PDA

View Full Version : Boolean Problem

illustrativ
02-17-2003, 01:12 AM
i am making a building model, but each time i make a boolean it leaves a line in the subtraction, could someone tell me how to get rid of this or how to not get this in the first place?

here is a image with the problem.

http://uk.geocities.com/utica_2k/problem.jpg

Chagidiel
02-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Allow me to assure you that you do not have a boolean problem. That line will not be visible in render, unless you render it in wireframe mode.
Itīs there because of how 3d-polygons work... they kind of need to be told where to begin and where to end.

illustrativ
02-17-2003, 01:45 AM
i dont know if you are able to see the image but i did the mansion tutorial and this line problem wasnt there but now when im trying it on my own i get this problem, when its time for me to texture i think its gonna give me an extra polygon in the uvmap.

http://uk.geocities.com/utica_2k/problem.jpg

Just incase the image isnt showing, there is the link to it.

Chagidiel
02-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Sure I can see the image, but I promise you that there is no extra polygon made by the boolean and that it is, to my knowledge, no way of getting rid of that line.
Mark the poly that worries you and check in the lower left of the screen. There it will read "Sel: 1", and that means there is only one polygon selected.

That line has nothing to do with the boolean, itīs just there to tell where the polygon ends and starts (sort of).

If you want quick "proof"; make a plane, bevel it slightly with a positive inset (inwards), merge the four new polygons (the "frame") and you will have one polygon looking kind of the one you have posted... (with a line and all) :)

illustrativ
02-17-2003, 02:11 AM
hey Chagidiel thanks. You have just saved me alot of time because i have been here trying other methods of getting the subtracted bit. and i was trying to get rid of the line aswell, but your theory was right. THANKS ALOT.

Chagidiel
02-17-2003, 02:25 AM
Coolers :cool:

The problems that are because we think they are problems, but are not, are the scariest kind. The manual wonīt help there either, just experience.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.