PDA

View Full Version : exclude/include light

animaxforever
12-23-2006, 04:11 PM
hi,

how can i exclude a object from getting illuminated from one of the lights in the scene but still producing the shadow casted due to that light.

Means, if i have multiple objects and lights in a scene and i want one of the lights to act as a shadow caster for a ONE OF THE OBJECTS. then how can i do that.

I am using maya 7.

vanquish
12-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I think I have been able to solve your problem. Look at the attachment. I have 2 lights - orange and blue. All spheres have the same white lambert. As you can see the top sphere is lit only by the blue light BUT casts shadows from both lights.
What I did was:
this top sphere is in fact 2 spheres sitting on top of each other (just duplicate the object you want). And now: select one of those objects and turn off Primary Visibility in Render Stats, select the other one and turn off Cast Shadows (but leave Visibility ON) AND select the one with Cast Shadows OFF, shift select the light you want to exclude and Break Light Links under Lighting/Shading in Rendering tab.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Emil3d
12-24-2006, 12:44 AM
In Maya 8 they provided separate menus for light and shadow link breaks. Just break the light link between the object and the light and the shadow remains.

In previous versions you could do different things to acheive that, for example: on a duplicate of the light, type - (minus) in front of the intensity, turn off the shadow, and link it only with the object.

animaxforever
12-24-2006, 06:40 AM
situations's terrible.

vanquish: i have a very large scene with rigged character and many small objects.Anyways, the trick works.thanx.

Emil3d: your alternate solution works for me.Is there any other way by any chance?

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2006, 06:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.