PDA

View Full Version : Walk cycle, please crit

Morbid789
12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, as well as my first walk cycle, so thank you for looking. The model is largely, well, completely, actually, influenced by Stu from Animation Mentor, but remodelled and rigged in 3DS Max. I would really like to improve this walk, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/Morbid789/z/walk2_web.mov

travishowe
12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Morbid,
Looking very good! I really like the rig, as well, very cool.

Here are some things that stick out to me:

1. First of all, just for ease of viewing, keep the very last frame out of the render, since it is the same as the first frame. It causes a hiccup when looped, because it hits frame 1 twice.

2. The hand thrusts seem quite strong on the way back forward. They're a bit quick, and stop relatively abruptly. This walk seems very determined, which is a great personality to go for, but the hand moving forward almost seems more like a punch.

3. I think the hips could be a bit more over the ground foot. When he sets is right foot down, his hips don't seem to go over that foot enough, not supporting his weight.

4. The shoulder, arm, and hand are hitting on the same frame. When you swing your arm backward, notice how your shoulder leads the action, your elbow rotates a slight bit after your shoulder reaches it's end, and your hand begins slightly after your elbow.

5. The head is popping pretty heavily. I like that you're putting a slight head-bob in there, but I think that it could be a little stronger/drawn-out, and make sure that the last frame lines up with the first so that you don't have a heavy pop.

6. I could be wrong on this (take all advice you get with a grain of salt) but since the foot is pointing outward on the step, allow the knee to do the same.

7. There's a heavy pop on his left hand between the first frame and the last. What can happen with a loop is that because the first frame doesn't have a prior frame to base it's tangents off of, and vice-verca for the last frame, their tangents tend either to be perfectly flat (bad) or one will be flat and the other will be curved (even worse). Try turning on Infinite Keys in the graph editor. That will allow you to see how the curves will loop.

Overall, especially for being your first walk-cycle, this is fantastic! Great job, keep going with it!

Travis

Morbid789
12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Travis - Thank you so much for the detailed critique. I *THINK* I've adressed all the issues you brought up, but the head bob and the arms still bother me a little. I toned down the arm movement, but tried to keep the determined feel to it.

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/Morbid789/z/Walk3a_Web.mov

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.