PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Forest - Environment - PSP limits?

bugo
12-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, long time no see.

I'm doing this environment for a personal project. This has no more than 4k triangles, on all objects and terrain, and have less then 512px texture (counting with alpha). Im wondering, i saw some PSP games and alot of them showing some good environment and with alot of textures with one loading process. What is the limit polycount for the PSP? Am I right doing this with 4k triangles? Maybe I will add a character with max 1k triangles, summing all we will have kinda 9k triangles (thinking on 2 characters and 2 enemies). Please help me on this...

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7531/forestpic02py7.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8339/forestpic01yn9.jpg

Texture Sheet
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6105/alltexturestt2.jpg

Comments also welcome.

Hugo

Jerkazoid
12-27-2006, 05:03 AM
the specs sound fine, however i can give you some realism crits.

the textures need some "wow"
all your textures are treated like rendering shaders, and not illustrated decals.
untill we he have sophisticated shaders, normal, spec, diffiuse, bump, and great lighitng you will need to do better with the prop coloring

1) harsh lines
all your objects clip harshly with the land. the best way to fix this is to include material that breaks the lines between props. In your case ill use pilars with the grass.

render some grass along the bottom so that its more seemless. rather then relying on sohpisticated lighting engines/rendering try including some light logic in your decals

you can make the top 80% seemless with itself, this way the bottom ~28 pixals are rock with grass and the top 100 are seemless.
here i used the rock texture from your pilars and just quickly edited in photoshop with a few layers. you can get much more sophisticated with more time,, i only did this with a mouse in 10 mins to show you.
http://jerkazoid.notdice.com/example/cgexample_still3.jpg
the illusion is now more convincing so long as the average color of the two grass colors is very close.
you may need a shadow plane on the ground to help in the shadow area (or a bake) but only 1 shadow texture will usualy be needed bc u can just reuse it.

try this same trick with the palm trunks and rocks

2) texture subtleties
ill pick on the the rock->grass texture you have.
as a single suggestion the grass/moss needs to have some CRISP shadows and sublties as it touchs the cliffs, this way the grass pulls away from the rock and looks fluffy.
you need to be very carefull of edge quality to give the texture a convincing feel, this often means single pixal brush work.

3) crisp edges, (emphasized contrast).
photoshop has a neat filter called "unsharpen mask" try playing with this on some of your textures to add "pop".
also strong use of simultaneous contrast in your favor can give your texture convincing "wet" look, shine or even light flare.

XTitan
12-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Wow that's very thurough :) that seems to cover it Jerkazoid.

bugo
12-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Wow, thx for your feedback!

I'm confused by doing more textures, maybe I can add this to the budget but I cant create more textures just for the pillar, what about creating it by vertex coloring?

Yah, the filter unsharp I know, and yes, I will use it, like you said, it will add more sharp and lighting to the textures. I liked the idea of pop the grass in the rocks with a shadow.

Will you consider better recreating the texture by painting them?

bricevdm
12-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Actually textures shouldn't be bigger than 128x128px in 4bits (16 colours) or 128x64px in 8bits (256 colours). On the other side you shouldn't worry that much about lowering your polycount. PSP from an artist PoV is very similar to a PS2: same cache texture, same kind of performances, texture filtering, low Vram etc. This means you usually put more detail using geometry (shape but also vertex color sometimes) than texture, compare to regular PC assets. :)

JustChris
12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
You can usually cubemap your geometry too. Just look at the cars and other reflective objects in various PSP games.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.