PDA

View Full Version : How would you put a strip with patterns on a shape.

PrayingMantis
12-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi everybody, Im modeling a breastplate and I have to put a strips of crosses on it.
I modeled the strip on a flat surface than I extracted a shape from an edge ( Im using 3Dsmax and I would be glad to know how to do it with it )
And I used this new spline as a path for my strip.
But the result is not really good. It was not really fiting on my breastplate.
Do you have a better way to do it ?
I have tried the Skin wrap modifier but I couldnt be able to make it working.

Here is my result.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/355/breastjn8.jpg

And an other question, how do you do to get a really smooth result with your hard part ?

How do you make great curve without any hollow.
Because My breastplate is not really smooth, is there an other way than pushing vertice one by one ?
I tried the relax modifier but it loose my form.

Thx

bigdoggie
12-26-2006, 12:45 PM
For smoothing try the turbo smooth modifier, and then select smoothing groups. Then turn up the Iterations, for a smoother result.

McKertis
12-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Do you have a better way to do it ?
Displacement.

PrayingMantis
12-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks you both of you.

bigdoggie: That was not what I meant. Turbosmooth or any other smoothing will increase your polycount, and giving a Smooth result.
What I want to do is being able to model gentle curvature, and pushing vertice one by one is not really accurate.
So I was asking if there was a cool tool who could help you to have a continue curvature without any hollow to help you.

McKertis : Yes, you are right, diplacment would be a nice way to do it. But first I want to extract a normal map from Max.
And second I couldn't be able to do it in Zbrush accuratly. I Have tried it but when you have to paint something continue like a strip in Zbrush and turn around your model its not really accurate because of the Projection Master Way.

Anyway thanx for your answer.

McKertis
12-26-2006, 04:35 PM
If not with displacement - there are only two ways : using Wrap function if a package has it (or doing the same manually), or just modeling what you need right on the surface.
I dont think there are any other choices...

bigdoggie
12-26-2006, 05:32 PM
ah well in that case..i have absolutely no idea.

PrayingMantis
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok, thanks.
So my way was good enough but I have to tweak it anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.