PDA

View Full Version : Particles in Mental Ray?

monkey monkey monkey
12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I've made some basic particles that fall straight down, and they're currently set to point.
However, sometime between Maya 7 and 8, it's stopped letting me do hardware renders.

Warning: Graphics card capabilities are insufficient for Hardware rendering on this machine.
It's a pathetic GPU (radeon 9600) but at least it let me in Maya 7.

So now i've got particles and no way to render them. 'Blobs (s/w)' are way too large, ideally it'd be something like Multi-Streak. No idea how to put sprites onto them, and instancing small round 'bubbles' to them would look naff and takes ages to render.

Basically: Is there a way to render particles without using the Hardware Renderer?

EDIT: I found this in the help file, but seriously, what?

Particle system translation and rendering
Particle types for software rendering are supported on all platforms for rendering with mental ray. To render particles, a new mayabase shader library is required, which is also provided for all platforms. Particle data are also exported to .mi files. These files cannot be rendered on machines with different byte ordering (big end or little end) than the machine where Maya has been used (for example, mixing Linux and Windows). Particle translation and rendering is limited and may not be able to handle large particle counts. Light linking is not supported with particles. However, software particles and particle instancing should work together seamlessly.

equa
04-25-2007, 02:44 AM
I am in need of help as well with this issue, only I've got a Nvidia 7950 GT and don't want to use the hardware renderer. I need to render particles in mental ray as I've got collision with objects and a DOF lens. Any help is appreciated

Dave

Ash-Man
04-26-2007, 04:20 PM
did u try cahcing the particals

NITRO1250
04-29-2007, 02:05 PM
How exactly do you cashe particle effects? I have been rendering for 4 days now on a hardware render and I would like to speed it up as I have a quad core just twiddling it's thumbs... Any suggestions for Mental Ray rendering out my frames?

EDIT: I found the setting, but when I hit it, I get a maya buffer overrun error which frags maya. I need a way to batch out my frames using my 4 cores because it has been rendering for 4 days now....

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2007, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.