PDA

View Full Version : WIP- Golf ball on grass

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Here is a render of a project I am working on right now. The grass is done in Fast & Fur and zBlur is used for the background blurring. It is not there yet but I am quite happy with this image right now.

http://homepage.mac.com/primitivx/.Pictures/WIP/golf.jpg

soccerrprp
12-29-2006, 02:34 AM
I like it! Are you going for the artificial grass look? The grass green color seems a little too dull and plastic-like.

I love F&F!

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Yes I agree. Needs more work!

georgedrakakis
12-29-2006, 05:16 PM
The grass green color seems a little too dull and plastic-like.
I love F&F!
oh yes, i would like to see some humidity effects on the grass (shiny water drops)
F&F looks quite powerfull.
did you ever tried to make fluffy carpets with it?
cheers,
george

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Here is an improved version. I think the grass looks much better now. I used Vreeel Skin to add some needed translucency and tweaked the material some.

nycL45
12-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Your image really looks good, however, I have two C&C points:
1/ Tees I have used are about 2 1/2"/63.5mm long. If your tee is something similar, your grass is about 2"/50mm +/- long. At that length, would the grass have as much directional character as in your image? It makes the grass blades seem longer. I would think the blades would be more like the left foreground. Or, is it your intent to use the movement to carry the eye through the image (from lower left corner to upper right)?
2/ The grass color is a bit too uniform?

Seeing this work/image has convinced me to buy F&F!

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
You know, I was thinking that the grass looked too small compared to the ball and tee. I made it larger a bit, and worked the color too. What do you think of this?

About the grass movement, I just think it makes the scene more dynamic. Without it, it looks a bit too dull.

Glad I convinced you to get F&F. It is an excellent plug-in.

nycL45
12-29-2006, 10:04 PM
There is a difference between images 1, 2 & 3? Side-by-side and overlap and I can't see any difference. The Von Liebig Art Center? Is this a "Liebig" put on? If it is, it is an appropriate way to end a year to forget.

Happy New Year & the best in '07!

BTW, there is a bit too much light on the tee's right side.

joeski4d
12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Prim, the grass is looking really good. I think the ball and tee need some more attention. The tee seems too thick if it's a standard tee. The ball seems a bit dark and looks like it's more of a light gray than a nice shiny white plastic ball. It may benefit from a little luminance and reflections. The dimple map used on the ball has some noticable "pinching" at the poles. There are some decent modeled golf balls in C4D format around here and on the net that will eliminate this problem. I have a good one on my other machine... I can post it if you have trouble finding one... let me know.

Happy New Year!

artzfx
12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
My only crits would be that the tee seems too large compared to the ball. Also golf balls are extremely bright white and glossy. I just took a quick reference shot for you to compare.

I have used a wooden tee in the pic which are a little smaller in diameter at the top compared to the plastic tee you have modelled.

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry I replaced the first images. I'll make sure to leave old ones on next posts.

There is a difference between images 1, 2 & 3? Side-by-side and overlap and I can't see any difference. The Von Liebig Art Center? Is this a "Liebig" put on? If it is, it is an appropriate way to end a year to forget.

Happy New Year & the best in '07!

BTW, there is a bit too much light on the tee's right side.

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the reference. I did the did with no real knowledge of what it should really look like. I'll modify it using your reference.

My only crits would be that the tee seems too large compared to the ball. Also golf balls are extremely bright white and glossy. I just took a quick reference shot for you to compare.

I have used a wooden tee in the pic which are a little smaller in diameter at the top compared to the plastic tee you have modelled.

Primitiv
12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks. I will work on the ball and tee. The ball is modeled and not mapped. The pinchhing may be optical illusion.

Hey Prim, the grass is looking really good. I think the ball and tee need some more attention. The tee seems too thick if it's a standard tee. The ball seems a bit dark and looks like it's more of a light gray than a nice shiny white plastic ball. It may benefit from a little luminance and reflections. The dimple map used on the ball has some noticable "pinching" at the poles. There are some decent modeled golf balls in C4D format around here and on the net that will eliminate this problem. I have a good one on my other machine... I can post it if you have trouble finding one... let me know.

Happy New Year!

Katachi
12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Here is something for reference by Jeso (maybe you should try to beat it :) ). I like the arrangement of grass you have there, however IŽd also say more variation in color would help. And a different lighting setup.

http://www.dpit2.de/galerie/misc/golfball.jpg

AdamT
12-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not a golfer, but I would imagine that the grass is cut frequently--meaning that the ends would be more squared off. Looks nice though.

dann_stubbs
12-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm not a golfer, but I would imagine that the grass is cut frequently--meaning that the ends would be more squared off. Looks nice though.

yes grass that even would definately have more variance in the ends - not all grown to small tips, much may be cut squared. also most grass on golf courses is a smaller blade so there is not as much taper as shown (unless cut very square)

a ball on the tee would be quite short grass in that area as well

would make for a good community challenge - a golf ball on a tee image

dann

dann_stubbs
12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
yes grass that even would definately have more variance in the ends - not all grown to small tips, much may be cut squared. also most grass on golf courses is a smaller blade so there is not as much taper as shown (unless cut very square)

a ball on the tee would be quite short grass in that area as well

would make for a good community challenge - a golf ball on a tee image

dann

a quick reference search

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=golf+ball+tee&btnG=Search+Images

dann

wesware
12-30-2006, 03:59 PM
This one seems like a pretty decent example. The highlight from the sun, the sky reflections and the green reflection on the bottom. Probably enhanced in PS but looks pretty good. You might try even "burning" the tips of the grass just a smidge, but probably not as much as in the photo.

http://www.sdycs.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10667.jpg

Hi everyone!

dann_stubbs
12-30-2006, 05:46 PM
This one seems like a pretty decent example. The highlight from the sun, the sky reflections and the green reflection on the bottom. Probably enhanced in PS but looks pretty good. You might try even "burning" the tips of the grass just a smidge, but probably not as much as in the photo.

http://www.sdycs.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10667.jpg

here's one that looks most like his attempt (to me)

http://thumb.shutterstock.com/photos4/display_pic_with_logo/58555/58555,1145373183,9.jpg

funny after looking through many of these images - some of these don't seem to be the right types of grass - like the photographer just stuck a tee in some green grass and shot it - but golf courses have different types of grass in different areas for a reason and normally it is quite fine blade to not cause issues with the ball on the greens (such as one photo looking like it is in st. augustine grass) but only the rough areas would have such coarse types.

dann

MJV
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
The difficult aspect of an image like this is it's too easy to miss or not have time for the unbelievable degree of detail to be found in the macro world. When you start to get really close to something really small, new details unfold and down the rabbit hole you go.

Primitiv
01-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Here is a new take on the golf ball. I used a more dramatic camera position, a lot like the reference 3D shot posted by Samir. I might give a try to DPit on the grass as well. Looks fantastic. I need some trees in the Bground too actually.

Grass is still far from perfect, but it is quite improved and has a nice movement to it.

http://homepage.mac.com/primitivx/.Pictures/WIP/golf-ball.jpg

Primitiv
01-02-2007, 01:29 AM
AdamT, I tried the squared tip grass, but somehow it looks wrong...

JoelOtron
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Hey--thats much better--very nice composition--feels much more like a complete "ad" image then the initial try did.

I like the grass--almost looks like oil paint strokes. Not neccasarily photoreal or accurate--but works aesthetically for me. Nice

FR33K
01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
i would add more diff. colors to the grass, add gloos cuz of sunlight and a bit dirt on it :)

georgedrakakis
01-02-2007, 08:30 AM
AdamT, I tried the squared tip grass, but somehow it looks wrong...

hi Primitiv,
you don't have to model the grass, you can do it inserting a gradient with turbulence in the alpha channel.

ps: ignore the rest of the settings, i can't access real grass atm :)

laurent
01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
hello Primitiv,
I like your grass, I think the lighting of the ball needs your attention, you have two "artificial" hot spots that aren't appropriate for your outdoor setup, look how the ball is treated in samir's example and you'll get there.

nycL45
01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice mini-tutorial, George. Thanks.

Primitiv
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. George I wish I had seen your grass texture earlier. It looks very interesting. I had to present a final to my client today so my time is up. Here is the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/primitivx/.Pictures/3D/golf_ball.jpg

I am reasonably happy with it. The grass could be more realistic but the illustration is for an invitation card for a museum on an event called Golf in American Art. So I guess it looks a bit more artsy than with a realistic grass. The client loves it so that what should count. I may use your texture on further rendering for my own pleasure though.

About the hot spots I do not see them. I have some rim lighting on the right side of the ball, to simulate the sky diffuse lighting effect. It also help define the ball and separate it from the background. Yes, it is a studio set-up and an artistic choice but I think it works. Think of it has using reflectors in photography.

nycL45
01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Congrats on a happy client. For you, a deep exhale, a smile and a "whew!". Your composition turned out very well, especially adding the areas of bright sunlight. Overall, a nice outdoor feel.

Primitiv
01-05-2007, 05:46 AM
George, I have been trying to download your grass texture for a while but CGsociety doesn't let me. Says it is busy and it has been like that all day. Can you make it available to me elsewhere or send it to me at yves@nycap.rr.com?

Thanks.

Primitiv
01-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks Leonard. Yes, a happy client is the best outcome. I am quite happy with the results too, all things considered.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2007, 05:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.