PDA

View Full Version : Extrudes poly oh my

koon69
02-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Newbie alert. Why is it every time I extrude a object the polys flip out and I have to go back- to each one- and hit F to flip the offending poly? Anyway to change that before u extrude?
Why is it when you select a poly CTRL-H you have to un-select each poly the same way to move to another tool? Last Q. Can some one please point me to a website that goes into depth over the simple and basic tools approaches to LW? I think tutes are easier to learn than books.

CIM
02-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Use Bevel Or Smooth Shift.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-17-2003, 02:54 PM
or, if it's happening all the time, hit 'f' before you extrude...

4dartist
02-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Use Shift F to extrude. I never have issues of flipped polys really, and if you do you can use the align feature.. makes em all face the same way.. So if you get a model thats doing that, just make the surface double sided.. work until your done with the model and then make it single sided again (in the texturepanel) and use the align and tada all the surfaces normals point the same way.

As for selection if you want to deselect things in a fast way unstead of lasoing them or unclicking them, just hit "Forwardslash" Deselects. I use that quite often.

VirtualFM
02-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Smooth Shift and Extrude are not the same thing and give different results. Extrude keeping the original polygon(s), is a major one!

To avoid fliped polys keep this in mind: Extrude extrudes AWAY from the polygon(s). So it 'grows' away from the side the polygon(s) is(are) faced.

Smooth Shift work the other way, it works like beveling., it grows geometry in the direction the polygon(s) is(are) faced.

koon69
02-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Dont beat me up for this! :-)

But how do you use the align feature?
How do you make the surface double sided? Then back to single?

Told you I was new! This forum rocks! You guys are awesome!!

wgreenlee1
02-18-2003, 05:12 AM
Align is for flipping polys that are the minority of polys that have their normals facing the oppisite direction of the rest of the polys.

Surfacing panel is to me the best way for doing that.
If you make a poly double~sided and go over your undo limit then decide that you dont want those it can be a real chore to find them all for killing.
There might be better ways ..

mohh
02-18-2003, 05:30 AM
Hey VirtualFM,

I think 4dartist meant to say to active the Smooth Shift tool and right-click on the polys, then switch to the Move tool and "extrude" it out.

VirtualFM
02-18-2003, 11:33 AM
mohh, I wasn't refering to 4dartist in particular, was just informing the original poster of the difference between the tools.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.