PDA

View Full Version : transparency bug in xsi 2.0.1?

Kamui
03-25-2002, 02:46 AM
hi, i've been having a problem using transparency maps in xsi 2.0.1. seems that if i render out an image with 2 or more transparency maps overlapping each other in the camera's view, the one(s) in the back don't render out and turn out as black blocks. i've only tried this with planes, but in several cases, it has shown up.

does anyone know a workaround or solution to this? thanks for listening.

EdHarriss
03-25-2002, 04:27 AM
You have your Ray depth set to low. Because of this, when your rays reach the set depth they stop, as a result the objects that your ray has not reached yet are rendered black. To fix this, go into your render region options and turn all of the ray depth sliders up till the problem goes away.

Hope this helps.

krisr
03-25-2002, 08:41 AM
strangely enough, I've learned that "ray-depth" does not itself fix these black artifacts. Ray depth is the maximum number the ray will pass through object surfaces before the ray stops. You would think that this would correct the problem but the refraction slider is what really effects this. I had a scene I was just working on where I had many cards with alpha-mapped transparencies in a row. I too was getting many black artifacts. I tried boosting up the ray-depth but it did not fix the problem. I ended up fixing the problem by increasing my refraction depth to 10 or 12 (maximum ray depth therefore must also match this number). I'm still not sure why "refraction" plays a role when dealing with this problem.....very strange. A great way to fix this problem is to use the sprite shader available for download on the XSInet written by Dave Lejoe (might be bad spelling) at SoftImage. Works great and you do not need high ray depth or reflection/refraction settings. Hope this helps.

Kamui
03-25-2002, 10:02 AM
yes, that was the problem... Ed was right, my raytracing depth settings were too low,.. setting it to 4, 4, 8, fixed all the black artifacting that i had. thanks for the response guys :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.