-2006, 10:10 AM
I always work with 3D manipulators turned off, so I neither need the new option nor does the edge of the screen bother me :bounce:

MJV
01-01-2007, 10:08 PM
What is the advantage of working without the manipulators? Are you holding a key down while using the mouse, or scrolling the input fields? I'm having a hard time envisioning a workflow that is superior to using the manipulators so if you could please provide a little more detail. Also, using manipulators or not doesn't change the fact that the object will stop when manipulating the mouse at screen edge. When you say this doesn't bother you, you mean you prefer that it work that way, you're used to the limitation, or you just don't care how it works?

Strang
01-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Also, using manipulators or not doesn't change the fact that the object will stop when manipulating the mouse at screen edge. When you say this doesn't bother you, you mean you prefer that it work that way, you're used to the limitation, or you just don't care how it works?

not seeing where the object is going doesn't seem that useful to me. so i would prefer to work this way. when i do have to translate large distances that would put me at the edge of my screen i usually just type the value in. or use a zoomed out ortho view. for me this is such a minor thing...

Chris-TC
01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
What is the advantage of working without the manipulators? Are you holding a key down while using the mouse, or scrolling the input fields?
It's just faster and more convenient for me. Instead of always aiming for the translate/rotate/scale arrows, you can leave the mouse cursor wherever it is and make lots of modifications very quickly. RGB = XYZ = Left, Middle, Right Button - took me two days to get used to (coming from Max) but I like it very much.

lso, using manipulators or not doesn't change the fact that the object will stop when manipulating the mouse at screen edge.
To be honest, I never encountered this problem. But if you should really run out of space you can simply release the middle mouse button for a second (but keep V held down) move the mouse back down a bit, and press the middle mouse button again to move the object further up (this is because the cursor can be wherever you want it to).

But I really wasn't trying to convince you of changing transform modes. Personally, I love to work this way (I don't come from Softimage 3D btw), but Softimage themselves recommend using the manipulators, and they changed the default setting back in version 4 because of that.

ThirdEye
01-03-2007, 12:16 AM
I always work with 3D manipulators turned off

If all the mouse buttons are used for xyz directions what do you do when you want to constrain your action on two axes or no axes at all? Forgive my ignorance.

MJV
01-03-2007, 01:25 AM
The irony to me is that there is little point in having this new option "Keep Manipulator Visible in 3D View" when in fact you aren't allowed to travel far outside the view in the first place. It's kind of like putting a five kilometer string on a kite that can only fly 50 meters high. :shrug:

Strang
01-03-2007, 02:15 AM
even if you could translate off screen... i think there is little point to having manipulators stay in view. but yeah i am sure the request came from somewhere, so someone must use or need it

steven

Chris-TC
01-03-2007, 10:33 AM
If all the mouse buttons are used for xyz directions what do you do when you want to constrain your action on two axes or no axes at all? Forgive my ignorance.

In the rare case of wanting to do two axes at the same time (I usually only want to do this when scaling something) you hold down two mouse buttons.
If you want to do all three axes, you use View mode and the left mouse button. View mode also does both axes at the same time in orthographic views.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 10:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.