PDA

View Full Version : MR - displacement to poly

Nerevarine
12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
hi all,

i want to convert the displacement mapping into actual polygons. maya already has that option, however it uses the software mode for that i think, it ends up really messy and incorrect. i would like to have the same effect created by the MR Approximation Editor. Is there any way to do that, and how?

thanks in advance

Ash-Man
12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
humm..I don't think that is possible

since all the tesselation happends in render time... :shrug:

Exo7
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
That was found under the Mesh node documentation (Maya):

userTrg (utrg) string NULL

The name of the user defined face triangulation function. By defualt, it is an empty string, which means Maya face triangulation will be used. Users can override the default triangulation by setting this attribute to the name of their own function registered with Maya through the API.
Could by any chance mr approx nodes belong to that category ? Could someone experienced give it a try ? I would be very interested in such a feature too... who would not ?

Cheers

bgawboy
12-27-2006, 11:44 PM
BTW, if you have a standalone pipeline, there is a way to remake your mi file to contain pre-displaced objects.

The -echo option to ray has a mode to echo the approximated geometry back into the file. Ex. ray -echo tesselated.mi approx -- original.mi

This means that you should turn the displacement off when rendering the remade mi file, or you'll get twice the displacement. Ex. ray -displace off tesselated.mi

Exo7
12-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Mmm interesting... but is there a way to extract the geometry from the mi file anyway ?

bgawboy
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
On export to mi files, the object has what is called 'source geometry', before any approximation method has been applied to create the tessellated renderable geometry. Using the -echo approx command above, it can apply your approximation to store a polygonal post-approximation tessellated version of the geometry as the source geometry in the echoed mi file.

CGTalk Moderation
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.