PDA

View Full Version : OSX - Rendering engines.

mattjakob
12-26-2006, 12:08 AM
If you go and search on the internet for some rendering engines and have a Windows system, you probably wont have to much to care about. Most of them run under it.

Probably Windows is good for a lots of reasons when it comes to deal with big projects, coding and so on, but IMO mac OSX is far better for "individual projects" like the creation of still images or "more artistic" workflows.

A thread on the rendering engines working under mac OSX I think could save some time to all us mac users... Share your experiences !!

mattjakob
12-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Maxwell Render
Excellent rendering engine. Even without lightning the scene you can achieve impressive results. Insetad of the vast majority of the rendering engines it works computing the light frequencies, assuring a true phisically-correct output.
Along with it, comes a very-handy scene editor and an ultra-handy material editor.
With the last you can create extremely accurate materials both empirically and scientifically (IOR tables and so on).
On the company website there's a vast archive of downloadable materials, worth a look.
Only badnote is the it takes A LOT of time to render. Actually it has no limit to the rendering process, it's up to you to decide when to stop it.

- lots of options for the lights (but not complicated)
- very accurate material editor
- sky

COMPANY WEBSITE : http://maxwellrender.com/
MATERIALS DATABASE : http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/
TOP MATERIALS LIST : http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/ranking_scripts.php (<-- really have a look at them)

TopherMartini
12-26-2006, 02:12 AM
RenderMan for Maya is my goto renderer as I learn more about Maya, but it's kind of unfortunate that they don't have a version that runs on Maya 8. When RenderMan Studio comes out it will offer a lot of cool features and workflows to artists using Maya on the Mac and will be a nice combination of RfM+RAT (only time will tell what price point Pixar sells it at though...).

As far as support is concerned you can't go wrong with any of the bundled renderers, with Mental Ray leading the pack probably. Because it ships as a second-party product with Maya you're always guaranteed to have an up-to-date product with each release of Maya.

Maya Software renderer is also nice because you can use Apple Qmaster to integrate a lab of computers rather nicely and efficiently. Since Maya SW doesn't require a license for render nodes it allows you to blast through scenes quickly, and the Maya plug-in for Qmaster offers easy access to batch renders.

Just my $0.02 :D

inguatu
12-26-2006, 10:48 AM
If you go and search on the internet for some rendering engines and have a Windows system, you probably wont have to much to care about. Most of them run under it.

Probably Windows is good for a lots of reasons when it comes to deal with big projects, coding and so on, but IMO mac OSX is far better for "individual projects" like the creation of still images or "more artistic" workflows.

A thread on the rendering engines working under mac OSX I think could save some time to all us mac users... Share your experiences !!

No but serioiusly, how is OSX better for individual projects like the creation of still images or more artistic workflow. Isn't the creation of still images wrapped around the artist and their tools, and not their OS? Also, for larger projects, like "coding and so on", a Unix based system I would imagine to be preferrable over Windows due to what you can do with shells and scripting.

I understand you love OSX, but please don't use that as a basis for starting a poll, especially if you intend on getting some real constructive feedback. I don't think starting a new thread on OSX render engines will do much considering you can easily search this great site for those answers which have previously been posted.

metalspring
04-16-2007, 12:15 AM
helo
i read your opinions now ...and i think thats not important the os you use ...
i use Rprosever 12 in windows for the home production work and mentalray in osxtiger with my macboocpro when im in another production place ..i think that the most important thing is to do a goodwork..i dont remember that someone ask me the kind of my os or the renderengine that i use...and remember that every situation hs it tools so dont love one much than other ..

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2007, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.