PDA

View Full Version : seascape | a few questions ...

everlite
12-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi,

A few questions relating to the plugin seascape.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the repeated wave effect that can be seen when elevated to a higher level than say the perspective of someone sitting in a boat?

Also is it possible to bake the animation so i can select vertices and get a little particle spray coming of the wakes?

I'm also having trouble getting a SSS effect through the high waves, i guess that will come with playing around settings etc.

Thanks in advance - Dave.

midk
01-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Hi Dave,

For the "repeating waves" effect there are a few things you can do. The very first is to increase the grid size to 9 or 10 (512x512 or 1024x1024) and then play with the spacing (2 will stretch it to double its size). You probably want to go with 10-sized grid and 2x or even 3x spacing depending on the height/distance of the water, and then compensate for the height loss from stretching the grid by increasing the Height Scale. Play around with these three settings to get something you like, and you might want to look into Choppy Waves as well, they'll add a bit of detail.

Not sure about the animation baking you're talking about. I know that Dreamscape's sea surface does support foam so that might be something to look into.. otherwise you might need to get a little tricky with Particle Flow, maybe by having a bunch of particles attached to the sea surface and then test their velocity, if it's high enough then "fling" some particles like a spray. *shrugs*

As for the SSS effect, you need to go into the Environment panel and add Dreamscape Subsurface effect. You should check the included help for details on how to use this effect (Help -> Additional Help; Dreamscape reference). You should be able to get the effect you're looking for. :)

Hope that helps a bit..

everlite
01-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Thank you for your response i'll give that a try.

Regarding the SSS, i understand how to create the effect using other objects as described in the help files, this works great for objects in the water but what i means is self SSS, a little tricky to describe, imagine if you had a single big wave in the water and the sun was behind it, the wave would be more transparent in the less dense areas towards the top and show more light and be darker at the bottom, at the moment, despite setting the scene up with full SSS in the material and environment as required the wave is still a consistant density in areas where it would be lighter (at the peak)? does that make sense?

Cheers again - David.

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2007, 02:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.