PDA

View Full Version : Shortfilm Wip: "Newton The Desert Rat"

aghill
12-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Hello and welcome.

This is going to be a thread dedicated to the work of my comming shortfilm, a spin-off of the classic story of Newtons discovery of gravity, when he gets hit by a apple.

So far my criterias will be:
40-60 seconds of animation.
Im going to use one charater only.
The charater is going to have fur (it will be the first experience I have with fur)
One single set (eventually a dreamscape. I havent figured thisone out yet).

So far the storyline is somewhat done. I have most of it written down, and Ill go ahead with storyboarding soon.

I've worked on the character, and done some learning tests with fur. Im using Maya and Shave for this project.

Check out the Desert rat here: LINK (http://www.thomashaas.dk/rat_360.mov)

http://www.thomashaas.dk/fur_12.jpg

I have an older thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=441859) in the wip still, but I thought this will be the best place to put it all=)

Feel free to critizise and whatnot:)

Happy christmas and cya.

Newest Update:

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/ClickPick_03.jpg (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/surprise_Shadow.mov)

Russel-Nash
12-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi,
your desert rat looks nice. Looking forward to see it animated.
Just some minor things. I personally think the feet are to small and maybe the ears should have no fur, or at least much less.

Good luck with your project,

Torsten

franktai1
12-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Very nice fur job! Well done! He seems like have a funny personality. I can't wait to see your final animation. Keep up good works!

Frank:thumbsup:

aghill
12-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi there. Thanks for the comments.

Russel-Nash: Maybe your right about the fur on the ears. I dont think ill cut it totally. I did some tests with that, and I dont think I want them totally bald. Maybe I should try cut it a little.

Ill have to play around with bigger feet, but I dont thinnk I want them bigger. Maybe when they get some texture and a more pink'ish color, they will work better.

Heres an early idea on the set design.
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Set_Singletree.jpg

Primarily playing around with colors as for now.

Cya.

aghill
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi there. Ive been playing around with the fur. Think im going with more contrast in the color.

Heres a test:
http://www.thomashaas.dk/fur_13_Front.jpg
http://www.thomashaas.dk/fur_13_back.jpg

Still trying to play around with the fur color, allthough its kinda tricky.

Furthermore im slowly moving forward with the storyboard. Ill post that soon=)

aghill
01-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello People.

Ive been working on the storyboard. Its the first draft of the first part of the shortfilm. Theres no sound in it so far, but im going to add that eventually.

Check it out here ( aprox. 6 mb .mov) (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Storyboard_1.mov)

I think ill gonna add some grumbling sounds or a whistle the seconds before he enters the stage, and let him kick some small stones into the scene, before he enters.

The fur is still causeing me some problems. First off I have problems gettin the head correct, and still not having to use more than 10 min per frame. second, im still playing around with the general color on him. I think I may go with a more redish-fox kinda thing, allthough that will have to be tested first=)

I would like to hear what you think. Knock yourself loose=)

cya

MartinNielsen
01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Nice work, champ :thumbsup:

Looking forward to some updates, it's so rare to see animation work completed.

doffer
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi aghill.
It looks promising.

Your rat looks kinda angry and "evil".
I suppose your aware of that ;)
Not like the usual "toon" characters we see.

I like the fur as it is. The color is pretty nice and has a great color-differentiation.
-Like the rat from Ugly duckling should have looked ;) Haha

About the storyboard, I think it's good.
Looking foreward to see more :) - I suppose it's not all?:D

jussing
01-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Wauw, that rat model is absolutely kickass! If you animate as good as you model & shade, it's going to be really great.

- Jonas

mustan9
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
This looks very cool. Not to over use the "w" word, but wow! Nice rat.

Looking forward to seeing what's next.

dude5487
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Awesome. I love the color. I liked how he looked with more brendal but at the same time the other color of the fur works well too.

Cant wait to see more! Keep it up! :)

aghill
01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi People. Nice to see the respond. It's cool you like it, since Ive really been wondering if it was good enough. Well I wasnt happy with it just yet, so ive been working some more on the fur, and a little on the underlaying skin colors.

Heres a second turn-around of the little rat. (aprox 1 meg 48 frames .mov) (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Rat360_2.mov)

What do you think of it?

Its very tricky to get the color map, tip color and root color to mach in a good way. Ive changed the uv setup from being two uv maps to just one. This way I dont have to paint the skin acordingly to the fur colors, which were kinda sucky.

The rendertime is at 6 min per frame, so i'ts okay. Thats another thing with fur. Its easy to make it look better, but it will impact the rendertime greatly. Im trying to find a good medium solution, since I really don't fancy using 20 minuts per frame.

Anyways. Have fun ppl and Cya!

dude5487
01-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I love it.

I like this so much because there are a bunch of ground squerells(spelling) right outside of my house and this reminds me of them.

I like the color a lot on this one. Its like each time you change the fur it brings out something diff in personality, to me anyway.

How is the rigging coming? Or are you there yet?

EpsilonStudios
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Your modeling is very solid, your hair/fur looks great in the second turntable. so far you have done a great job. I can only see one “real” problem through the turn tables, I noticed that his eye weren’t very readable. His eyes are hiding under his eye brow’s, for an audience the eyes are very important that’s where most of the emotion is coming from. I wish you luck on your short film.

studiomaxer3d
01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
I like the model a lot. His head is very interesting.

JimmiMathiasen
01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Looking good..

Well i can see it from were i sit :) but i know u want my word on it here.. it makes u so happy...

But still.. looks good..

hmm... Hotdog Time!!! im hungry :D

doffer
01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
The new fur is even better than the old one.

As dude5487 said, the new change in fur, really chaned the way you think of him, and at least I started to get some new images in my head about him... So I guess that's pretty good :thumbsup:

Looking foreward to see more from you...

aghill
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey people. Thanks for the comments.

EpsilonStudios: I think your right on that. Hmm. I don't think I want to make changes in the model now, making his eyes bigger. Maybe I could take some of the hairs away from the eye-area. Actually I think theres still fur on his eyelids. Furthermore, if I lighten the texture around the eyes, they would read better maybe. Thanks for the notification=)

Maybe I can have the rig done this week. I kinda hope so. I'm really looking forward to making some simple animationtests with the fur concerning issues like overlapping, tight areas etc.

Back to work. Cya.

aghill
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Hello

Long time since last time I posted on this.. Ive been working with other projects, so its been hard to find time.

Even though the character is allmost rigged. Furthermore, i've been working on the set, the idea, escpecially for the background, since I want to make interresting universe.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/concept_02.jpg

It's 3D which I painted over in PS. I kinda fancy this crooked style on the tree and the mountains. I've changed the idea of the set being a desolate desert-scape to a place with a bit more vegetation.

What do you think about it?

MartinNielsen
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey aghill :)

Nice to see some developement from you again. I think the set looks really great. You really have good flare for this cartoon stuff. Just one thing: The sky gradient from bottom dark to bright looks kind of wrong to me. I always picture sky colors the other way around, and not so dark in the other end.

aghill
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Hello dear cgtalkers.

Ive been playing around with some new ideas on the set today.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Set_05.jpg

I think its beginning to look like something I want. The sphere shaped leafs is really giving a good sence of shape. Furthermore ive gone away from the originally idea of having a dry desert-like eviroment, and instead its going to be lush and green setting.

The Rat is as close to being finished as it can be. The Blendshapes are pretty much done, and the rig is about to be wrapped up and shipped to the endless fields animation ( erhm...)

Well C'ya and take care.

dude5487
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I like that environment as well. Wht are you using to rig the rat? Maya? Max? XSI?

aghill
03-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Hello people.

Ive got another little update today (or should I say Tonight?).

The Rig is done, and now its time for fur-testing! check the following link out:

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Walk_01.mov

Theres obviours still some issues but now I know where I am concerning the fur. Be aware that this is without the real skin-textures.

If you got something to say concerning the animation, throw the crits at me=)

dude5487: Im using Maya for rigging, and Modo for modelling.

Hopefully Ill have some better looking fur soon.

Any comments and critiques are welcome btw...

Have fun and take care.

dude5487
03-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Good stuff. Its awesome to see it alive and kicking!

If you could post a side and front view of the walk that would allow us to make a better critique. For now though the legs seem to be woddling, like something is holding him back. The arms need to straighten out more when they swing backwards. Also more movement in the fingers. Keep it up though its a good test like you said for the fur, which looks good to me, though I dont know what fur should look like.

aghill
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Hello!

Heres an update:
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Walk_04.mov

Ive sorted out some of the jitter in the fur. The hairs around the mouth is now much better. The fur is static now- I don't really need it being dynamic. Ive addede some texture of hairs to the underlaying skin too, and added color maps to fingers etc. Furthermore ive changed the fur color a bit.

Theres still a shadow which is messing up in the ear. I think I know the reason to this. Maybe I can test it out later today. Allso I think the nose needs to change color. Dont like how it is right now.

A singe frame of character takes around 6 min to render. I don't think I can push it further down, so I guess ill have to accept it at that.

dude5487: thx=) Ill see if I can make some playblasts of of side and front.

Hopefully Ill soon have some more animations (this is the animation wip after all:)

Cya and take care.

mustan9
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
If you got something to say concerning the animation, throw the crits at me=)

He doesn't look natural walking like that given how far apart his legs are. I would advise a hop and skip to his walk, and even a bit of a run. I think he is a rat and rats scamper, scatter, dart, and run.

If you are going to stick with a basic walk style. Then loosen up his upper back. Have him bend over slightly and allow his nose to drive his direction more. Bend his arms up a little bit, and don't cycle the arm swings perfectly with his steps. I think he would have more character if he swung his arms for every 2 steps.

Does any of this make sense?

aghill
04-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi there.

Ive got another update on the set. Check it out and let me hear what you think.
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Wip/Set/Set_011.jpg

Still a good way to go...

I think its time to summarize the story.

The idea is, that my rat enters the shot. He is very lazy and unintelligent. He is ugly and dirty. When he enters the shot, his first instinct is to sit down and relax. Doing nothing. Then out of nothing an apple hit him, and he is is suddenly blessed with a briliant idea. He runs behind the tree only to get back a second later with his new invention: Fire! Yet when all his happyness of the newfound invention is at it higest, he is hit with another idea. He jumps behind the tree again, and produce: The lightbulb! Now here the story dosnt end. Yet another idea spins in his head. He get behind the tree again and this time he comes back with a Notebook PC.
(this is what I think to be some of the best icons of the three steps of the technological evolution.)
Now when he is hit by the fouth and yet undiscovered idea (which is to portray the next step of evolution) he is hit by a second apple, and is knocked back to basic instinct. He takes a bite of the apple and scratches his belly, and finally walks away from the scene totally unaware of what just happend.

mustan9: Hi there. thanks for the crits. It definatly gave sence=)
About the "character" of the rat, I'm going to try making him as lazy and primal as possible, seen from a human standpoint. I will have to play around with the jumb-step idea, but I think it will make him too eager. This is ofcause just a default walk cycle, so your crit is usefull.

Cya around and take care.

aghill
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi ppl.

I just finsihed the first version of the blocking animation. Thought I wanted to share it with you, allthough its only a combined "scene preview" of the actual movie, I hope the history and idea tells somewhat.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/ClickPic_01.jpg (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Wip/TheMovie/Ratblocking_01.mov)

So far I think the last scene is a bit too long. Maybe I could put one more angle of view in that. Theres some clipping issues and various things I want to improve too. Anyways - Let me hear what you think:)

Cya around!

mustan9
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
This is more of a pre-vis video then a blocking of character animation. When you block a characters performance you just want to capture the key poses, and not worry about timing. Usually I block at about 1 or 2 fps. Things like walking are skipped in the blocking staging. Later I fill out the blocking with more keyed frames.

Anyway, that's a whole topic on it's own.

I would have like to see your key poses of the character. You need to block out the emotion, key poses, and actions.

I couldn't see any real "aniticaption" of the character. You could give the apple more character then just a linear fall. Maybe have it dance in the wind? play with the vine? give it a little character. This is the "antagonist" in your story. It needs to be a bigger problem for the main character.

I think the staging could use more work. Pick more creative camera angles and moves.

Don't be so far out all the time. Pull the characters more into frame. Treat them like movie stars, they want their close ups.

dude5487
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Thats looking pretty good, still a long way to go but thats given. Would you happen to have the storyboards you used as well? If so could you post them?

aghill
04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
mustan9: Thanks for the crits. I think you right on the pre-vis thing. Since I didnt complete the storyboard, I treat this "blocking" of the story as my storyboard.

My problem at the moment is the size of the props vs. the size of the apple. Right now its pretty unrealistic. I dont know if thats a problem? I think if I scale the apple it would be much more evil and as you say a bigger problem. If the impact was much more devestating, it would show in a better way.

You right on the point of showing more closeups. I'll try it out:)

dude5487: I think this is the storyboard=)

Right now its a bit boring I think. Maybe with some interresting camera angles it could make it more interresting.

dude5487
04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I agree it is a bit boring as well, not to be harsh or anything. I think what might help is to really not open Maya but have a few of the renders of the character open and think back to why you started this, what was the story you wanted to tell. When I look at him I think of him as an onry little guy haha.

Like when I watched the movie you put up, I thought well why is he coming to this tree? He didnt sonder over like he was tired. I was a little confused.

Keep it up though!

aghill
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi dude5487.

A onery little guy is a veru good charecteristic of the rat=) As of now this is only a preview of camera angles and the story unfolding.

dude5487
04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Sounds good man. I just really cant wait to see him in action. I want to see him do something "evil" and make a face and run off laughing hahaaha. Good stuff.

mustan9
04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
If this is your first short story, then you really should cut it down. No more then 30 to 60 seconds in length. It takes me about 2 to 3 weeks per 10 seconds of footage. If you try to make it longer then you're just reducing the quality in place of quanity.

When I studied film in school we had to constantly learn basic story structure.

- you need an eye catching, viewer grabbing, interesting opening shot.
- Introduce the plot of the main character clearly. Give him a problem.
- You need a shocking turning point in the middle of your story.
- The main character has to learn something as a result of his problems.
- Conclude the story.

Close down your 3D software. Pick up a pen and paper. Work it out by hand. Get your story 100% before you go any further. Otherwise, this project might fail.

aghill
04-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi mustan. Thanks for the crit.

I think your right on the length. its going to be 40-60 sec.

Those rules are good. And I really think I got them pretty good.

Ive got an establishing shot. Introducing the scene. Maybe its too slow.

The problem is the apple. Im showing that right after the introduction of the character. I think the red color makes it out as a contrast and shows it as a primary antagonist. Doesnt this show clear enough?

The turning point is in the characters personality. I think im going to change the pace of the apple when it hits.

Instead of making the the rat learn somthing, im kinda changing it here. He is knocked back to basic by the second apple. This is the point of the story. He is not learning anything.

Maybe im totally wrong here...

mustan9
04-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Instead of making the the rat learn somthing, im kinda changing it here. He is knocked back to basic by the second apple. This is the point of the story. He is not learning anything.

Then what you have is not a story with a plot, but a joke with a bunch line. The structure of a joke, and the structure of a story are different.

If your going with a joke (or comical skit). It's harder to do skits then straight story telling. I didn't study comedy in school so I don't know what to advise, but what you've got so far isn't that funny. :)

It could be slap stick? Usually slap stick puts the character into a dangerous situation, an event happens that should harm the character, the viewer is shocked but the character turns out fine, and the viewer laughs to release the stress of what they witnessed.

There are so many types of humors in comedy. That would be another topic.

Anyway buddy, I don't mean to be taking over your thread. Your still in the design stage I'm sure what you come up with will be fine.

aghill
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi there.

I like your comments mustan9! dont stop!=)

Anyways - about the comedy setup, I guess the payoff lies in the animation. In the end this is a simple story. What im after right now is the camera angles and pace. Maybe Ive got a new version of the blocking / previs later today.

Have fun and take care.

lizardj
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Love your rat character! One thing I'd like to commend on is, IMO it'd really serve to your interest storyboarding by hand first, because usually sketching out a keypose takes alot less time than apositioning it in 3D. But of course, that's just my take on things...

dude5487
04-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Storyboards :)

aghill
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi ppl.

Now I understand you like storyboarding, yet thats not the way im going.:sad:

Ive reworked the camerablocking. Check it out.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/ClickPic_02.jpg (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Wip/TheMovie/Ratblocking_03.mov)

Still some stuff to change, but I think theres a better pace in the clipping right now. Ive made the shots, before he gets hit first time, accelerate and zoom. I think its working better now.

I think ill try to put some sounds on soon. It really would help to get the idea.

Cya and take care.

dude5487
04-05-2007, 11:12 PM
It is looking better and I am getting a lot more feeling out of it but I am lost at the end. I am not sure if he is just frustrated with the whole tree and apple falling on him scene or what is the purpose of him grabbing the objects.

Maybe you could give a written breakdown in the next post as to what you are going for so we can better follow along.

aghill
04-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Hello people.

Today I've been playing around with the character, animating with the rig a little. Thought I wanted to share it.

Here's a playblast of the animation. (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/AnimationTests/Surprise_02.mov)

Obviously its got nothing to do with the story.

dude5487: Im still not sure how to make the last 20 sec of the story clipping. I think ill end up with something like it is now...

As for the character he is going "back to basic" when he is hit the second time, and will leave the scene in his old slow mood.

dude5487
04-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Its alive! :) Good stuff!

aghill
04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi people.

A long day today. Been working on the set - its a pain! Hopefully I can have some render tomorrow.

Anyways. I rendered the small animationtest I did some days ago, to test my render-"pipeline". It seems like its working okay. Im rendering the character pass in maya software render, and the set and shadowpass in mental ray.

well - its right here. Check it out:

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/ClickPick_03.jpg (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/surprise_Shadow.mov)

Maybe the animation isnt totally clean and smooth. The primary thing with this test was testing, so I guess the animation wasnt primary=)

Im off again.

Have fun!

dude5487
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Good test. Though if u were to take it further I would change his reaction to the ball, either run away or go interact with it in some way. U know what I mean?

aghill
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi dude5487. Yeah, making him run away would be nice. I dont think ill play around with that scene anymore though.

I've got an update on the set:

The sky (opening shot):
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Wip/Set/set_39.jpg

Closeup on the tree:
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Wip/Set/set_38.jpg

Theres three passes here. color, occlusion and falloff. No depth yet...

Would love to hear some comments on this..

Have fun and take care.

dude5487
04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I like it. It really makes me feel good when I look at it, if that helps.

mcolombian
04-17-2007, 01:50 AM
hi,
i have been looking at your progress and you have some really good looking things here. Ive been learning Maya for a while now and i haven't been able to find a good fur tutorial. Your result look fantastic almost pixar quality. Were did you learn to do that kind of fur or can you write a tutorial for it. That would really help me a lot

As for that last shot, It looks great the only things are that the tree looks very bland and gray. Try to make it more vibrant. Also the grass looks jagged. Other than that it looks fantastic

Michael

aghill
04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi people.

Another test I wanted to share here. Bringing the combined layers and some effects on top of it. Its all about color. What do you think of it? Is there a problem with the difference of the character and the set?

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Scene_0020_01.jpg

Would love to hear some oppinions on it.

dude5487: Thanks. Im glad that you think its working.

mustan9
04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
I like the design! :)

The shadows just don't work for me. The direction of lighting looks to be coming from directly behind the camera, and all your 3D objects look very flat to me.

The bark on the tree looks very smooth, and the texturing twists around the tree in an un-natural way.

The dirt on the ground seems to lack detail to me. Doesn't look like real dirt.

Most of this is ok, but it's that lighting that I think needs the most work.

aghill
04-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi mustan9. Thanks for the comments. I think your right. The lighting is totally flat.
I will need to make it much better.

About the bark, I think ill take the off the filter. Maybe that can make it more sharp and crisp. About the way it wraps around the trunk is kinda an idea I had. To make it flow like the shapes. Maybe its not working as I intendet it... Could happen Ill redo the texture on the tree.

Lighting Lighting Lighting:)

Cya!

doffer
04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Wow, that last "test" looks great!

How is the rendertime on the last image with the rat?

Looking foreward to see more :P

Held og lykke :)

aghill
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
doffer: Thanks. I like that you think it looks good.
The render time is 6 min per frame. With animation on the camera its like 20-30 min total.

Heres a new look test.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Scene_0040_01.jpg

Its moving forward.. What do you think?

mustan9
04-20-2007, 03:54 PM
It needs GI or something. Maybe try rendering with a HDRI on an sphere.

dude5487
04-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I agree with Mustan on that as well as I think the field of vision is to clear all the way through, like the tress in the back should be have a bit more blur to them.

jussing
04-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Hi all,

I agree it looks super!, and that the lighting needs some more juice. Here are my suggestions:

The rat's shadow is very sharp. (and very black!) Try entering an angle on the raytraced shadow parameter, and double the number in the "samples" slot. For instance try an angle of 5, with 10 samples.
The tree... I think it looks flat because the left 80% of the tree is lit so brightly is shows no curvature in the shape, and the right 20% is just black. I'd try moving that light so it comes more from the side.
Kickers, backlights and bounces! Make objects pop out by putting in more lights, to emphasize their edges and shapes. Backlights in an open environment is of course "fake", but hey, they do it on live-action shoots, so you can do it in CG.
The rat is dying to get a blueish backlight/rimlight on his left side, to make him pop out from the background and draw his shape - pretend it's coming from the large area of open sky in the left side of the image.
Give the rat a green/brown bounce from the ground/tree on his right - a contrast to the sun coming from the left.
The tree and the Burton'esue spiral thingy could also use soft blue backlights from both right and left, simulating the large sky behind them.
From a shader point of view, the grass hills in the background could use some falloff/fresnel effect, to make the grass brigther around the edges of the hill (this effect is not just cartoonish, you also see it in real-life grass - when you look DOWN at grass, you look between the strands of grass, and all the way to the dark soil, but when you look horisontally at grass far away, you only look into the sides of lots of grass strands, and it will appear greener and brighter - so the brightness of grass depends on which angle you're looking at it)

Good luck, it looks really great!

Cheers,
- Jonas

jussing
04-21-2007, 07:06 AM
A few more things:

As for story, the whole "main character must learn something" is just a guideline, I think it's a great punchline to have him unlearn when the second apple hits him. Just look at the Ratatouille animation test that was on YouTube... not a lot of story, but super entertaining nonetheless.
I agree that you should keep it short, keep the pacing tight! Just like the Ratarouille animation test - the smaller your story is, the fewer seconds should it take to tell it. Plus, you'll be done sooner if you cut it down. :)
Cheers,
- Jonas

aghill
04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi people. Thanks for the comments.

mustan9: I dont think ill do GI. Its too render heavy

dude5487: maybe the dof needs a little more blur. Ill try it out. Further more, the sky dome color isnt really that interresting in color. Maybe I could but in a tad more color in the bottom.

jussing: thanks:) Alot of good stuff there. The grass hills in the background prolly should have some falloff, I think your right on that.

Right now im using a blue fill light, but its not powerfull enough. Ill try working with it.
The bounce is green - I think ill just have to power them up. Your definatly right that its too dark. About the tree being flat, maybe a rim light could do the job.

Thanks for the comments. Good stuff! :)

Cya and take care.

aghill
04-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi people.

Ive got a new test here. Ive cranked up the light on the set. The light on the rat is the same still.

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Scene_0040_02.jpg

What do you people think?

Cya.

jussing
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I like the depth better in the new one. :)

Not sure about the light though... looks like you just added some flat ambient?

Cheers,
- Jonas

mustan9
04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Your renders are improving, but at this point my comments would be to move on with the animation.

The lighting process isn't that important at this stage because you're still in the animation phase. So keep tweaking as you go, but don't worry about it too much.

I do think you need some GI or (FG if your using MentalRay). The ambient component looks too simple. Again, later in the lighting process you can brake down your renderings into the passes you need to composite the final shot. Don't try to figure out a "one click" render setting that gives you what you want in one pass. It never happens that way for me.

I know these things can take far to long to render, but you should think about your short film as an investment. To do all this hard work, modeling, texturing, rigging, animation and then render with low-settings is selling yourself short. So if you have to leave your computer turned on for 4 weeks, then do it.

If you get something that looks professional you'll get years of use out of it.

dude5487
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I think it is progress on kind of blurring up the background...but its not blue anymore. This is just me but it makes me feel like its kind of gloomy, not as upbeat as before.

aghill
04-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for the comments.

dude5487: Yeah I think the background is a bit too blurry now. Its allso desaturated as of now.

mustan9: Hi there. Im in the animation progress right now. Ill post some WIP tomorrow if I find the time. Half of the animation is pretty much blocked out.

As of now, the picture consist of a set-color pass with char shadow, a occlusioon pass, a depth pass, a falloff pass (ill have to play around with this one), a skydome pass, and a character pass. Im combining these layers in fusion. Its certainly not a "one click render setting" :)

Ill have to think about the render time thing. Maybe I should crank up the rendertime to get better quality...

jussing: thanks. I think the depth is better too. Right now the lightsetup is a key with a slight orange, a bounce with green and a fill with blue. Furthermore theres a white rim comming from behind. Oh and theres a volume light on the background.

Its still flat though, and I do agree in the "ambient"-like light. Ill have to play around with it. Another thing I notice now, is the blur in forground. looks weird.

Anyways. Cya and take care.

mustan9
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
As of now, the picture consist of a set-color pass with char shadow, a occlusioon pass, a depth pass, a falloff pass (ill have to play around with this one), a skydome pass, and a character pass. Im combining these layers in fusion. Its certainly not a "one click render setting" :)

Really? I'm sorry I didn't know. If you wouldn't mind, could you post your layers? It just doesn't look comped correctly. I can't see any ambient occ. at all.

aghill
04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey people.

Had a chance to test the render pipeline on one of the scenes today.

It enden up with this

http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Clickpic_03.jpg (http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/Scenes/Scene_0060_01.mov)

Its the scene right before he is hit by the apple.

mustan9: Here is a occlusion pass from the same scene.
http://www.thomashaas.dk/Rat/concept/Scene_0040_Occlusion.jpg

dude5487
04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Its beautiful to look at! The background is pleasent to look at and really nice on the eyes.

I am sure it could go much much further but its making progress so much props for that!

mustan9
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Very interesting. Your amb-occ is washed out except for around the mushrooms. It's not picking up the tree bark or ground details. Could be that your using a bump map? Can you try a displacement map on the ground and tree truck.

There is also no amb-occ for the rat. Did you hide him because of the fur? You don't need the amb-occ to include the fur, because the geo body of the rat would generate a close enough amb-occ for the tree.

You might have macro/micro detail problems. Where your trying to pan/zoom the camera from further away to closer in on the tree. Causes problems because the lighting and setup for the start and end positions of the camera don't always work together. What looks good far away, doesn't look good up close and the reverse. You know what I mean?

MN3M
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
hey buddy..
how r u ?
up now , good job , but where is the rest of project ??
i wanna to ask you some questions becaus am working now on a Rat project but in a different way but i use maya , i see ur thread after i finish my character model so i want to ask u little about the fur , render and light..
well :
1- why u dont use the maya fur ?? is the shave and hair better ?? and why it is better ??
2- for the render u say u use maya software render!! how did u get this quelity of render ??
3- how do u use the light with the fur ?? what kind of light..
* would u put a print screen to the render parameters and this stuff :deal:

and thanx for ur time..
muhammed

chrishaighcomposer
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
That fur looks really great, and i like the background look, the curly tree or root kinda reminds me of a Tim Burton look, but hay what do i know hehe
thanks for sharing

Kindest Regards
Chris Haigh

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.