PDA

View Full Version : Imf_copy

Yanlec
12-30-2006, 02:18 AM
hi all, iam trying to convert a tif to a map file, for some reason i cant do it, if i use convertfile.bat that some users did, it doesnt work, and if i do it manually in the cmd window, i get something like imf error. and i also tried franscescaluce sript for photoshop and i cant get it working, so if anyone could help, and btw, what is imf and were is it located, cuz i searched my whole computer and i cant find it, thx.

Yanlec
12-30-2006, 10:10 PM
nervermind, the thing was that i had to convert the tiff file from grayscale to rbg mode so that the convertfile.bat(posted somwhere in the forums) could convert it. thx again

bgawboy
12-31-2006, 02:31 AM
BTW, the imf_* tools including imf_copy should be in the bin directory of the Maya distribution. So if the path to the maya executable is in your environment, then you should be able to easily use the imf_* tools at the command line as well.

In particular, with Maya 8 now the maya_file node knows how to work with tiled .map files. This makes mental ray automatically use texture caching, an important feature for scenes with lots of non-small textures. For example,

imf_copy -p -r mytex.tif mytex.map

This will create a pyramid, tiled texture map file in the native mental ray .map format.

Use imf_info to verify.

To do a similar feat for exr, there is a command in the download from www.openexr.com called exrmaketiled. mental ray will also automatically use the texture cache for tiled exr files.

SirRender
12-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Fantastic! Thank you very much for that great information bgawboy.:thumbsup:

Yanlec
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
thx for the info man, i gotta admit that thing was getting me confused, thx bro

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.