PDA

View Full Version : How does one get water to reflect light onto other objects?

SuperSlave
12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
How does one get water to reflect light onto other objects? I wannaa get that pool shimmer to cast on the walls around it. Can Anybody out there clue me in on how that's done?
Much obliged!

bls
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
You have to check caustics from mental ray render globals attributes and play with it.Of course you have to check also global illumination.

Ironhalo
12-27-2006, 06:13 PM
dont forget about the photonic materials as well. each material thats giong to be involved in caustics will need one.

SuperSlave
12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. The result that I got was that I can see the objects image in the water and th glass, but I still can't see the water reflecting water onto the objects above the water.

techmage
12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Setting up caustics to do what you want is quite the chore, I would just recommend, read the documentation on caustics thoroughly, then try to figure it out in a simplified scene. Just like, 1 plane for water, 1 plane for the wall to catch the caustics. Figure out the proper settings in that scene, then transfer them to your real scene. Caustics will do what your trying to do, but it's gonna take a bit of working at it to figure out how to do it.

jeremybirn
12-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys. The result that I got was that I can see the objects image in the water and th glass, but I still can't see the water reflecting water onto the objects above the water.

It's really only 2 steps to get the caustics working: Turn on Caustics in Render Settings, Set your light to emit caustic photons.

If you don't see the results, it's probably because you need higher photon intensity. Leave the number of photons emitted low for quick tests, and just keep adding 0's to the end of the photon intensity until something shows up. You don't need special materials to use caustics.

-jeremy

SuperSlave
12-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I've looked in the render globals window. I cannot find this tab leading to caustics.
Am I lookin' in the right place? Where exactly do I go to activate caustics, and how do I get there ya'll?

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.