PDA

View Full Version : Realistic explosion help...

Mickey
02-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey, I'm having some trouble creating a realistic grenade explosion with hypervoxels. I have read the manual and searched for tuts, but all of them are about fireballs and space explosions with lots of fire. I'm going for a more dirt and dust, realistic approach. I have been looking at films such as We Were Soldiers for reference. I'm not having so much trouble with the initial blast as I am with about 7 frames into it, where the dust is all there and it starts being wisped away by wind and whatnot. It clumps together too much.

The setup I have currently is one volume emitter for the dust, and another surface emitter for the tiny pieces of dirt that are thrown up.

I'm going for as realistic as possible since the final goal is to composite these with some live action plates a few of my friends and I shot.

Any links to tuts or advice would be appreciated. I'll probably post up the actual Lightwave file in a bit, so you can mess around with my settings or point out some errors that I have.

Mike RB
02-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Make sure you use the dissolve effect for the hypertexture. Set the speed so that the sprites or volumes are gone by the time you want them to fade away. That will be a big help.

Mike.

Mickey
02-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the reply, but it's not so much the dissolving that I'm having trouble with. In the movies I've been watching the dust stays around for quite a while, but it's more the transition from the initial fast moving condensed blast, to the spread out calm cloud that is giving me trouble. I'm having trouble getting my PFX systems to behave how I want, and then getting my hypervoxels to go through that change too. I'm messing around with animating various attributes. Is there a way to preview the motion blur on hypervoxels quickly? As I said, I'll try to post the actual file later tonight if anyone wants to mess with it.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.