PDA

View Full Version : John's Painter Brushes Available!

pixlart
12-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Everyone:

The holidays are upon us...'tis the season to be giving.

As a holiday gift to CGF members, I'm making my personal custom brushesóJohn's Painter Brushesóavailable for download. I normally include these brushes in my workshops.

The John'sBrushes.zip file is available on the Resources page of my website. (http://www.pixlart.com/main)

My only request is that you please not re-distribute or re-name this content.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4149/sbrusheschartce9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Happy Holidays and Viva la Painter!

-john

Jinbrown
12-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the very generous gift!

A most warm and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Art2
12-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Thank you John and merry Christmas!

remcv8
12-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Huge Thanks, and Happy Holidays!!!

Samanthie
12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Great! Thank you very much!:)

kraal
12-25-2006, 06:34 PM
thanks a lot and merry christmas to you too

now one lil problem i cant seem to get the drips and splats nozzle to load.....

Jinbrown
12-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi kraal,

Here's how I loaded and used the John's Drips and Splats.nzl (Nozzle library):

1. In the Nozzle Selector menu, choose Open Library.

2. Navigate to the folder where the Drips and Splats.nzl file is located, highlight the file name, and click the Open button. Now the Drips and Splats.nzl library is loaded and ready to use.

3. With the John's Brushes brush library loaded, choose the Derry Dripper Hose brush variant and begin painting!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

kraal
12-26-2006, 12:12 AM
maybe its a mac thing but that is what i tried to do but the file isnt available in the open dialog

Jinbrown
12-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Hi kraal,

Are you sure you didn't click Load Nozzle in the Nozzle Selector menu? If so, Painter would be looking for a RIFF file (individual Nozzle file).

Since John's file is a Nozzles library, Painter will need to look for a NZL file (Nozzles library file) so you'll need to click Open Library in the Nozzle Selector menu.

Hope this helps. It's frustrating when you know something should work and it doesn't. ;)

kraal
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
nope following those instructions i dont get the oportunity to choose these nozzles

here is a screen shot of the dialog box

Jinbrown
12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi kraal,

I'm guessing you're on a Mac since that dialog doesn't look at all like what I see in Windows.

Maybe John will appear soon and be able to help, since I don't know what else to suggest.

Happy New Year!

ewiser
12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I am on a Mac and all I had to do to load the nzl file was to go to Open library.
Then select the Image hose and use the two nozzles.

kraal
12-27-2006, 02:48 PM
ok again the problem isnt me NOT using OPEN LIBRARY the problem is the nozzles are grayed out when i do that........

dindi
12-28-2006, 12:48 AM
The same situation happened on my Mac, kraal: that file was not highlighted in the nozzle 'load library' on my machine (g5 1.8) in the same way you stated. In frustration I used the nozzle mover and ported them over to my main noz library....they are wonderful.

ewiser
12-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I know this kind of thing can drive a person crazy. I just followed the directions in the downloaded folder. I dragged the nzl file to the Painter folder. Then restarted painter and did the open library and it was not grayed out and then went to the image nozzle and I was able to use them.
But like Nancy said use the Nozzle mover tool to get the nozzles into the basic nozzle set.
Click on the open button then navigate to the drips and splats.nzl
click on the file then hit the open button.
Now just click and drag both nozzles over the the left hand side which is the basic nozzle set.
There you have the nozzles.

kraal
12-28-2006, 08:18 PM
thank you that worked nuff said

ewiser
12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Your welcome nuff said.

Iheartballet
12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Can someone help? I'm new and don't know how to save the brushes?? I know that newbies can be annoying, but if anyone can explain this, I would be very grateful!:)

Jinbrown
12-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Can someone help? I'm new and don't know how to save the brushes?? I know that newbies can be annoying, but if anyone can explain this, I would be very grateful!:)

Hi and Happy New Year!

With the brush variant you want to save selected:

1. Go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Save Variant.

2. Type a unique name not already used by Painter.

3. Click the OK button. Now your custom brush variant is saved.

With the original brush variant selected (the one for which you made brush control adjustments):

Go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore Default Variant.
Now the original brush variant is returned to its default state.

Suggestion:

Use Help > Help Topics and read the chapters listed on the Contents tab, starting at the top and progressing down the list of chapters. Read them in this order because they're arranged so the most basic information for newcomers to Painter is listed first.

Use the Favorites tab to bookmark pages you'll want to return to later.

Make a habit of reading Help > Help Topics at least a few minutes each day.

This will help get you feeling more comfortable and confident with Painter faster than waiting for answers to questions.

Sometimes you'll either not be able to find something in Help Topics or not understand the information provided. When that happens, post a question here and be very specific about what it is you want to know, what you want to do, what brush category and brush variant you're using, provide a description of your image, and any other details that will help us to help you.

Have fun! :)

Iheartballet
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi and Happy New Year!

With the brush variant you want to save selected:

1. Go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Save Variant.

2. Type a unique name not already used by Painter.

3. Click the OK button. Now your custom brush variant is saved.

With the original brush variant selected (the one for which you made brush control adjustments):

Go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore Default Variant.
Now the original brush variant is returned to its default state.

Suggestion:

Use Help > Help Topics and read the chapters listed on the Contents tab, starting at the top and progressing down the list of chapters. Read them in this order because they're arranged so the most basic information for newcomers to Painter is listed first.

Use the Favorites tab to bookmark pages you'll want to return to later.

Make a habit of reading Help > Help Topics at least a few minutes each day.

This will help get you feeling more comfortable and confident with Painter faster than waiting for answers to questions.

Sometimes you'll either not be able to find something in Help Topics or not understand the information provided. When that happens, post a question here and be very specific about what it is you want to know, what you want to do, what brush category and brush variant you're using, provide a description of your image, and any other details that will help us to help you.

Have fun! :)

I have downloaded some brushes before, but was not sure if I should ask here. That was my first post. Thank you so much for being so kind and for all of your help!!:)

mdwsr
12-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Thank you John.

GaryDXD
01-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello. I click on the link to your brushes and I get a very odd named file. Help.

pixlart
01-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Gary:

I just test-downloaded the ZIP file with no problems. I occasionally hear about the "phantom file", but I have no idea what generates it.

Try using your right mouse button to utilize the contextual menu's command to download the linked file (rather than clicking on the link).

Here's a direct link: John's Brushes (http://homepage.mac.com/pixlart/.Public/John'sBrushes.zip)

Let me know if you still can't d'load it.

GaryDXD
01-23-2007, 03:35 AM
That worked. Thanks John. And thanks so much for sharing with the community!

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2007, 03:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.