PDA

View Full Version : Normal AND Bump HELP plz!!

wezil
12-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone, it's been a while since i've posted, but i'm desperate.

I hate to think that there are some things you can't do in Maya that can easily be done in Max:sad:
So all im trying to figure out is how to make a shading network that uses BOTH normal and bump maps. I've tried a few things to no avail. I fear i simply don't have the knowledge:shrug:

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks in advance!

Wes

Exo7
12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey wezil !

I'm not sure your request is really relevant, usually people use either of these techniques but not both. A normal map can be convertd into a bump map, and 2 bump maps stacked together but then that'll become pointless to use normal maps (actually you wouldn't anymore). That's about vector maths and I don't have the knowledge too. Also I remember you can stack bump nodes in Maya, so you could plug a b-node holding a n-map into another b-node, but I don't remember the links :)

MaNdRaK18
12-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Also I remember you can stack bump nodes in Maya, so you could plug a b-node holding a n-map into another b-node, but I don't remember the links :)

bump2dN.outNormal ->bump2dN+1.normalCamera, and the last one is piped in YourShader.normalCamera

JasonA
12-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I seem to recall a sample clip from a Digital Tutors video that discussed displacement maps and bump maps being used together. I think it was in their sample clip for rfM. I haven't watched the lip for quite some time so I don't know if it will addess your issue, but have a look maybe it will help :thumbsup:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/display_video_store.php?vid=728

(you have to click on the video after the intro advertising to watch the sample)

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.