PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp #3: Mrhappypants: Bionic Commando

MrHappyPants
02-17-2003, 02:14 AM
Heres the finished version, 2360 Faces (without bionic arm gun or cannon, will do that later)

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/23214990.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/23214996.jpg

just so theres no confusion.. gameart comp #3 is OVER.. this is just an update... complete wip below

My model will be Bionic Commando from the Capcom NES game. I wasnt planning on doing a video game model (thought the new HE-Man would make a killer model) but changed my mind when someone mentioned older games getting a facelift. Bionic Commando is by far one of my favorite games of all time. I think a new version for the PS2 needs to be made!

http://pic2.picturetrail.com:80/VOL9/864334/1563949/20202348.jpg

A style is apparent with the series.. a kinda of anime mixed with american comic book. Loud colors and over the top exagerated weapons are used while still retaining a somewhat streamlined functional look. Im shooting for that feel with the final character. My concepts are almost done, ill post them soon.

chrisdejoya
02-17-2003, 08:25 AM
ah! a fan! i'll be keeping my eye on you, mr. happy pants.

MrHappyPants
02-17-2003, 04:31 PM
ok heres my concept sketches... not sure how I want to do the arm and tech yet. reference that ive found is confusing, hes supposed to have a "Bionic" arm which I would assume means its cyborg like? however ALOT of the reference just shows him shooting and holding onto a sort of chainlike tube with his human hand.

what do you guys think.. human hand with claw launching contraption, or a cyborg arm with claw hand?

any other comments? My marker and sketch concepts are ever so slowly improving.. :rolleyes: I have alot of respect for concept artists

http://pic2.picturetrail.com:80/VOL9/864334/1563949/20231482.jpg

ckaos@om
02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Very nice concepts !
I would definetly go with the human hand with claw launching contraption .. more original then the overdone cyborg thing.:thumbsup:
Cheers !

sanhueza
02-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Personally I'd prefer the cyborg arm rather than the device, but it's really a matter of personal preference and I believe both could come out well.

However, I don't like the shirtlessness of the concept drawing, and I don't think he should be Rambo-ified. As I remember, both the NES and arcade versions of the game had him fully clothed, and I think the arcade version might have had him wearing some sort of armor or heavy gear. I know you're trying to re-vamp the character, but I think some sort of sophisticated camo gear or body armor would look better than what you have now and still hold better to the original style of the character. I like what you have going for the legs in the center concept. More of that would be cool!

- Me

tpe
02-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Definatly bottom left top right as far as the hand goes. Great concept btw, the character is really getting a face lift.

tpe

Krystman
02-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Hm.. I would strick to the original and leave the cyberarm out plus get him dressed. Wasn't "Contra" the NES Game with half-naked guys with guns? ^_^

MrHappyPants
02-18-2003, 01:32 AM
ok so I like the shirtless commando look, but I see where using hightech body armor might be more appealing.. I whipped up another concept and do actually like this style better.. and Im trying to stay away from the bulky military coat of the 8bit game. I think they used that style because the black line of pixels looked better on screen. (see reference above)

http://pic2.picturetrail.com:80/VOL9/864334/1563949/20269186.jpg

any comments? do you think this is a better update to the feel of the 8bit capcom game? (not trying to emulate the look of the arcade or gameboy version.. )

MrHappyPants
02-21-2003, 11:39 PM
heres an early WIP shot.. just roughing out proportions

Jigsaw
02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
That last concept is pretty cool, and the model is shaping up nicely. However, I don't really like the long, flowing hair... Makes me think of Fabio.

*shudders*

I think a more anime-esque spiky hairstyle (a bit more like the original design) would fit better.

Ravennome
02-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Yeah I have to agree, great work, but axe the hair, its too long. What happens if his grappler gets caught in his flowing main... OUCH.

MrHappyPants
02-24-2003, 01:02 AM
haha yeah i know i got carried away with the fabio lookin hair :rolleyes:

i decided id cut it short and keep it spikey like the new rygar and solid snake.. also ive been tweak happy with this model/design.. the more i look at what ive sketched out the more i realize the new bionic commando would be stylized and have a look of anime.. not american muscle.

ugh well im learning alot at least!

MrHappyPants
02-24-2003, 07:33 AM
another update.. i need to trim alot of polys its at 1700 right now. needs hair/hands/body armor/gun/techarmthingy so ive got my work cut out

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Another Update.. If it wasnt for weekends I wouldnt get much done these days.

Im finally getting a solid vision of where the new bionic commando should be going. (At least MY version of him) People/friends I talk to all seem passionate about this game character.. funny how we get attached to the games we grow up with. I just hope im doing him justice..

I feel the new version will be more nimble and quick. The type of character you would get if you mixed solid snake, spiderman, and a Moto X racer on crack. Solid snake for his espionage traits.. Spiderman for his swinging ability, and a Moto X racer for his aggressive boots and realworld body gear.

I still need to add hands, ammo belts, the Claw arm attachment, black glasses, and machine gun (or bazooka)

crits/comments?

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
one more..

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 11:03 AM
one more for real..

MrHappyPants
03-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Heres my latest updates, I dont have alot of extra time for side projects so this model is taking forever. I should finish on time though..

anybody have some advice on the hair? I want a more flowing/spikey look and im not sure how to do that with the polys..

comments/crits?

hes over budget by 500 polys, ive got some trimming to do. also the cable/attachment unit isnt finished

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/21767955.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/21767947.jpg

zoso
03-17-2003, 11:32 PM
the only thing that i really don't like about the model is that the calf is HUGE! does this guy do power squats all day or something?

MrHappyPants
03-18-2003, 12:01 AM
thats not his calf... its the fatigue pants stuffed in the back of the boot.

and yes he does do power squats all day but that wont give him big calfs. He would have to do Heel raises for that :rolleyes:

chrisdejoya
03-18-2003, 12:03 AM
he looks great! still has the same feel as the original too.

for the hair, the only thing i can suggest is alpha mapped strips, and set it up to look like his hair in the 8-bit version.

the calves don't look bad, you can tell they are some sort of padding.
and i don't know if this'll show up in the final, but the scowl on his face isn't working for me.

very nice, kickass model.

modeling-man
03-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Excellent form!
my only crit is in the head...the jaw seems a bit slim. Perhaps, just pull out those verts ever so slightly.
As for over budget, looks to me like you can kill most of the polys in the strap around his chest, one of the hands can be turned into a fist...considering in the 8bit he ALWAYS was packing heat:), the chest seems to have a lot of verts for the clothes you could probably sneak by with the texture and a good bump map, also if you are really tight for polys you could cut out the lift in the bottom of the boots. The arms could be trimmed too assuming you are using an 8 sided arm...a 6 sided could work too.

All in all for being busy this is just too cool.
I agree for the hair if you could spare like 25 polys for the hair you'd be set...however simple alpha maps would work if you were really hurting for polys.
B

DustyKrakk
03-20-2003, 02:50 AM
Lookin' awesome man.....

I love the new design for the claw that you chose. It looks a lot more articulate....like it could grab on to a lot more than just cylinders or something. ;)

For the hair, I'm sorry but this guy looks to me like a very SIMPLE cut. Buzzed/tapered in the back, slightly prickly on top. maybe similar to Duke Nukem or something. I think making it long or even midlength will look kind of odd for the body structure of the character. If you notice in his original design, its not very long....just kinda "messy" is the vibe I get.

Hope that helps.

-Dusty

ckaos@om
03-20-2003, 03:12 AM
Looks awesome !
Love models with presence and 'weight" like that !
The claw look good too .
About the hair : frankly i almost think it would fit him as is, i'd just make it less long and flowing less to the back..
Cheers !

MrHappyPants
03-21-2003, 01:09 AM
this weekend ill try the alpha strips for hair.. and trim him down. dont really have any time for noodling/nitpicking so im going to start on the texture and fix whatever after the comp... texturing is going to be VERY hard so ill need lots of re-do time

:beer:

bentllama
03-21-2003, 03:07 AM
someone call 1 800 collect cause that is one mean ass Carrot Top!

:beer: ;)

MrHappyPants
04-04-2003, 06:49 AM
heres a couple updates on this one.. the texture is taking too long so I couldnt enter it in the comp.. plus I decided to keep it higher poly (3200 still need to do gun). the textures are only about 20% done... so its mostly flat color.

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/22785525.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/22785520.jpg

muckywetnoodle
04-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Looking nice! I like those vivid colors. BC was one of my favorites back in the 8-bit days. I think he'd look cool with the hair extended out more to a point like your concepts.

Ravennome
04-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Sweep the hair to a point but don't go fabio. It looks great man, but now you gotta stand up to the Capcom texture machine. You have to look like RE and DMC, Just as good should be a cool test.

ckaos@om
04-04-2003, 12:34 PM
wow ! looking good !
Really sad you didn't enter the contest !
On the other hand the extra details really do make him better.
The only thing i don't really dig is the "ammo belt", it looks a bit too "smoothed out", but well a texture makes the diffrence in such a case :)
The color sheme is quite nice aswell !
Really looking forward the final !

DaKrunch
04-04-2003, 04:59 PM
hey i'm so sorry u didn't enter the contest at last i love ur character so far!

anyway...

thanks for the support to all other participants!

:thumbsup:

SPruss
04-04-2003, 06:01 PM
It's looking good! can't wait for the final textured version! ..damn that game brings back good memories from my nostalgic Amiga days.. aaaahh.. :p

MrHappyPants
04-04-2003, 07:18 PM
thanks guys.. Im hoping to have the textures done this weekend. Im a little slower at that then modelling.. wish I could watch over Bobo's shoulder or somethin :p

Ill play with the hair some more once I start texturing it.. and I plan on studying hair styles soon. It became all too obvious to during this comp that I dont really get the structure/flow of hair.

Prs-Phil
04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
yeah, sad that you didnt enter, I can say that now after I have judged.

Very good model.
Cant really say much about the texes only that they are going the right way to making him a allround great model.

Keep it up

modeling-man
04-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey Happy.
How do you plan on riggin that arm piece with the cable? I've always wondered how to go about rigging something like that.
Thanks,
B

MrHappyPants
04-04-2003, 10:32 PM
you know im not sure.. I have very little experience with animation. ive had classes on it but ive only rigged up a few characters and its been a few years. Ill probably let this guy sit for awhile and rig up a simpler model. then go back to him and try to figure out the best way to rig/animate a bouncy tube. I might also have to rework the model later and run the hose up his arm to a backpack... that way it wont be a seperate object. I thought that might look goofy so I went with the free tube

guys at work will know more. ill definetly post that stuff when I get to it. Id like to fully animate him and figure out how to shoot the claw in an engine.

Prs-Phil
04-04-2003, 11:55 PM
hmmm Ive just started learning low-poly charanimation and Ive bought this book. It really helps, you might wanna buy it, its top :thumbsup:

Paul Steed - Charanimation for games ---- @ Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584502703/qid=1049498539/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-3585871-8609657)

MrHappyPants
04-05-2003, 12:28 AM
yes the steedster.. ive thought about buying this but it slipped my mind. i get so bent out of shape with improving modelling/texturing that im scared to move on to rigging/animating. ill grab that book and start soon though. it will no doubt improve my models deformation abilities.

bentllama
04-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Those Steed texts are OK for newbies, but in my opinion they are very close-minded and MAX-centric...a tunnel-vision approach to making characters...

...there are some great little things that you can get out of the books...but nothing you could not read about at the bookstore [or on the internet] in half an hour and walk away with...instead of paying 50 clams for the book...you will find this true for alot of books, good or bad...

oh...and motion is universal...there really is no such thing as "low poly animation"...

Prs-Phil
04-06-2003, 01:33 PM
hmmm thats true but like you said for a NOOB its allright and I as a animatingnoob find it very helpfull :)

The book would have to be brought by lorry if he would look at all the possible ways to get it done ;)

MrHappyPants
04-07-2003, 12:11 PM
allright well to learn texturing better im going to cut my losses and change this guy to a normal joe. an espionage character like solid snake. I just dont have time to get all the bionic commando accessories done and im burning out on this guy. bit off more then i could chew. I think I learn quicker from copying established designs.. the next few charcters i do ill try to get more reference.

ill finish up the textures over the next few days.. not sure about the hair yet. im tempted to just make him bald now instead. I need to move on to the next character anyways...

ill come back to the bionic commando character eventually but ill redo him from scratch.

any crits on the textures/colors/design/detail is very much appreciated. I think what i have so far is coming along ok. the gun was looking very odd and didnt fit. i think the airtank/hose idea was bad. :shrug:

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/22970665.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/22970630.jpg

SyDemon
04-07-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm extremely attracted to the colour contrast! Love his vest and boots!

MrHappyPants
04-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Finished version (ended up being 2360 faces) Ill add the bionic arm and cannon later

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/23214990.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL9/864334/1563949/23214996.jpg

just so theres no confusion.. gameart comp #3 is OVER.. this is just an update...

ckaos@om
04-11-2003, 10:19 PM
really love the way it turned out : no crits frankly , other than i can't wait to see him with his accesories !
Cheers !

Witchy
04-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Great model, the colours really work.

CADster
04-12-2003, 03:57 AM
he looks very good IMO. i remember the game and i think you did a great job nailing the colors :thumbsup:

to me he looks a little like vegita (from DBZ) in the face :)

SyDemon
04-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Are you going to use it for any game? *UT2003...UT2003* Huh? huh? Any games in mind? *UT2003...UT2003* :D

MrHappyPants
04-12-2003, 04:15 PM
I guess I could use it for UT2003.. never thought about that.. maybe if i get a chance Ill look into it.

how long does it take to export over? im using max 5 and character studio

wanzai
04-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Nice to see it done!

But I have some crits though. It almost seems like you were no longer motivated to really finish him, the texture is not very polished.

IMHO, the painted shading isn't simple and blocky enough to look really cartoony, neither is it rendered enough to be more. The colors are a bit too saturated, too... maybe.

Come on, you can do better!

modeling-man
04-13-2003, 05:54 AM
hey happy, only prob i got is the head. The ear looks very odd...too far back on the head? I'm not 100% sure because there isn't a profile shot. Besides that agree with the texturing..but I mean like you said you've been busy. So not bad...I mean hell I haven't touched my Comp 3:Homer in a good month...which I PROMISE i will finish. When? maybe when I get a job? hehe we'll see.
B

SyDemon
04-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Actually I'm a complete dunce in the art of making custom player models for any game, gonna learn soon enough :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.