PDA

View Full Version : orient-constrain problem

themick_g
12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I have a problem with an orient constraint, or better with the offset.
Lets say we have a cube ,a sphere, and a torus.All objects are at 0.0.0 pos, and the cube ,shere,and torus a childs of a 'parent' null.I orient-constrain the cube to the shere
Now I want to drive the orient offset y rotation with the y rot of the torus.So I link the local y-rotation of the torus with the orient offset y-rotation in the orientconstraint-ppg.
Now when I rotate the torus in y the cube rotates also in y, perfect.My problem is that when I rotate the parent of my objects, the null , lets say 90 on the x-axis and then try to rotate my torus to affect the y-rot of my cube it rotates in a strange manner.The offset rotation doesn't seem to follow the rotatio-axis-system of the parent, but always seem to stay global.
Is there a solution posibble?
thx
mick

norvman
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Mick...

not quite sure I understand the problem here... but

when ever I start having problems with Rotations and parents children ... I usally start by placing an extra Null inbetween the Parent and the Child in the heirarchy... that seems to usally solve the problem...

but again I may be misunderstanding what your trying to accomplish here...

mr-doOo
12-31-2006, 11:22 AM
constraints are always global, try expressions

norvman
12-31-2006, 06:21 PM
constraints are always global, try expressions

Yes thats right...
I had forgotten about that..

also... remember... any animation you have placed on an object before you have constrained it is forgotten...

also... the most recient constraint cancels out older constraints....

plus... expressions and scripts are figured before constraints....

so if you start using expressions you may have to convert everything to expressions...
but that's not hard...

anywayz... hope that helps...

themick_g
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Thank you for your answers, I ll have a try with expressions!
Happy new year!
cheers
Mick

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.