PDA

View Full Version : Essential Plugins?...

DaddyMack
12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi Guys, I'm a long time 3d user who ported to max recently... I'm currently using it for all things character pipeline as well as some vfx and environments and I'm wondering what, if any plugins are essential to own along with Max...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated:wise:

Cheers
Rob

scrimski
12-26-2006, 06:35 PM
ColorCorrect and Texporter. Never ever leave the house without 'em.

dnashj33
01-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys, I'm a long time 3d user who ported to max recently... I'm currently using it for all things character pipeline as well as some vfx and environments and I'm wondering what, if any plugins are essential to own along with Max...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated:wise:

Cheers
RobPolyBoost is a MUST have if you want to streamline and accelerate your modeling work...plus it has some nice live viewport Painting tools and UV tweaks.
www.polyboost.com
I've been using Deep Paint 3D for most texturing, but am about to switch to Zbrush.

Afterburn has been Max's workhorse for volumetric clouds, fire, missile trails, etc. A comparable product would be PyroCluster by Cebas...which also makes arguably the fastest and most feature-rich renderer for Max (VRay's close)...finalRender Stage 1.

3ds Max has everything else built in... Character Studio, Shave N Haircut, ClothFX, Reactor, etc.

mackdadd
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Texporter and Glu3d.

DaddyMack
01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Humble thanks guys, these are just the pointers I was looking for

PsychoSilence
01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
for char stuff we use the PEN scripts (http://paulneale.com/scripts.htm), some COMMET CARTOONS scripts (http://www.comet-cartoons.com/maxscript.php) and the AEARON scripts (http://www.aearon.de/)...

for the rest it really depends on what you do particularly...

kind regards

anselm

yuriythebest
01-21-2007, 04:21 PM
yay! an opportunity to flaunt my set up

max 9 32 bit (does 64 bit improve hypertherading performance?)

vray 1.5 - great renderer, simpler and faster then mental ray

afterburn, fumeFx, dreamscape- together they can create all sorts of flames, skies, terrain, smoke, volumetric clouds, dreamscape even provides a gi solution

character animation toolkit (CAT)- an awsome bones system, better in my opinion than biped. Haven't really mastered biped cause the whole biped way of doing things was (is?) kinda shaky, while from the very beginning I fell in love with CAT and its useablity

mudbox, zbrush, realflow- not really plugins but give you a lot of power with 3ds max

greeble- free and awsome for creating tech detail (cities, panels, etc)

skinFx- allows for the simulation of actual muscle systems in characters

f-edge- removes sharp flawless edges from objects giving them a more real look

polyboost- additional polygon editing tools

plus some other stuff I don't recall at this time. I believe 3ds max with these, along with some inspiration, time and talent is all you need to create miracles.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 04:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.