PDA

View Full Version : modelling dvd player - subpatch how

Perambulator
02-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi. I am trying to model an alba dvd 108 player using subpatches.

Attached is mesh. I am struggling with the button on the left. It's meant to be circular, but is more oval. I did this by joining a flat ball to the front and then welding points.

Is it simply a case of not having enough polys, or am I doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance. Rich

Rabid pitbull
02-17-2003, 10:08 PM
maybe tweak the sub patch weight values. i would personally not sub divide that button. instead would just make seperate object. but you should be able to adjust the weights for the look your after.

Fasty
02-18-2003, 02:27 AM
just a question... why are you using subpatches?

shade
02-18-2003, 04:48 AM
Have to agree that I wouldn't do dvd-player with subpatches (either?). Maybe bevelling necessary edges and then maybe using smoothing angle. When using subp. that object might get quite heavy. But if you wanna continue, then I suggests adjusting subpatchweight values.

wgreenlee1
02-18-2003, 05:03 AM
If youre having probs with the design of the dvd player you might look into splines instead of sub~patching.With mechanial things it might be better.Then if you like the design you can always sub~patch later at level one(1) and then render with higher geometry settings in the Item Properties panel.Just my two cents worth.

Perambulator
02-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I was using sub-patches because I've seen other mechanical devices done this way. I'm thinking particularly of the pda thing that was done by the guy that does great cars. I can't remember his name though.

I did think of doing it with multiple objects and booleans, but seemed like a bit of a cheat.

I did also try splines, but couldn't figure out how to join the flat front to the circular button indent.

Gonna keep trying though.

Rich

yog
02-18-2003, 08:48 AM
First off I would worry that you have too many subdivisions, the few sub-D's the smoother the model.

The button definately has too many sub-divisions. try making it from just 4 polygons, making sure the outer points make a rough circle in their rough state before hitting the TAB key.

Best of luck.

Perambulator
02-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Okay, been trying it with splines now. Not really getting a lot further. Some of my splines patch okay. Others nope.

Help!!!!! ;-)

Chaz
02-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Maybe you should give polys a whirl. DVD players have a lot of flat surfaces and precise curves. Subpatches are a little hard to control in that respect.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.