PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Wallace :)

XTitan
12-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at a low poly character. It is also my first experience using normal maps and getting them to cooperate. All in all, I'm rather pleased with the result. I picked Ben Wallace because I like the way he plays, very much like myself when I'm on the court, and also because he recently joined the Chicago Bulls and I'm from Chicago. My goal was to keep him under 5000 tris and to successfully implement a normal map.

High and low poly base models were done in 3D Max 8, the high poly model was taken into zbrush for some more sculpting. I also had to break apart the shoes from the rest of the body to try my hand at modeling a show in zbrush. My textures were made in photoshop, with some of Zbrush's help for aligning and fixing seams. I used 3 maps, each 1024x1024(diffuse, normal, spec). I'm probably forgetting to mention something but I'm not sure what. I had fun and I learned alot! That's what's important.

Let me know what you guys think :)

XTitan
12-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Good morning everyone, I'm just putting up some more detailed views of Big Ben here. Everything is a screen grab from 3D Max except for the normal map displayed in the first post. Max wont display a 1024 resolution normal map well in the viewport. There are also no lights in the scene and he isn't rigged or set up for facial morphs, I just quickly opened his mouth to show that he has some teeth :)

XTitan
12-26-2006, 02:10 PM
PART-2
*again, the normal map is just rendered not printscreen.

XTitan
12-27-2006, 04:37 AM
No comments :), I'll take that as a good sign. Here is my UV layout at 50%. Thanks for looking, any and all C&C is welcome.

K_Digital
12-28-2006, 01:47 AM
I'd work on the face a bit more. This is a good start though. You should do a version with that wild fro he likes to wear.

XTitan
12-28-2006, 04:26 AM
His face from up close is distorted by the perspective, the image with the polycounter shows him a bit further away and he looks more like himself there, I've done a ton of tweaking on his face and it was the hardest thing to move away from because it's hard to decide when to move on :) . As for an fro, I think I'll work on that when I get some time, he's not sporting it too much on the Bulls but I like the way he looks with it. Very beast like :)

P.S. I see you have FMA as your avetar, check out my homepage, I have Alphonse in 3D. I really like that show :)

Gusgus
12-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Hes comming along nicely man. I think what he really needs tho is shading. If you put shadows and highlights in the right places itll really make him pop.

XTitan
12-28-2006, 06:19 AM
My goal for this project was not to paint too many shadows or highlights and instead wanted my normal and specular map to handle that work. I was looking at alot of basketball games especially the new ones that came out to see how they were made but it is very difficult to find a good balance between the superhigh poly models of PS3 and the lower poly more texture map intensive games. I've attached an image that when rendered shows the normal map working a bit more like its supposed to. I have two omni lights in the scene only one is casting a shadow. The other is blueish lighting the model from the back just to pick up more of the silhouette. Thanks again for the pointers :)

P.S. I need some time away from this one too, I've been working on it for a month straight in my spare time but I need to step back and approach it again in a few days with fresh eyes. I think I can add some more shadowing to the legs and knees. I was also thinking of coloring the socks or at least putting the NBA logo on them. They are ok but maybe too plain. The uniform looks much better when rendered and lit, IMHO :).

requiem2d
12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I think you're doing really well too for a first, keep it up :)

XTitan
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
I finished rigging today.

I used biped and the physique modefier for the rigging process. He also has a Morpher Modifier to give him several facial expressions. I'm rather happy with how the rigging turned out, I haven't rigged anything low poly before, and all the high poly stuff was rigged for minor tweaks. He also has eyes rigged with a LookAt Constraint so that I can easily adjust where his focus is.

I ended up rigging several times because my topology wasn't cooperating. I ended up re-topologizing the elbows shoulders and knees. I also took Gusgus's advice and added some more shading to define the knees and arm muscles better.

I keep forgetting to mention Ben Mathis and his page www.poopinmymouth.com (http://www.poopinmymouth.com) I learned alot from those tutorials and I feel he deserves acknowledgement.

Thanks for viewing and for your input, I think I'm going to put this one to rest for now and get back to my older projects that still need completion. This project was a great learning experience.

(1 main omni + one 1 blueish rim omni, all images are print screen from viewport)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.