PDA

View Full Version : Proximity Shader Brain Breaker

animalunae
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I have been thinking about SSS strength and how it is affected by the underlaying matter, like the skull underneath the skin, or the lack thereof in the ears...

I have modeled a skull and put it inside the head I modeled. I want to export a map of that head, with dark values where the skull is near and bright values where the skull is far away. So the ears, the cheeks and the eyes will be bright, while the jaw, skull and such will be black. This is some sort of occlusion I'm sure, but with the MR nodes I've used so far, I can't seem to get the result I need...

Does anyone know how to write or create a proximity shader or network, which would allow for me to export a map like this?

Thanks in advance!

techmage
12-28-2006, 12:44 AM
I think if you where to point the normals of the skin inwards, then bake ambient occlusion onto it with the proper falloff, it would work just fine.

pascal
12-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello,

Here is a sample scene doing, literally, what you are asking for.

For each point on mesh A, it takes the closest point on mesh B and measure the distance between them.
The result is passed to a "setRange" and then into a ramp (optional).
It's maya software, but should work with MR.
If you bake the texture you get the map you are looking for...

It's a bit slow though :)
Pascal.

CGTalk Moderation
12-29-2006, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.