PDA

View Full Version : Level Design

broli4000
12-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Alright all. Here is a little something that I have set up. Overall, its just a few hours work just in the modeling. Really no lighting or textures yet. Let me know what you think.

broli4000
12-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Here is another shot. Right now we are at 8714 polys, but im not really going for any specific poly budget.

Dennispls
12-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Not much to crit really.
The images you have provided are a bit dark and do not show much.

broli4000
12-23-2006, 06:55 PM
yeah i agree with ya. Sorry about that. On my monitor it seems pretty lit. I will post some updates soon with some nicer lighting and some texturing.

JustChris
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Also, it helps to tell us what type of game the level is for, what the objective is, etc. That way we get a better sense of feel for the level and know where you're coming from.

GradiusCancer
12-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Brightness seems fine.

Watch out for style mixing. Most things here are angular, but some bits are round. While this isn't necessarily wrong, if you put too much variation you'll lose visual direction.

Your thread title is level design, but I see more work going into small details. Got a top down of the design plan?

Be careful not to get too detailed before you start laying down some Uvs and textures. You might want to throw down some temp textures or a unit grid texture as you build so you don't have to do tons of UV work at the end.

broli4000
12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
yeah good points. I will get you all the top down after christmas as Im not in town anymore! The level is gonna be a FPS level. Just a starting point in the whole level.

Which bits are round? I tried to keep everything pretty angular with some raised edges in order to give it a not so jagged feel.

Isatche
12-24-2006, 02:49 PM
In what setting is for your fps placed?
Mmm... stupid question maybe, but without textures i cannot see if it is hangar or spaceship or I don't know what?!

broli4000
12-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Its a hanger / storage area. Yeah i understand that noone can tell without the textures. And with the planned textures you still wont be able to tell :) I will try and refine the area a bit and maybe make a decision to whether it is in a cave or if it is in a spaceship as I can go either way with it at this point and not hurt anything. I plan on having areas connected with some cool halways and side rooms a bit later on when I get the chance.

My methods:
Im really just going from my imagination as it hits me for the most part. I have this main room planned out in a rough sketch type of way but all of the details are kinda blurry until i start in on it and then I start modeling and it takes a style so I go with it. So I try to get the shape down and then just tweak until im happy.

Merry Xmas all and Happy Holidays!

matt

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2006, 04:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.