PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron's AVATAR - INTERVIEW

siouxfire
12-22-2006, 09:21 PM
It feels like this project has been in development forever(it was written 11 years ago!). I'm not a fan of most of his work, but Aliens was genius. He's looking to push the effects out of the park with this one.

Cameron says...

This has been a dream project of mine for more than a decade, but when I first wrote it, the technology was not advanced enough. So I stuck the script in the drawer until the technology caught up.

Now it has. "The film requires me to create an entirely new alien culture and language, and for that I want 'photo-real' CGI characters. Sophisticated enough 'performance-capture' animation technology is only coming on stream now. I've spent the last 14 months doing performance-capture work - the actor performs the character and then we animate it.

"We've set up a studio, and last week [Lord of the Rings director] Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg were here trying out the technology. I said to them, 'Take my tools and play with them for a week.' They were grinning from ear to ear. It's a really exciting time because so many new things are now possible."

What new toys has he developed?

READ THE FULL STORY HERE - COURTESTY OF 'THE INDEPENDENT' NEWSPAPER (UK) (http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/features/article2087309.ece)

shy-guy
12-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Geez.... james cameron, steven spielberg and peter jackson together in a room... i swear if i enter the same room i will start crying tears of blood from the pression in my humble brain... :D

Anyway, cool read, i hope he can pull off everything heīs going for, i really think heīs a helluva director, and i like most of his movies.

Iīve always thought that part of the reason why he hasnīt made a movie for so long is the fear of not meeting the expectations cause of his last outing, the most succesfull (financially speaking) movie of all time.

Go James!

Ivan D Young
12-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Holy Crap! we have to wait for the summer of 2009, Aw Crap that is too long. C'mon James we want it now!

yolao
12-24-2006, 08:36 PM
i anticipate this one as well as battle angel wich is reported to be released after avatar.

BillSpradlin
12-25-2006, 04:27 AM
The wait will be worth it, trust me. I anticipate this movie being one of the best SCI-FI movies ever made...can't wait for it.

CGmonkey
12-25-2006, 05:15 AM
My head explodes!

Nemoid
12-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I LOVE sci fi and Cameron is a great director, so... cannot wait !:)

LightSovereign
12-30-2006, 07:03 AM
battle beyond the stars was one of me all time fav movies, it wasn't till a few years ago that i found out that james was chief model maker (actually i think in charge of art direction in general)..those are some awesome models, and i've seen his concept art for terminator, hes a real talent and i really look forward to Avatar with salivation hehehe..

I saw on tv a while ago that weta had scored the work for the movie, i'm now not very suprised at all :P..

Marley

siouxfire
12-30-2006, 10:22 AM
battle beyond the stars was one of me all time fav movies, it wasn't till a few years ago that i found out that james was chief model maker (actually i think in charge of art direction in general)..those are some awesome models, and i've seen his concept art for terminator, hes a real talent and i really look forward to Avatar with salivation hehehe..

I saw on tv a while ago that weta had scored the work for the movie, i'm now not very suprised at all :P..

Marley
Bloody hell. I never realised that not only Cameron worked on that film, but John Sayles was co-writer and James Horner did the soundtrack.

LightSovereign
12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
yea, it was a launch pad for many people...the actor bill paxton was a carpenter on the set aswell. (of course the connection with james, him being in terminator, aliens, titanic. etc)

Marley

siouxfire
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Some more bits regarding the tech side...
In addition to flesh-and-blood talent, Cameron may also be considering computer-generated characters for Avatar. According to the New York Times, there's a facial-mapping software package made by a company called Imagemetrics that Cameron's looking into.

Cameron intends to push the technological envelope with Avatar. He's going to shoot the movie with a digital photography rig he developed himself over a period of several years, and he's also mulled the possibility of tying in the film's release with an Avatar-based massively multiplayer online RPG. Nothing seems to have happened on the computer game front lately, however.
More HERE (http://movies.ign.com/articles/741/741089p1.html)

dzygn
01-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Some more bits regarding the tech side...

More HERE (http://movies.ign.com/articles/741/741089p1.html)

When will James Cameron come over to Singapore? :bounce: one of our Gods indeed :buttrock: .. Well I have a some Original Idea :lightbulb For Him that will change people view about anything :cry: ... complete with design package :deal:

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2007, 11:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.