PDA

View Full Version : Perfect lines

RadioactiveDude
12-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Hello,

I'm guessing this question has been asked before, but...I'm new.

Anyway, I was wondering, how can I draw perfect lines in photoshop. When I draw with a pencil, the lines look...block-like. I undertand that when I look at it with 300% close up they will look like that, but even when I zoom out to 50%, the lines still look like crap.

Is there another way to draw nice lines?

Thanks for your time.

dbates
12-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Is antialiasing turned on?

Also, try using a fuzzier brush (less hardness).

Datameister
12-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Don't use the Pencil tool. It's incapable of producing good results. Always use the Brush tool (hotkey B), even when you're trying to emulate the appearance of real-world pencil.

Ian Jones
12-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Don't use the Pencil tool. It's incapable of producing good results. Always use the Brush tool (hotkey B), even when you're trying to emulate the appearance of real-world pencil.

You should note that this statement is only partly true. For your purposes yes, the pencil tool is inadequate... use the brush tool instead. However there is nothing wrong with the pencil tool, it does exactly what it's designed to do, so yes it is capable of good results. The misunderstanding is in what you use it for, not the tool itself being a problem.

Datameister
12-28-2006, 04:42 AM
You're right, Ian. I should have said that the Pencil tool is worthless for painting. If you're into pixel art or the like, the Pencil tool is incredibly useful. I just meant that for RadioactiveDude's purpose, the Pencil tool was the wrong choice.

RadioactiveDude
12-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2006, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.