PDA

View Full Version : TD-Academy.com launches its pre-registration site to the public

fxjeane
12-30-2006, 01:06 AM
http://td-academy.com/images/logo2.png

London, United Kindom, December 30, 2006 – TD-Academy, the premier online school for technical directors, has launched its pre-registration site. Students can pre-register now at
www.td-academy.com (http://www.td-academy.com) and save 10% on tuition costs.

Actual classes are scheduled to begin sometime in the 1st quarter of 2007.

TD-Academy is the first and only online school that prepares students for the realities of CG-production by implementing a mentorship program employing the artists behind movies like; The Day After Tomorrow, King Kong, The Matrix and The Mummy. TD-Academy’s unique personal mentor system allows each student to learn from 1-on-1 sessions with artists from major studios like ILM, Dreamworks, Weta Digital, Disney and Digital Domain. TD-Academy’s Mentors have all played leading roles in the best visual effects based blockbusters in recent memory. A full listing of our mentors (with credits) is available at
www.td-academy.com/docs/mentors.php (http://td-academy.com/docs/mentors.php)

TD-Academy’s curriculum has been engineered by industry veterans and is based on years of experience in high-end visual effects. Advanced courses (so called “Production Techniques”) explain in minute detail how a specific shot in a movie was created, what problems where encountered and how they were solved. All course material consists of detailed and illustrated notes and an accompanying video.

TD-Academy offers 4 TD Diplomas:
General TD (http://td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=generalTD), Character TD (http://td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=characterTD), Effects TD (http://td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=effectsTD) and Render TD (http://td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=renderingTD), each consisting of 13 modules. TD-Academy’s courses are also available individually so that working professionals or graduates from other institutions may advance their skills.

The TD-Academy online experience includes a sprawling community that replicates the production environment as closely as possible. Some of the features include: a dailies system with supervisor’s approval facilities, instant peer feedback, weekly Q&A sessions and assignment-based deadlines.

Students can enroll any time of the year because TD-Academy offers courses and diplomas on an ongoing basis and does not follow academic cycles that use quarters or semesters.

In short, TD-Academy offers CG education with REAL production value - based around a personal 1-on-1 mentor system, production-tested curriculum, and an online production environment.

rblitz7
12-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Oh wow! really awesome to see someone following in the footsteps of online schools like Animation Mentor. From what I see so far this program looks very promising! Is it gona be set up similar to Animation Mentor? Will web cams be used?

RenisanceX
12-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Very interesting will be keeping watch to see how this develops

fxjeane
12-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Oh wow! really awesome to see someone following in the footsteps of online schools like Animation Mentor. From what I see so far this program looks very promising! Is it gona be set up similar to Animation Mentor? Will web cams be used?

Yes. Web cams will be used for the weekly 1 on 1 sessions with your mentor.

ChewyPixels
12-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Awesome! However, the only way I'd be able to register is if I had some financial assistance. Any word on that?

swardson
12-30-2006, 03:49 AM
very cool...

If I wasnt planning on teaching some maya courses at the University I would probably jump right on this.

will keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks,

Brad

fxjeane
12-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Awesome! However, the only way I'd be able to register is if I had some financial assistance. Any word on that?

We are working on it at the momment. Once ready we will let people know.

Cheers

darkjedi1929
12-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Nice. Finally something like a TD Mentor in place.....

Two questions here:

a. The financial aid you are planning, will it apply to international students, i.e., places like India as well?

b. Is this a degree course? Something like a B.A.? or just a diploma?

fxjeane
12-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Nice. Finally something like a TD Mentor in place.....

Two questions here:

a. The financial aid you are planning, will it apply to international students, i.e., places like India as well?

a. We are setting up interest free payments plans through some credit card companies for international students

b. We are not a degree school. We will offer Diplomas which will be certified by software vendors such as Side Effects Software and Pixar and several govermental agencies (we are in process of getting licenced). Deals are not final yet so I cant disclose anymore at this time.

cheers

darkjedi1929
12-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Cool. Thanks for the clarifications fxjeane

rendermaniac
12-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Blimey! You must have a extra few days in your week compared to the rest of us Rudy!

good luck with this.

Simon

drGonzo
12-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I would just like to add to Rudy's answer that we will indeed provide certifications, but that the biggest recognition our courses have however, is that they are developed and approved by industry veterans with years of feature film experience. No other curriculum in the world prepares you better for the realities of production then ours.

Let's be honest about this, how many people from govermental agencies work in the feature film industry? It is always nice to have a piece of paper, but the real value of the course lies in its results: a nice reel and the student being prepared for production. A production house will very rarely ask for your certifications, all they want to see is a reel that shows that you are up to the task.

Bsmith
12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
so how much knowledge of the programs do you need to have in order to be admitted...I mean in order to be a TD don't you need to be able to know the program inside and out? I mean you can't just start learning to be a TD unless you know the program enough to be able to solve all problems. Do you learn the program at the beginning?

Also I'm assuming you need to own the programs yourself, some of those programs cost a lot of money.

drGonzo
12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
so how much knowledge of the programs do you need to have in order to be admitted...
A bare minumum. All intro courses (like Intro to Houdini Dynamics) start with a brief overview of the UI and basic functionalities before digging into the more advanced stuff. The learning curve will be a bit steep in the beginning if you are totally new to the program, but there is a vibrant user base to answer all your questions. That is why we stress that we are an online *community*.

I mean in order to be a TD don't you need to be able to know the program inside and out?
Not when you start the course. When you graduate, you WILL know the program inside and out ;-)

I mean you can't just start learning to be a TD unless you know the program enough to be able to solve all problems. Do you learn the program at the beginning?
Absolutely. Please have a look at the outlines of our general courses at:
http://www.td-academy.com/docs/courses.php?page=general&scheme=dark
It includes an intro to things like Python, C++ and MEL.

Also I'm assuming you need to own the programs yourself, some of those programs cost a lot of money.

We are working on agreements with all our software vendors, so our students can purchase the programs at educational prices. Maya and Houdini even have free versions: PLE and apprentice.

fxjeane
12-30-2006, 05:41 PM
so how much knowledge of the programs do you need to have in order to be admitted...I mean in order to be a TD don't you need to be able to know the program inside and out? I mean you can't just start learning to be a TD unless you know the program enough to be able to solve all problems. Do you learn the program at the beginning?

Students will be expected to have some type of 3d knowledge with Maya or Houdini. Our mentors are extremely busy professionals so their time is quite valuable. It would not make much sense to have a 10 year VFX veteran to show users how to "create a light" in Maya.There are plenty of free online resources to learn about the basics of Maya and Houdini. We recomend people to use those to learn the basics of the software and then let our mentors show you how to make fantastic shots like the ones they have done in the past. Im sure everyone wants to make the most out of their mentor 1 on 1 time.

We are working on seting up partnerships and deals with top software vendors. This is done so our students can qualify for educational licences. We are also considering other forms of financial aid to help our students afford the necesary software.

xstijn
12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
A bare minumum. All intro courses (like Intro to Houdini Dynamics) start with a brief overview of the UI and basic functionalities before digging into the more advanced stuff. The learning curve will be a bit steep in the beginning if you are totally new to the program, but there is a vibrant user base to answer all your questions. That is why we stress that we are an online *community*.

Not when you start the course. When you graduate, you WILL know the program inside and out ;-)

Absolutely. Please have a look at the outlines of our general courses at:
http://www.td-academy.com/docs/courses.php?page=general&scheme=dark
It includes an intro to things like Python, C++ and MEL.

We have agreements with all our software vendors, so our students can purchase the programs at educational prices. Maya and Houdini even have free versions: PLE and apprentice.

I have a question concerning the prequisites of all the courses avaible. I understand maya pretty well (I mean, i know the basics at least) but i have a question concerning the essential TD Courses:

Like it or not, you will need a good amount of math skills to be able to perform well as a technical director. This class will cover very fundamental concepts of CG graphics such as vector and color arithmetic, transformations, matrix operations, perspective projections. Some of these concepts you will use on a daily basis as a TD, others you will use sporadically. Those sporadic operations are very necessary as you might run into a particular problem and unless you know about the available operations you can use to solve your problem, you will never even contemplate using them

I only have a quite basic grasp of math problems and math in general. Is this a problem? Or will a learn all those things at the TD-Academy? I mean, is it a prequisite to now math well or is it just something you'll have to learn wether you like it or not, cause i don't really mind but i must be able or have the option to learn it.

Also, as a Effects TD i always read/known that you indeed need to know a lot of math etc. but i always would love to be a Effects TD would this be a problem?

So basicly, what is it I need to know or have done or been taught in my past that would let me be admitted?

Besides that, i would like to say your really seem to go in the right and the courses all look awesome! The mentors also look very professional and helpfull, keep up the good work!
:)

drGonzo
12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I only have a quite basic grasp of math problems and math in general. Is this a problem? Or will a learn all those things at the TD-Academy?
You will learn all those things at TD-Academy. Our math course has been specifically designed with the CG-artist and TD in mind. All math that you will learn is directly related to and applicable in CG. The author and mentor of the course is Saty Raghavachary, the senior R&D person at Dreamworks, member of MENSA and all-round nice guy. He has been in the CG industry for 2 decades and hence understands very well what kind of math TD's need.
Also, as a Effects TD i always read/known that you indeed need to know a lot of math etc. but i always would love to be a Effects TD would this be a problem?
I am an FX TD and to be quite honest, I was never very good at math either, but when applying it in my day to day job, it comes naturally. You learn/do the math because you need it in particle expressions for example. When you see math applied in CG, it gives it a whole new dimension. It has nothing to do with the boring stuff you learned in high school. This is 3D math, applied in your scenes so you can make pretty pictures.
In short: don't worry about it.

So basicly, what is it I need to know or have done or been taught in my past that would let me be admitted?

As mentioned before, all you need is a basic familiarity with Maya and Houdini. The rest we will teach you.

xstijn
12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks! That is great! :thumbsup:

Do you as an effects TD write your own software as well? or is that the job of another department or TD?

I also have a question concerning the General TD:
After completing the 5 essential TD courses (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?scheme=dark#essentials), generalist TD students will enroll in two introduction-level courses from every other available diploma (character, rendering, FX) and two courses that are up to the student’s discretion.

Does this mean i have to complete the 5 essential TD courses, then these:

One course from any of the other character courses (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=characterTD&scheme=dark)
Character Setup: The low-resolution animation rig (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=characterTD&scheme=dark#charsetup_low)

Introduction to RenderMan (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=renderingTD&scheme=dark#intro2rman)
Introduction to Mental Ray (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=renderingTD&scheme=dark#intro2mray)

Introduction to Maya Dynamics (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=effectsTD&scheme=dark#intro2mayadyn)
Introduction to Houdini Dynamics (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=effectsTD&scheme=dark#intro2houddyn)

and then 2 courses that i prefer? So i can pick the above and then let's say:
-Houdini dynamics, production enviroment
-Maya dynamics, production enviroment

So in total I would then have the 5 essential TD courses and 8 courses?

Thank you for your time :)

drGonzo
12-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Do you as an effects TD write your own software as well? or is that the job of another department or TD?
We write plugins and scripts, but actual development of software is done by the R&D department.

drGonzo
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
and then 2 courses that i prefer? So i can pick the above and then let's say:
-Houdini dynamics, production enviroment
-Maya dynamics, production enviroment
So in total I would then have the 5 essential TD courses and 8 courses?

That is correct.

darkjedi1929
12-31-2006, 03:01 AM
I would just like to add to Rudy's answer that we will indeed provide certifications, but that the biggest recognition our courses have however, is that they are developed and approved by industry veterans with years of feature film experience. No other curriculum in the world prepares you better for the realities of production then ours.

Let's be honest about this, how many people from govermental agencies work in the feature film industry? It is always nice to have a piece of paper, but the real value of the course lies in its results: a nice reel and the student being prepared for production. A production house will very rarely ask for your certifications, all they want to see is a reel that shows that you are up to the task.

Quoted for agreement, but if someone like me has a kickass reel but no degree under his belt, will he be able to get a VISA to say the USA or UK for a job without a degree? It's a rather stupid rule, IMHO....

Anyway, back to the topic, I would definetly be interested in applying. Gotta seriously start saving up, i guess......:thumbsup:

fxjeane
12-31-2006, 03:15 AM
Quoted for agreement, but if someone like me has a kickass reel but no degree under his belt, will he be able to get a VISA to say the USA or UK for a job without a degree? It's a rather stupid rule, IMHO....

Anyway, back to the topic, I would definetly be interested in applying. Gotta seriously start saving up, i guess......:thumbsup:

CG is one of those fields where "outstanding talent" will allow you to get a working visa, if a CG company is willing to handle the paperwork. I have met tons of foreign workers who are hired to work in production and they dont have a degree in computer graphics or programming. Some have no degree at all.

So if you are good, really good, then companies will work hard to get you.

Cheers
Rudy

rebolt
12-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Wow this is really cool News. I would really love to enroll in this school as for Effects TD but sooner in coming year. :thumbsup:

Bsmith
12-31-2006, 04:15 AM
so we work on actual scenes from movies the mentors worked on? Is that acceptable demo reel material? I mean companies won't frown on it as being something that was already created by someone but a lot better right? Like how might that work? thanks

Also I know you are accepting pre registations, but when does it actually begin?

I am very interested in this program and I hope it turns out well.

fxjeane
12-31-2006, 05:14 AM
so we work on actual scenes from movies the mentors worked on? Is that acceptable demo reel material? I mean companies won't frown on it as being something that was already created by someone but a lot better right? Like how might that work? thanks

Mentors will prepare lessons where you will get to apply the same techinques and workarounds that you will face in real productions. These scenes will be replicas (in concept or requirements) of scenes or production tasks that our mentors have worked on. You could use all this material in your demo reel, but remember that most students from TDA might have similar shots, so if you want to stand out you will probably want to use the techniques you learned and create other shots. There are several ways a user can make a shot their own though.

Also I know you are accepting pre registations, but when does it actually begin?

We are aiming to begin on 1st quarter 2007. An announcement will be made as we are closer to the actual date.

Cheers
Rudy

DoubleSupercool
12-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Very interesting stuff. I would love to see some students work after first semester (perhaps a student gallery or ongoing diaries?).

FYI, using my sisters comp (IE6) I am told by your site that IE 6 isn't supported . . . I find this exceedingly strange. As much as you or I would hate to think it, it is still the number one browser out there.

fxjeane
12-31-2006, 06:41 AM
Very interesting stuff. I would love to see some students work after first semester (perhaps a student gallery or ongoing diaries?).

FYI, using my sisters comp (IE6) I am told by your site that IE 6 isn't supported . . . I find this exceedingly strange. As much as you or I would hate to think it, it is still the number one browser out there.

We know IE6 is the most common browser, but if you ever try to develop for it you will realize that there are a lot of things that it doesnt do quite right since it doesnt adhere to w3 standards. Programming the site to support IE6 and the rest of the compliant browsers was becomming extremely messy. At the end, we decided not to support it. People can get IE7 for free from microsoft's website (IE7 is really good!) and Firefox or mozilla from the mozilla website (firefox installer its about 10 megs and firefox is just AWESOME!).

We didnt feel like alienating users with IE6, but we decided it was more important to work on the curriculum and school structure than in getting IE6 to behave nice. :)

We sure hope you all understand.

Cheers
Rudy

rebolt
12-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Sir could you more elaborate on the 'Effects TD' diploma. Like as in comparison to the 5 essentials courses which you have mentioned:

Maths for TDs
Linux Workflow
Python Programming
MEL programming
C++

Could you more explain the course whole outlook and ingredients.

Thanks

xstijn
12-31-2006, 09:49 AM
That is correct.

Thanks for both of the answers.

About the above, is the tuition of the general TD diploma higher then any other diploma like effects TD? Cause general TD students wil have 2 extra courses, so is the tuition higher? Would you also complete those courses in the same time others will complete their 6 courses (18 months)? If so, does this mean, a general TD will go less in depth on stuff?

Thanks in forward for taking the time to answe my quesitons :)
And a happy 2007! :thumbsup:

-nevermind-

I should start reading better :scream:

As with all TD-academy’s diplomas, each diploma consists of 5 essential TD courses (http://td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?scheme=dark#essentials), 5 courses specific to the diploma and 3 courses that are up to the student’s discretion.

Will the modelling actually be a part of any of the courses? I mean sometimes you have to model something to actually animate, render or let it explode :) or will you get pre-made scenes but have the freedom to create your own?

And how exactly will the online thing work? Will you have streaming video 1-on-1 with your mentor, wou will explain things and give you home work as well critic your made homework? How much time per week is spend on this?

Yes, im just out of bed, so don't mind me :wise:

fxjeane
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Sir could you more elaborate on the 'Effects TD' diploma. Like as in comparison to the 5 essentials courses which you have mentioned:

Maths for TDs
Linux Workflow
Python Programming
MEL programming
C++

Could you more explain the course whole outlook and ingredients.

Thanks

Here are all the details regarding the Effects TD diploma.

http://www.td-academy.com/docs/certificates.php?page=effectsTD

Cheers
Rudy

fxjeane
12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Will the modelling actually be a part of any of the courses? I mean sometimes you have to model something to actually animate, render or let it explode :) or will you get pre-made scenes but have the freedom to create your own?

Modeling will not be part of the instruction. You will be supplied models to work with. If you have models of your own you rather use, then you can, but this might distract you from doing the work you where assigned. If you have one week to create particle elements for a car crash (which is already animated and ready to go), then you will use up a lot of your time by re-animating the scene, which means your particles wont be as fine tuned as you could have gotten them.

And how exactly will the online thing work? Will you have streaming video 1-on-1 with your mentor, wou will explain things and give you home work as well critic your made homework? How much time per week is spend on this?

Yes, im just out of bed, so don't mind me :wise:

There will be a dailies system where you can submit your work for review. You will have weekly scheduled video calls with your mentor to ask questions and get feedback. We are in the process of refining all the details of the school structure. As soon as its done we will let you all know. Sorry for not being specific enough, but i would hate to give you information that is not 100% accurate :).

Cheers
Rudy

rebolt
01-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Thanks fxjeane for the link. But i want to ask about the concept behind the Effects TD course which you have mentioned that each TD course is comprising of 13 different courses. 5 basic skills courses, 6 specialised courses and 2 electives courses depending on the diploma. Could you explain on that phase ?

Thanks

Visor66
01-01-2007, 10:59 AM
hi,

this sounds really interesting. I do have a question though! You say:

A TD Academy diploma is made up of 13 different courses: 5 basic skills courses, 6 specialized courses and 2 electives, depending on the diploma.

So lets say, I would like to do the Character TD Diploma. Then I would make the 5 Essential TD courses, all the Charater TD courses (which are 5, thats what Im confused about because you say 6), and would still have 2 (or 3!?!) other courses to choose. So I could go and make 2 (or 3!?) courses of the Rendering TD Diploma in addition, maybe spend the extra money for the other individual courses of the Rendering TD Diploma and after that I would get two diplomas?

I hope you can answer my question. But again, I really like the idea of the td-academy.

BTW, Happy new year! :)

Greetz Visor

mech7
01-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Is it possible to get student finance from the government when you apply for a bachelor degree ?

boomji
01-01-2007, 12:00 PM
sweeet :scream:

b

fxjeane
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks fxjeane for the link. But i want to ask about the concept behind the Effects TD course which you have mentioned that each TD course is comprising of 13 different courses. 5 basic skills courses, 6 specialised courses and 2 electives courses depending on the diploma. Could you explain on that phase ?

Thanks

Yes. Every person that is working towards a diploma must finish the 5 basic TD skills courses. Then you need to finish the 6 specialized courses for your diploma, and finally you get to choose 2 elective courses to study any other areas that you might be interested in. This is done so that you are not a "one trick pony". TD's must have the ability to tackle different tasks from different areas. Sometimes you need to come up with solutions that integrate two departments and you cant do that if you only know how to do one thing.

I dont know if this answers your question. Most of the details are on the site. If this didnt answer your question please reply to this message and try to be a little more specific.

Cheers
Rudy

fxjeane
01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
hi,

this sounds really interesting. I do have a question though! You say:

A TD Academy diploma is made up of 13 different courses: 5 basic skills courses, 6 specialized courses and 2 electives, depending on the diploma.

So lets say, I would like to do the Character TD Diploma. Then I would make the 5 Essential TD courses, all the Charater TD courses (which are 5, thats what Im confused about because you say 6), and would still have 2 (or 3!?!) other courses to choose. So I could go and make 2 (or 3!?) courses of the Rendering TD Diploma in addition, maybe spend the extra money for the other individual courses of the Rendering TD Diploma and after that I would get two diplomas?

Yes, that is correct. All diplomas will be 5 basic courses, 6 specialized and 2 electives. The curriculum is still being developed to make sure that our students learn all the skills necesary to make them "top notch" tds. Developing the curriculum takes a lot of thinking, we initially thought 5 specialized courses would be enough, but after long discussions it was spotted that several techniques and concepts where not given enough time. We decided to add one more course to make sure our students had the right ammount of time to learn the necesary concepts. The online curriculum will be updated soon, the changes however will not be drastic, just a little re-arangeing to fit things a little better. :)

I hope you can answer my question. But again, I really like the idea of the td-academy.

BTW, Happy new year! :)

Greetz Visor

We are glad you like the idea. We like it too and we felt that there was a huge gap on learning resources for TDs. We will work our behinds really hard to give you guys the best TD training available.

Happy new year!
Rudy

cosku
01-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Nice idea,
I hope it works out for you guys.
Cheers :)

Visor66
01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Rudy,

thanks for your quick answer! I will be watching the td-academy site, thats for sure!

But first, here is another question: If I would do it the way I described in my previous post, making the CharacterTD diploma, choosing two courses of the Rendering TD diploma and paying for the other Rendering TD courses and therefore making two diplomas, do you think its possible to do this in 18 months as well? Would you say your program is a full time program or do you think students would have time to work besides studying as well?

In half a year, I will be ready with uni here in germany. After that I want to get my foot more into cg. Your program really is a new option for me. So I really hope its coming along well. Whish you guys all the best for it!

Greetz

Pascal

KEdwards
01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Great to see another option for VFX training!

Two questions.

I understand you're still solidifying details but I would really like an estimate of the expected weekly one on one time that each student would be receiving from the Industry Mentors. Any idea of what we could safely assume?

Also, would the students be working directly with original footage from the referenced film effect? Obviously this could lead to complex right of use issues... If not, what would be expected for alternative background plates?

Kev

cganimator
01-03-2007, 05:01 AM
CG is one of those fields where "outstanding talent" will allow you to get a working visa, if a CG company is willing to handle the paperwork. I have met tons of foreign workers who are hired to work in production and they dont have a degree in computer graphics or programming. Some have no degree at all.

So if you are good, really good, then companies will work hard to get you.

Cheers
Rudy

If you are an alien(yeah... US gov call us "alien"), you need an working VISA to work in US. Usually H1B is the vis, and to get H1B, you need to have Bechelor degree that is related with your job.

If you don't have Bechelor degree but experience, 3 year experiences can replace 1 year college education. So... you need more than 12 years experiences in the same field if you didn't go college at all. If you went 2 years and quit, you need 6 years experiences.

There is also another option. Since CG is an art field, you might get O visa, a visa for an artist who has "outstanding talent".

BUT, The problem is that you need to prove your "outstanding talent" by "document" not portfoilo. You need to have some awards, publication, etc also need several reference letter from industry professional. All these things mean that it is very hard to get.

In conclusion, if you are a fresh graduated alien, it is almost imposibble to work in US without Bechelor degree.

fxjeane
01-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi Rudy,

thanks for your quick answer! I will be watching the td-academy site, thats for sure!

But first, here is another question: If I would do it the way I described in my previous post, making the CharacterTD diploma, choosing two courses of the Rendering TD diploma and paying for the other Rendering TD courses and therefore making two diplomas, do you think its possible to do this in 18 months as well? Would you say your program is a full time program or do you think students would have time to work besides studying as well?

In half a year, I will be ready with uni here in germany. After that I want to get my foot more into cg. Your program really is a new option for me. So I really hope its coming along well. Whish you guys all the best for it!

Greetz

Pascal

Well, most courses are designed to build on the knowledge from the previous courses. If you are combining "diplomas" there might be the oportunity to take more than one course at the time. It all depends on availability of the course and the mentors. Once you are ready to enroll let us know of your request and we will try to accomodate to your schedule.

Cheers

Rudy

fxjeane
01-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Great to see another option for VFX training!

Two questions.

I understand you're still solidifying details but I would really like an estimate of the expected weekly one on one time that each student would be receiving from the Industry Mentors. Any idea of what we could safely assume?

Also, would the students be working directly with original footage from the referenced film effect? Obviously this could lead to complex right of use issues... If not, what would be expected for alternative background plates?

Kev

Users will usually have 1.5 hours per week. One half hour session that will be the "hand over" of the shot. Here the mentor explains the task, gives you some pointers and gives you all the info you need to go to work. The other hour is kind of a "dailies session" where the mentor will give you feedback on your work and advice you on how you can improve your shot. Form them you have your final submission which will be graded and commented by the mentor. Through this whole process you always have access to private messages with your mentor, so you can ask questions at any time.

Students will not use original footage. TDA will provide all the necesary footage. The scenes our students will be working on will be replicas of scenes that our mentors have worked on.

Cheers

fxjeane
01-03-2007, 06:05 AM
If you are an alien(yeah... US gov call us "alien"), you need an working VISA to work in US. Usually H1B is the vis, and to get H1B, you need to have Bechelor degree that is related with your job.

If you don't have Bechelor degree but experience, 3 year experiences can replace 1 year college education. So... you need more than 12 years experiences in the same field if you didn't go college at all. If you went 2 years and quit, you need 6 years experiences.

There is also another option. Since CG is an art field, you might get O visa, a visa for an artist who has "outstanding talent".

BUT, The problem is that you need to prove your "outstanding talent" by "document" not portfoilo. You need to have some awards, publication, etc also need several reference letter from industry professional. All these things mean that it is very hard to get.

In conclusion, if you are a fresh graduated alien, it is almost imposibble to work in US without Bechelor degree.

I dissagree. I have met many international workers who are still pretty young. Some of them have no college degree. They are all however among the "top talent in the world". I dont know exactly what strings the companies have to pull to sponsor a visa. But if you are good, really good and a company wants you, they will figure out a way.

I dont want to give people the wrong idea, getting hired by the top dogs is hard. A company like Disney, ILM, Pixar, Dreamworks dont hire people with little or no experience (unless they are one of those PHENOMS who is just a genius). So you will probably have to go work for smaller studios to gain more experience. Thats how most people do it. I have met very little people who got into one of the mayor studios with no previous work experience.

Cheers
Rudy

rebolt
01-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Yes. Every person that is working towards a diploma must finish the 5 basic TD skills courses. Then you need to finish the 6 specialized courses for your diploma, and finally you get to choose 2 elective courses to study any other areas that you might be interested in. This is done so that you are not a "one trick pony". TD's must have the ability to tackle different tasks from different areas. Sometimes you need to come up with solutions that integrate two departments and you cant do that if you only know how to do one thing.

I dont know if this answers your question. Most of the details are on the site. If this didnt answer your question please reply to this message and try to be a little more specific.

Cheers
Rudy

Thanks alot Rudy for the reply. So your are saying that if i choose 'Effects TD' diploma then, I have to do 5 basic course which is: (Maths TD, Python Programming, Linux, MEL Programming and C++) and after that i have to do the 5 or 6 specialised course which is related to my diploma i.e. (Intro to Houdini, Houdini production techq., Intro to Maya and Maya production techq. etc) and after completing that i have to choose 2 elective courses from 'Rendering TD' or ' Character TD'. Am i right ?

cganimator
01-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I dissagree. I have met many international workers who are still pretty young. Some of them have no college degree. They are all however among the "top talent in the world". I dont know exactly what strings the companies have to pull to sponsor a visa. But if you are good, really good and a company wants you, they will figure out a way.

I dont want to give people the wrong idea, getting hired by the top dogs is hard. A company like Disney, ILM, Pixar, Dreamworks dont hire people with little or no experience (unless they are one of those PHENOMS who is just a genius). So you will probably have to go work for smaller studios to gain more experience. Thats how most people do it. I have met very little people who got into one of the mayor studios with no previous work experience.

Cheers
Rudy

You can disagree.. But, what I said is a law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-1_Visa

There can be an young alien worker. If you graduate college as fast as you can, you can graduate at 22.

As myself is an alien worker in US, i just want to say Bechelor's Degree is very important for alien to work in US.

KEdwards
01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Rudy.

Users will usually have 1.5 hours per week. One half hour session that will be the "hand over" of the shot. Here the mentor explains the task, gives you some pointers and gives you all the info you need to go to work. The other hour is kind of a "dailies session" where the mentor will give you feedback on your work and advice you on how you can improve your shot. Form them you have your final submission which will be graded and commented by the mentor.

OK, so it would be safe to say that on average the student could rely on one hour of 1 on 1 per week. (Since there wouldn't be a new project to go over EVERY week right?)

This sounds good for the working professional looking to upgrade but what about those that are just starting out? Mentors are great for tips and developing our eye but TD work must be very software intensive?

What would you recommend as a suppliment for those without pre-existing software experience? Training videos are cool but the cost of filling out a sizeable library can really add up. Maybe you could supply pre-requisite list for each project?

Also, from what I've read good TD's are usually senior artists that have several years of experience under their belts. Will the industry be willing to hire a student directly into a TD position?

Kev

fxjeane
01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
You can disagree.. But, what I said is a law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-1_Visa

There can be an young alien worker. If you graduate college as fast as you can, you can graduate at 22.

As myself is an alien worker in US, i just want to say Bechelor's Degree is very important for alien to work in US.

Yes, it is law and I dont disagree with your point or your knowledge of the law :). All im saying is that I have worked with many international workers who dont have a degree. Like I said, if a company really wants you they will do all the paper work to get you.

I will also agree that I havent met many 19 - 22 year old people on this position (working visa without degree). Thats why I say people will more than likely have to get a job at a smaller studio to gain experience (this is also true for american workers that want to work at ILM, Pixar,etc). Without experience it will be extremely hard to get a working visa.

Cheers and have a great day! :)

Rudy

fxjeane
01-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Rudy.

OK, so it would be safe to say that on average the student could rely on one hour of 1 on 1 per week. (Since there wouldn't be a new project to go over EVERY week right?)

This sounds good for the working professional looking to upgrade but what about those that are just starting out? Mentors are great for tips and developing our eye but TD work must be very software intensive?

The mentor 1 on 1 session and direct line of communication through private messaging is only one part of our system. You will receive PDF files, digital movies and scene files. The PDFs will explain in detail how to do things. The movies will provide visual reference of what is covered on the PDF and for things that are just to complicated to explain in writing.

What would you recommend as a suppliment for those without pre-existing software experience? Training videos are cool but the cost of filling out a sizeable library can really add up. Maybe you could supply pre-requisite list for each project?

For our system you need to have a basic knowledge of maya and/or Houdini. I wouldnt recommend you to buy any material since there is a wealth of resources that cover the basics of these packages. Maya ships with several free movies and there are tons of tutorials in the sidefx website. Google around and you will fill find tons of info that can get you up to speed with the basics of these apps.

Also, from what I've read good TD's are usually senior artists that have several years of experience under their belts. Will the industry be willing to hire a student directly into a TD position?

Kev

That depends on the studio. A big studio such as Pixar or ILM is not likely to hire someone into a TD possition without experience, unless you are extremely good. Chances are people will have to start as an assitant TD and then move up to a TD possition. If you are hired into a smaller studio you have better chances of landing a TD possition. Personally, I got hired at The Orphanage (a smaller studio) directly into a TD position. That was my first job on the film industry, but i had paid my dues by working on architectural visualization for 3 years. So I did get hired as a TD without any film experiece, but i was already pretty savvy with 3d apps, RenderMan and scripting from all the self-studying and the 3 years of doing 3d full time.

Cheers!
Rudy

rebolt
01-04-2007, 06:18 AM
That is the truth unless you are a genius or having some good experience in the industry working for years then these big bulls will hire you. Otherwise you have to start from a medium sized production house or vfx studio.

One more thing rudy. If someone graduates from TD Academy holding a diploma will the academy helps the candidate to get recruited by some of the good vfx studios in the industry as a TD or assistant TD ?

fxjeane
01-05-2007, 04:43 AM
That is the truth unless you are a genius or having some good experience in the industry working for years then these big bulls will hire you. Otherwise you have to start from a medium sized production house or vfx studio.

One more thing rudy. If someone graduates from TD Academy holding a diploma will the academy helps the candidate to get recruited by some of the good vfx studios in the industry as a TD or assistant TD ?

Since we are still a new school we dont have a formal "placement department". We are planning to set something up in the future, but at the moment you must consider the following.

1 - Our mentors are among the best contacts to help with placement. I have run so many times into situations where we need to hire knowledgeable entry level RenderMan people and it is a nightmare to find them. If I know I have just finished mentoring someone who is really good, I would more than likely recommend him for the oppening. Im sure the same applies to most of our mentors.

2 - We will have a job board where studios can submitt their job oppenings.

3 - A well trained TD is hard to find. Having all the righ skills on your resume and a good reel will realy open doors.

With time, as the school solidifies as an entity we will come up with a program to help place our students.

Cheers

Rudy

Vril3D
01-06-2007, 04:06 AM
I wanted to ask if you will be providing any form of payment plans for the 18 Month Diploma Program Tuition?
Or will it be limited to full payment on entry into a Diploma course.
Will there be a few payment options is what I need to know?

Vril3D
01-09-2007, 06:02 AM
I just realised you answered my question on the first page of the thread!!!

fxjeane (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=4642) said

" a. We are setting up interest free payments plans through some credit card companies for international students"

I hope all goes well with the final stages of getting the TD-Academy (http://forums.cgsociety.org/) up and running.

I'm looking forward to receiving my registration info.

barlim3
01-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Wanted to ask about exemptions. What happens if I'm already familiar with the materials covered in most of the essential courses? Is there some sort of test which i can take to get exempted from it and jump straight to the specialise courses? or instead replace the these essential courses with other specialise courses?

fxjeane
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Wanted to ask about exemptions. What happens if I'm already familiar with the materials covered in most of the essential courses? Is there some sort of test which i can take to get exempted from it and jump straight to the specialise courses? or instead replace the these essential courses with other specialise courses?

Yes. We will give our students the option to "test out" of a required class if they already have experience in the give area.

Cheers
Rudy

crawfordarts
02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
What happened to your website? I tried signing up a few weeks ago but kept getting submit errors with your form. Now the site has been down for about a week... What's up?

Vril3D
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Lets hear some noise Td_Academy.
Some news would be well appreciated!! :bounce:

Cowboy79
02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
When do the courses start??

crawfordarts
03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Well......guess this thread is dead. I wonder if the school is also.

Vril3D
03-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Well the website is still up:thumbsup:

I for one hope that the school gets off the ground.
It's a great idea.
Setting up a school like this is no doubt an extremely complex task, waiting for it to go on line is not a huge issue.
I would much prefer that the system runs smoothly when it goes online than using an un beta tested system.

That said a progress report would be well appreciated.

Perhaps one of us should email the team to see if we can get a direct result.

drGonzo
04-08-2007, 09:56 PM
People, sorry for the long silcene, but we have been flat out at TD.

In what follows an update of what has been happening at TD-Academy. We have been working around the clock to get our member’s area up and running as soon as possible. I have been testing the site on a daily basis and I have to say I am very excited about all this cutting-edge technology we will be able to provide to our students.

One of the center pieces of TDA’s learning process is the “weeklies viewer”. It is an interactive image viewer/feedback system complete with all bells and whistles imaginable, very similar to the dailies system that most of us have at our facilities. Student will be able to submit their assignments to it and receive instant feedback from mentors and peers.

Another exciting aspect of the member’s area is the complete integration of a “smart” calendar/scheduling system. Since mentors and student will be all over the world, a convenient and efficient task-scheduling system has been one of our priorities since the beginning and it is really satisfying to finally see it in action.

Since our member’s area will have to many features to be mentioned here, I will make a instructional video about “the TDA learning experience” pretty soon and put it online for all to see.

I am also very pleased to announce that we have reached strategic agreements with Pixar and SideFX through which TDA will develop training materials that adhere to the software developer's standards of competency; as well as qualifying our students for educational license pricing. Similar agreements with Autodesk and Softimage are being finalized in the course of this month.

With all these thins going on, we were however forced to postpone our launch date with a couple of weeks. We are now planning to go live in june of this year.

We are looking forward to answering any questions you might have.

Vril3D
04-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the update.
I'm very glad to hear things are still moving along with going live.
The strategic agreements with Pixar and SideFX sound like they will be a great addition to the course.

You have got me all excited again!!

rebolt
04-09-2007, 04:38 AM
That's great news. That you guys are having aggrements with Pixar and Sidefx. But what my major concern is the accredition of your diploma Any further information on that part ?

Ollarin
04-09-2007, 11:45 AM
People, sorry for the long silcene, but we have been flat out at TD.

In what follows an update of what has been happening at TD-Academy. We have been working around the clock to get our member’s area up and running as soon as possible. I have been testing the site on a daily basis and I have to say I am very excited about all this cutting-edge technology we will be able to provide to our students.

One of the center pieces of TDA’s learning process is the “weeklies viewer”. It is an interactive image viewer/feedback system complete with all bells and whistles imaginable, very similar to the dailies system that most of us have at our facilities. Student will be able to submit their assignments to it and receive instant feedback from mentors and peers.

Another exciting aspect of the member’s area is the complete integration of a “smart” calendar/scheduling system. Since mentors and student will be all over the world, a convenient and efficient task-scheduling system has been one of our priorities since the beginning and it is really satisfying to finally see it in action.

Since our member’s area will have to many features to be mentioned here, I will make a instructional video about “the TDA learning experience” pretty soon and put it online for all to see.

I am also very pleased to announce that we have reached strategic agreements with Pixar and SideFX through which TDA will develop training materials that adhere to the software developer's standards of competency; as well as qualifying our students for educational license pricing. Similar agreements with Autodesk and Softimage are being finalized in the course of this month.

With all these thins going on, we were however forced to postpone our launch date with a couple of weeks. We are now planning to go live in june of this year.

We are looking forward to answering any questions you might have.

Sounds awesome Kevin! I would definetly sign up when i get the chance. (After i finish my current course. :p)

Hoooeeerrr! Haha! Good times! :thumbsup:

drGonzo
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
But what my major concern is the accredition of your diploma Any further information on that part ?

We are working on getting our courses accredited by governement agencies in the US and in Singapore.

However, TDA's courses are developed and delivered by industry veterans with at least 3 years of feature film experience. In production (=to get a job), no piece of paper from any government (or any other) agency will ever top those years of experience in film production.

Add to that the fact that in the near future TDA's courses and diploma's will get certified by the software vendors (Pixar, Autodesk, Softimage, SideFX) and you have the most solid and versatile accreditation available on the market.

inguatu
04-09-2007, 06:13 PM
any example classes available on the website? It may be adventageous since the tuition isn't that cheap.

eek
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
We are working on getting our courses accredited by governement agencies in the US and in Singapore.

However, TDA's courses are developed and delivered by industry veterans with at least 3 years of feature film experience. In production (=to get a job), no piece of paper from any government (or any other) agency will ever top those years of experience in film production.

Add to that the fact that in the near future TDA's courses and diploma's will get certified by the software vendors (Pixar, Autodesk, Softimage, SideFX) and you have the most solid and versatile accreditation available on the market.

Hi Dr Gonzo,

I have a copy of Houdini Apprentice (been playing with it slowly) on my machine at home, and would love to do this course. But i dont think my visa supports any sort of academic learning, accedited or not. I'll talk to my employer to find out more.

Cheers,

drGonzo
04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
any example classes available on the website?
Not yet. However, we will make a instructional video about “the TDA learning experience” pretty soon and put it online for all to see.

It may be adventageous since the tuition isn't that cheap.
Please take into account that you will be getting personal, 1-on1 tuition from people who worked on films like Star Wars, The Incredibles, The Matrix and so on. This means that they will not just be the authors of the course you learn; they will personally be there to help you out and assist you in your tasks. You will truly get "1-on-1 tuition from an industry veteran."

In this conext, it might be worthwhile to compare TDA to a "normal" 3D university.

If you were to take a 3D degree at a university, it will cost you much more then a diploma at TDA. A university course will also take a lot longer: usually 4 years largely filled with topics that may not even relevant for your personal interest. At TDA you can pick only those courses that suit you. Also, to attend a university you will also have to physically move (=extra cost) to go to a good school. TDA is completely on-line, with an on-line community that mimics the production environment of large production houses like Digital Domain and Pixar.

There are a couple more questions which are worth mentioning in this matter: are graduates of a 4-year university course really ready for high-end production? Will their professors teach them production workflows based on years of high-end production experience? Will every single one of their teachers at that university have a list of film credits as long as my arm? Upon graduation of that university, will they have contacts in most large production houses?
These questions are obviously rhetoric, because at TDA all these things are indeed the case. :)

You can find a lot more info on this matter at http://www.td-academy.com/docs/aboutus.php?page=whytda&scheme=dark (http://www.td-academy.com/docs/aboutus.php?page=whytda&scheme=dark).

In short, TDA offers you time-efficient, production-tested education at a fraction of the price of a university.

(Not to mention the fact that you can pick and choose from our extremely flexible curriculum if you are already in production and want to expand your knowledge.)

If you have any further questions, you can of course post them here, mail our support desk at info@td-academy, or contact me personally on MSN (kmannens@hotmail.com).

I am looking forward to hearing from you guys and girls. :thumbsup:

drGonzo
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I have a copy of Houdini Apprentice (been playing with it slowly) on my machine at home, and would love to do this course. But i dont think my visa supports any sort of academic learning, accedited or not. I'll talk to my employer to find out more.

TDA is completely online, hence there is no need for a visa. Our online community will create a deadline-driven production environment in your own living room (or wherever you want).

inguatu
04-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I didn't mean to offend you about the cost of tuition. It was more geared towards not having any examples or intro stuff on the site. It would be like buying an expensive car from a website without being able to test drive it or even get a picture. :)

drGonzo
04-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I didn't mean to offend you about the cost of tuition. It was more geared towards not having any examples or intro stuff on the site. It would be like buying an expensive car from a website without being able to test drive it or even get a picture. :)

I wasn't offended, I was just comparing notes on TDA vs a university :thumbsup:

And you are completely correct about the examples on the site. We will put a course example up shortly after we put the video online.

If you want to get updated as soon as this happens, please subscribe to our newsletter.

eek
04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
TDA is completely online, hence there is no need for a visa. Our online community will create a deadline-driven production environment in your own living room (or wherever you want).

Ah ok excellent Kevin, thankyou for the info - now all i need is the time (pretty busy atm) :) I'll subscribe to the mailing list.

Thanks,

rebolt
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
But one thing which i am confused is your academy is based in UK then why ur getting accredition from Singapore and US ? Why not UK govt.? That's true that as far as experience and quality of education is concern you will provide the cream of the cake but somewhere accredition is really important for an educational institution not only professionally but also from govt. point of view. I hope you are getting my point and my major concern. Your fees structure is quite descent which i really liked about it. One more thing i would like to ask is that do i need to have a production experience to get into TDA ?

Thanks

ChewyPixels
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Do you offer student loans? I did not see anything on the website regarding this matter. I would definitely be interested in applying if a student loan was an option.

drGonzo
04-10-2007, 06:58 PM
But one thing which i am confused is your academy is based in UK then why ur getting accredition from Singapore and US ? Why not UK govt.? That's true that as far as experience and quality of education is concern you will provide the cream of the cake but somewhere accredition is really important for an educational institution not only professionally but also from govt. point of view. I hope you are getting my point and my major concern. Your fees structure is quite descent which i really liked about it.

Thanks

TD-Academy is not located in the UK. We are completely online; as such we do not have a physical location. The founders of TDA are located in LA, London and Singapore, but the school is completely on-line.

We can not get accredited in the UK, simply because there is no governement agency in the UK that accredits schools like TD-Academy. This kind of agency does however exist in the US and in Singapore.

One more thing i would like to ask is that do i need to have a production experience to get into TDA ?
No.

For introduction courses, you need to have basic Maya and/or Houdini experience. We expect our users to already know how to use Maya and its most basic concepts. It would not make much sense to have a 10 year VFX veteran to show users how to "create a light" in Maya. There are plenty of free online resources to learn about the basics of Maya and Houdini. We recommend people to use those to learn the basics of the software and then let our mentors show you how to make fantastic shots like the ones they have done in the past. This will also enable you to get the most out of the 1-on-1 time with your mentor.

For more advanced courses (like the Production Techniques courses) there are more specific pre-requisites. If you want to enroll in one these courses without having completed the relevant TD-Academy introduction courses, you will have to prove that you have the necessary, relevant knowledge. This can be done by passing a questionnaire and/or by providing a demo-reel and resume. The final decision lies with the mentor.

drGonzo
04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Do you offer student loans? I did not see anything on the website regarding this matter. I would definitely be interested in applying if a student loan was an option.

TD Academy doesn't offer any direct financial assistance to our students. We are however, in the process of establishing relationships with several lending companies that offer student loans.

drGonzo
04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Please note that to make feedback more efficient our site has a FAQ section at:

http://www.td-academy.com/docs/aboutus.php?page=faq

Please have a read as most questions are answered on that page.

If you have any additional questions, please drop us a line.

drGonzo
04-13-2007, 09:50 PM
It's official: TD-Academy joins up with Pixar and SESI.

You can find the press-releases at:
http://www.td-academy.com/docs/aboutus.php?page=news

drGonzo
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
After months of digital slavery, hundreds of midnight pizza deliveries and plenty of cups of coffee, we at TDA have finally completed our much anticipated member's area. It has turned out to be a nice piece of cutting-edge web-technology that will bring a deadline-driven feature film production environment right in your living room, bedroom or (if you are so inclined) bathroom.

Before we unveil this technical marvel to the world, we would like to give it one last thorough test-run to iron out any creases it might still have. That is why we are looking for 2 “demo-students” who are willing to beta-test our member's area. They will receive a 50% discount on the offered course. In return for this discount all they need to do is report any bugs they run into during their learning process.

The course on offer is “Introduction to MEL” taught by FX technical director and TDA founder Kevin Mannens. The course will start sometime in June and go on for 6 weeks. If you wish to be considered for this incredible offer, please contact us at betastudent@td-academy.com

We are looking forward to your mails.

Michiko
06-01-2007, 02:56 AM
I just received this email from TD Academy. Did anyone out there pre-enroll for this online school? If so, have they told you what exactly is going on?

------------------------ here is the message ------------------------

Over the last few months we have been working tirelessly
to get TD-Academy ready for an official school opening. While we have been
hard at work, some new developments have taken place at TD-Academy that we
feel the need to share with you.

TD-Academy was founded by 2 visual effects
professionals (the talent) and 2 investors (the money). The talent was to
provide the ideas and the investors where to pay for the development of
those ideas. Over the last several months the talent has been running into
some disagreements with the investors. Differences that have escalated to
the breaking point, at which the talent decided to terminate all
relationships with the investors regarding TD-Academy.

We (the talent) believe 100% in the concept of an
on-line school dedicated to the "obscure arts" of technical
direction. As such we still are utterly committed to developing this idea
and we are currently taking all the necessary steps to start our own
on-line school. We firmly believe that through this separation we will be
able to serve you better and ultimately provide you with the best on-line
learning experience for technical directors available.

In the process of regrouping and relaunching we will have to take a small
break to concentrate exclusively on getting our new school ready for a
summer release. Now that we are completely in charge of the development of
our new school things will progress much faster and the quality of the
work will be of an even higher standard then before. We plan to be up an
running in mid-July.

We sincerely hope you understand our position as every decision we take,
especially such a transcendent one as the one of leaving the investors and
starting our own school, is always done with our future students in mind
and how we can make things better for them.

We will be getting in touch with you within the next month to let you know
how things are progressing. Please note that we can no longer be reached
through our td-academy.com email addresses and that info@td-academy.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@td-academy.com)
will not be monitored by us anymore.

Until then we would like to thank you for your current support and we hope
you will continue to support us once we start our new school.

Sincerely

Rudy Cortes and Kevin Mannens

drGonzo
06-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I just received this email from TD Academy. Did anyone out there pre-enroll for this online school? If so, have they told you what exactly is going on?

Hi Michiko -

From the student's point of view this change will only affect them in a positive way. The school is now completely in the hands of the creatives and this will only benefit the students. We didn't want to fall in the same trap as so many other companies that are mis-managed by bean-counters and pencil-pushers instead of the artists, so we took matters in our own hands. Soon we will announce the new name/look/feel and you will see, it is even bigger and better then before.

Watch this space, because it is very very hot!!

Murganimata
06-14-2007, 03:05 AM
i received ths email too. i have been watching this forum cos i preregistered with them from india long time ago and have been waiting for ages. now it sounds very worriesome for me. i dont like the sound of this

MadMax
06-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Looking at that reply kind of scares me.

Being completely in the hands of the "creatives" is not necessarily a good thing, and I've frequently seen that kind of situation spell disaster on numerous occasions.

Creatives tend to think only about the end goal, and forget the little common sense necessities along the way that are required to make a business a sucess.

I've seen more than one occasion where a couple of artists think because they have talents, they are a studio and are going to take the world by storm. Only to fail miserably.

I'd been watching this TD Academy thing, I was interested, but to be honest, I'm more than a little skeptical now.

Hi Michiko -

From the student's point of view this change will only affect them in a positive way. The school is now completely in the hands of the creatives and this will only benefit the students. We didn't want to fall in the same trap as so many other companies that are mis-managed by bean-counters and pencil-pushers instead of the artists, so we took matters in our own hands. Soon we will announce the new name/look/feel and you will see, it is even bigger and better then before.

Watch this space, because it is very very hot!!

fxjeane
06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello Everyone.

I know we are on times of uncertainty so I will try my best to put your mids at ease.

i received ths email too. i have been watching this forum cos i preregistered with them from India long time ago and have been waiting for ages. now it sounds very worrisome for me. i dont like the sound of this.

We understand your preoccupation Murganimata, Things have taken longer than anticipated, which is the precise reason we decided to part ways from our "investors". Things where not moving forward on the financial front and that was holding the company back. After a lot of thinking on what would be best for the school and our future students, we decided that we would go and make it work on our own. Things are moving forward very fast nowadays. We have had to put everything into 6th gear since our new school will be based in California and there are a lot of rules and regulations that we need to adhere to. We will continue to work extremely hard to get the school up and going ASAP. We will keep you all posted of any new developments.

Looking at that reply kind of scares me.

Being completely in the hands of the "creatives" is not necessarily a good thing, and I've frequently seen that kind of situation spell disaster on numerous occasions.

Creatives tend to think only about the end goal, and forget the little common sense necessities along the way that are required to make a business a sucess.

I've seen more than one occasion where a couple of artists think because they have talents, they are a studio and are going to take the world by storm. Only to fail miserably.

I'd been watching this TD Academy thing, I was interested, but to be honest, I'm more than a little skeptical now.

Yes, you are correct, many "creatives" are usually not that savvy on the business side, but there is one thing you have overlooked, our "creatives" are all TD's and if you have met TD's in the past you will know that most of us are extremely analytical and are always concerned in getting things right. What we meant by the "being completely in hands of the creatives" is that ALL of our founder partners are now TD's with plenty of years in the industry and a wealth of knowledge and contacts. This was not the case before, so we believe our new structure makes us stronger than before.
We will be honest with everyone, even though none of us has ever run a school before, some of us have owned businesses in the past. Not being experienced in one area does not mean that you cant learn and be successful in that area, after all, i remember 8 years ago I was launching Lightwave for the first time in my PC and I could barely model a cube, and there was a button for that!!! :) :). Years of dedication have allowed many of us to reach high levels in our careers. Also, look at Gnomon or Animation Mentor, none of those guys had experience running schools before and look at what fantastic work they are doing. So we believe that the "creatives" are very capable of establishing and growing a business. We know what our limitations are, thats why we are talking to many advisors and consultants that will help us get the school up and running in an efficient manner.

I hope I was able to bring a bit of relief to those skeptic feelings of everyone out there. We are working very hard and we will get our TD school to work. Please keep posted for future news.

Sincerely
"Don" Rudy Cortes

rebolt
06-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I am really looking forward to TD Academy which i think will be on soon.
I am waiting for it to start fullfledged and to serve better and foremost quality
education to people who want to become Technical Directors in future.

Best Of Luck :thumbsup:

Murganimata
06-18-2007, 08:39 AM
thank u don rudy for trying to help me put my fears aside. my father is the one who is to be paying the tuition fees and he is worried as i am only a fresh graduate with less than 0.5 years experiences and he feels that what is happening in your school isvery worrying to him. so far he wants mt to attend a reputable school in u.s. so maybe one your schol is up and running i can convince him again

Reflexx
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Is there a reason that a web site for Intense Animation Studios comes up when I try looking at the TD-Academy site?

drGonzo
06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi Reflexx,

Please have a look at the newsletter that Michiko posted.

In essence, due to some managerial changes, Rudy and myself are re-structuring and re-designing TDA. We will reveal the new name and look at the end of this summer.
The people we seperated from were hosting the original site and they took it off-line.

Just to be clear: TD-Academy will soon be back up under a new name. We are still going strong.

TAVO
10-02-2007, 09:08 PM
no news lately?? is TD Academy over ?? or are they still working on it ? i was interested in it, but i think it could be canceled by now.

drGonzo
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
no news lately?? is TD Academy over ?? or are they still working on it ? i was interested in it, but i think it could be canceled by now.

We are still here and we will be opening our doors very soon. It's just an unfortunate fact of life that these things always take longer then predicted.

drGonzo
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Ooops - sorry for the multiple posts, my connection is acting up...

drGonzo
10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Ooops - sorry for the multiple posts, my connection is acting up...

TAVO
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM
great man, keep us informed please.

Morty
02-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Any new updates?

Thanks.

drGonzo
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
We are currently finishing up our initial course and beta-testing our website.
We start accepting applications in the very near future.

TAVO
04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
any updates ?? i´m really looking for any news, is it still going on ? or not ?, thank you.

drGonzo
04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
TAVO -
We are currently in our final beta-stage. We actually already have some people enrolled who are putting our system through it's paces.

Watch this space...

TAVO
04-17-2008, 03:06 AM
great, thanks.

eek
04-17-2008, 04:13 AM
TAVO -
We are currently in our final beta-stage. We actually already have some people enrolled who are putting our system through it's paces.

Watch this space...

Definately man - keep us informed.

drGonzo
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
We know it has been a while since you heard from us, but that is only because we have been busy re-building our website to provide you with the best on-line learning experience possible. We went through a small alpha test a while back and we weren't completely happy with our site, so we binned it and started over. The new testing site is now up and running and we currently have a number of beta-students enrolled in order to get real-life student feedback on both the courses and the on-line system.

So far our new system proves to be very robust and versatile, so we are confident that as soon as these students finish this course we will be able to provide our services to the general public. We hope to welcome you all as soon as we open our doors.

CobraX
04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Hello Dr.Gonzo,

I am very glad to read these updates, I am sure that there is a lot of quality work put into this.

I can't wait to see what you guys are going to offer, has it changed from what is written on this thread and would you mind refreshing a bit memories with the course outline for the different diplomas?

I guess that the course is going to start is in the next 6 weeks if this how long a term last. I am very eager to get more information as you can see :)

Cheers and thank you!

Xavier.

drGonzo
04-24-2008, 06:01 AM
I can't wait to see what you guys are going to offer, has it changed from what is written on this thread and would you mind refreshing a bit memories with the course outline for the different diplomas?

The course content has stayed the same, but we re-designed the degrees and certificates a bit. Our public website which has all the details will be revealved in a couple of weeks. We will keep you posted of any further developments.

bfx
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
The course content has stayed the same, but we re-designed the degrees and certificates a bit. Our public website which has all the details will be revealved in a couple of weeks. We will keep you posted of any further developments.

Hello

this is actually a very good news
I am very interested in such online courses too
can we have more details about the contents of courses ?
I am starting learning Python and Houdini on my own but I think this could help me learn faster and further
will lessons start from scratch or will it require some base knowledge ?

Thanks for keeping us posted
and thanks for your work to make this kind of project available

Bruno

drGonzo
04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
can we have more details about the contents of courses ?
Our website, which has all the information about the courses, will be online in a couple of weeks. Please bear with is till then.

I am starting learning Python and Houdini on my own but I think this could help me learn faster and further
will lessons start from scratch or will it require some base knowledge ?

Our programming courses are aimed at people with serious 3D experience, but without programming knowledge. All our introductionary courses starts of basic, but we expect our students to get to an intermediate level in 1 -2 weeks. The last 4 weeks of each course are hard-core, with advanced concepts and very involved homework. It is important to realize that we are not a "learning 3D" school. We teach students advanced, technical production techniques.

Again, please bear with us a little bit longer. Soon we will be able to provide you will all the information in a structured and streamlined way. ;-)

findgus
04-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I am glad that td-academy is finally ready to start.
I was trying to get into the beta courses but apparently you already filled up.
I know that we are suppose to wait for another couple of weeks til the website is finally up and running, but could you just give us an estimate timing for the first courses to start?

thanks,

g.

TAVO
04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
yes, an estimate date will be great to star preparing my credit card, etc, etc

drGonzo
04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I was trying to get into the beta courses but apparently you already filled up.
Yeah we filled up within the first hour or so. PM me your email and I will see what I can do to put you on the next one.

I know that we are suppose to wait for another couple of weeks til the website is finally up and running, but could you just give us an estimate timing for the first courses to start?
Hopefully it will be within a month or so. We just want to make sure that we fix all the issues that might come up during the beta phase.

modelermaningo
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I am from singapore and i heard the split with TDA investors was not nice and there is money owed. what's worse is there is legal action going to happen.

i wld proceed with caution. just what i heard thats all

CobraX
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
To chose between industry reknowned senior TDs or to trust shark behaving investors I think that my choice, is made very fast.

Thank you for sharing someone else's opinion.

drGonzo
04-29-2008, 05:15 AM
I am from singapore and i heard the split with TDA investors was not nice and there is money owed. what's worse is there is legal action going to happen.
This is hardly the forum to discuss matters of this nature, espacially ones that are based on hear-say and hold no truth whatsoever.

If you want to judge our school, it would have more value to listen to our graduates, instead of to the grapevine in Singapore.

RhythmOfLine
05-22-2008, 08:40 PM
So whats the latest word on it?

drGonzo
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM
We are currently conducting 3 live beta-classes for a closed public to test our system and get real-live feedback from students and mentors.

There will be announcements all over the place in a couple of weeks when we go live for real.

eek
05-23-2008, 01:03 AM
There will be announcements all over the place in a couple of weeks when we go live for real.

and..

Our website, which has all the information about the courses, will be online in a couple of weeks. Please bear with is till then.

a few weeks ago, So umm? Info..

drGonzo
05-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Over the last 5 weeks we have been testing our system with our first beta students. So far 9 students have been enrolled and things seem to be going pretty smooth. We have found a new and very experienced mentor (look at his bio bellow) who has the free time at the moment (he is between productions), so we have decided to offer another instance of our "Introduction to Python Programming" course to test our system a little more.

We will be offering the "Introduction to Python" course at the introductionary discount price of US$700 instead of the expected listed price of US$1200. We are hoping that your feedback can help us finish polishing the system. The course is scheduled to start next Sunday (June 1st) at 12:00pm (LA Time). Enrollment will be closed on Friday (May 30th) night at 11:59 PM. To enroll on this course please reply to this email address and we will provide you with the necessary information and links so you can start the admissions procedure. Bellow is more information on the course, please read thoroughly.

The course will be taught by industry veteran Russell Darling, CG Supervisor at Tippet Studios (http://www.tippett.com/) , who has worked on movies such as:

The Spiderwick Chronicles
Cloverfield
Charlotte's Web
Constantine
Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
Hellboy
The Matrix Revolutions
Star Wars: Episode II
Pearl Harbor
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Mighty Joe Young
Mercury Rising
Speed 2: Cruise Control
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
You can view his full profile at IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0201402/)

This 6-week course will provide an in-depth intro to the Python programming language, diving into actual helpful production uses, as well as showcasing some of the language’s integration into major 3D packages such as Autodesk’s Maya and SideFX Houdini. By the end of the course, students will be able to write fully functional Python scripts and be able to decipher and track through complicated examples. A full course outline is available here. (http://td-college.com/docs/TDC_Python_Overview.pdf)

IMPORTANT
Russell is only available for mentoring sessions at the following days and times. Please make sure these times fit your schedule before contacting us. All times are Los Angeles time.

Monday to Thursdays 8pm to 12:00 am Sundays 10 am to 1pm

If you are interested, send us an email at beta@td-college.com (http://us.mc560.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=xxx@td-college.com), but be quick as places are limited!

Sincerely
The TDC Team

fxjeane
08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Hello Everyone.

We are very glad to announce that the front website of our school is finally live. You can access it at www.td-college.com (http://www.td-college.com) We have one class scheduled to start on Sept 7th and a few other in the works for the upcoming weeks.

Sorry for the short message, its very late and I just wanted to inform the news to those who have been following this thread.

Talk to you soon and I hope to see you all at TDC

Sincerely
Rudy

boomji
08-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Good news.All the best Rudy.see you there.

b

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2008, 08:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.