PDA

View Full Version : saving my dongle

Ryan Clarke
02-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Hey folks,

I know a couple of studios that have been subject to robberies and have lost thousands of dollars worth of both hardware and software. I would like to save myself from as much loss as possible, and so I want to have my dongle stored in my safe deposit box, away from my workspace.

I know a few people who are using cracked versions of their software, even though they have licenses, for the same reason. I am hoping that someone knows of a crack for Combustion 2 (with the service pack). I realize that it sounds like I am just some schmuck who wants to grab a free copy of software, but I am willing to subject myself to any kind of verification you wish (e.g. what word is on which page of the manuals, what came in the commercial Combustion box). If you could help me out with this, I (and my dongle) would be very appreciative.

I don't wish to help a bunch of warez freaks to have access to the crack, so you can contact me outside of the groups. Just post a reply and we can arrange an e-mail contact.

Thanks a lot.

beaker
02-17-2003, 06:05 PM
maybe you should bolt the machines to the desks.

Seriously though, if you guys are living in that bad of an area, maybe you should invest in better security.

One company I visited had all their computers locked up in a room and ran really long cables for the monitors, keyboard and mice to the artists desks. If your worried about artists stealing the dongle, then either invest in floating licenses(if the software permits it) or make a parallel cable that runs through one of the expansion port slots and hook the dongle up inside the machine and then lock up the machine case.

Chris
02-17-2003, 08:16 PM
:wavey: Hey Ryan, read up the docs that come with the 2.1 upgrade, it changes combustion to a software lock, so you dont need your dongle anymore...

Ryan Clarke
02-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the software lock. I will take a look at it right now.

Cheers.

Maven
02-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Is it just me? or is this Thread Subject funny?

alexx
02-26-2003, 08:09 PM
you could install an additional printer port card in your computer.
then you dont bring the cables to the outside but keep them inside the cmputer and plug the dongle there..
like that not only your dongle will be stolen but yur computer as well :)
but it is way more obvious that someone is stealing the computer under his jacket than only the dongle..

but i think the best way to prevent that is getting a license on the network card rather than on the dongle which is the usual way these days..

but i know the problem too well.

from 4 maya dongled versions i only know where one is.. and that is mine in my locked bureau..

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.