PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Question

Nonproductive
02-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Hopefully I can explain this well...

How can I take a square (with multilpe points per side) and push the points out from the center to form it into a circle of points but maintain their planar uniformity ie. change their z and x coordinates but not y?

Similar to wings' "inflate" command.

If the description isn't clear I can try to get a little screen grab together.

Nonproductive
02-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Oops - Just found "Sphereize" - which *almost* works...

Only problem is that it wants to take the points and make them into a perfect circle...so it gets kind of funky if you have, for example, 4 points per side of the square. With 4 points I would expect more of an ocatagon shape.

Hopefully, this is making some sense ;)

Nonproductive
02-17-2003, 09:18 PM
*sigh*

ignore all of this... Sphereize does what I want. It was acting funky because my square was not centered on 0,0...

Now the question becomes - does sphereize work on geometry not on 0,0,0?

If things go the way they have for the last 10 minutes - none of you may get to answer. Spend 20 minutes trying to figure it out and as soon as I post I find the button ;)

Psyhke
02-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Nice conversation you're having with yourself.

:)

Nonproductive
02-17-2003, 09:32 PM
At least no one can hear this one...no pitying stares from passers by :)

Well, sphereize works...but only if the plane is at 0 on Z :(

Any other suggestions?

here's a very tiny pic of what I am trying to do:

http://www.nonproductive.net/ext-linked/Inflate.jpg

Rabid pitbull
02-17-2003, 10:14 PM
what happens if you change the action center, maybe selection or origin? what is it set to now for you?

not sure it will work, but just trying to think of a way for you.:shrug:

ok scratch that just tried it, and now you know i haven't used this command before!!:bounce:

sorry:hmm:

Rabid pitbull
02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
ok this works but is not very fast...

make a disk in the size you want the points to conform to then place it centered over your cube make sure to put it at the level of the points to move. then make sure it is in background layer and use the bg conform finction.

not very intuitive, and ther must be a better way but that is best i can figure out to do.:rolleyes:

Nonproductive
02-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Had to go make another pass at the snow...think we're over 2ft now here in Northern NJ - and it's still coming down.

Pitbull - thanks! BG Conform works. I'm trying to do this for a series of areas along the side and was hoping for an easier solution. Ultimately what I want to do is "circle-ize" the points and then smooth shift them up into some nut heads (as in nuts and bolts)

I also tried doing a solid drill...which works as well...but still not as simple as select points and inflate.

Alternately, I guess I could model the nut head seperately and plop it on the model...

Hrmm...maybe I should open up that Lscript manual at some point...

Rabid pitbull
02-17-2003, 11:16 PM
glad to hear it will work for you. that does sound like a good use for that tool!! makes me think of some models i did the hard way...:thumbsdow

here in chicago we have been dogged all the big storms, and all you east coasters are getting it:D

i sort of miss the big storms.... well only till i have to shovel the walks! oh well spring is on its way soon !

Nonproductive
02-18-2003, 01:08 PM
It occurred to me last night just as I was falling asleep...

SCALE WITH RADIAL FALLOFF!

works like a charm ;)

wgreenlee1
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Wow...
Thanks for the tip!:bounce:

Mike RB
02-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Also you can select all your faces in your circle area, merge them "shift-z" and them smooth them "shift-m" and use iterations 100 as a value.

Mike

Rabid pitbull
02-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Nonproductive
It occurred to me last night just as I was falling asleep...

SCALE WITH RADIAL FALLOFF!

works like a charm ;)

i swear i tried that!:surprised what is your action center set to??

Nonproductive
02-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Mike RB - Awesome! for my purposes with this particular thingamabob, I wanted to keep the "face" polygons - but that is a cool trick!

Rabid - I used Selection for action center and moved the Top slider all the way to the right. Also, I did it in point selection mode - and found that if I needed to select one extra "ring" of points around the area I wanted to "circle-ize" to get the results I wanted. For an "off axis" set of faces I did it that way (using "automatic" setting) - for points on an axis - I used the "fixed" setting and just created an appropriatly sized circle to scale within.

CourtJester
02-18-2003, 05:44 PM
sounds like it's time for me to learn about action center.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.