PDA

View Full Version : Character - Monster for fantasy game

TheKaej
12-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Stopped working on this guy awhile go, now coming back to finish up teh color map and add normal, spec. Any crits or comments would be most helpful.

EDIT: yeah I am having issues with my site right now, for now, attached images:

ill_logic
12-21-2006, 02:54 PM
hey there. i like him. my only qualm is that it looks like you mapped him out & anything that was skin you added that rocky/scaley sort of texture to (it looks like you're going for scales but it kind of looks more like the stacked stones in a wall or something). but my issue with it is it's not really uniform through out his entire body which looks strange. they look like they go from being big & stretched on his shoulders to microscopic & just plain noisy when you get to his armpits.
as another suggestion, i think you should maybe eliminate the scales on the lighter parts of the countershading (his chin, his belly) & some how work that into the normal or spec maps, so it's still there & you get a neat shine effect instead of it kind of muddying up your color map a bit.
also it looks like it's a bit more low poly than the 4k+ maya says you're getting. where are all those polys? can you post a wireframe maybe?

-J

BadSpleen
12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't know exactly what it is about the face, but it seems to come to too much of a point in the middle of the top lip and nose. It looks like its been mirrored a bit too much. My suggestion would be rounding off the top of the mouth, and maybe a more obvious nose to fill in the face. Possible making the face more asymetrical may help.

Other than that its a fantastic piece of work, any chance of a wirefram/polycount ?

Chilli

TheKaej
12-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Here are some shots of the wireframe. The head gets a little expensive. I agree that the scales need some work, some say more variation in size is needed, some say less, I think that is a very good point about them looking rocky. Many of the scales are rendered in a way that gives them a round look, as if they are protruding like rocks whereas I think scales are generally more flat. Definately going to be some reworking of those. Thanks for the input!

PenguinVisuals
12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
In your concept art, his stomach is looking more like a soft skin/flesh and I really like it. You should keep that can carry it over to your texture too.

SylvanMist
12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Ah ok, see the pics now :)

The concept & texture look really great! Nothing wrong that I can see except maybe you can optimize the mesh a bit more.2

ill_logic
12-22-2006, 03:09 PM
quickly, for the scales, it's okay to have variation in size, but the texture itself looks stretched & uneven in certain areas, like the arms. like i said they look big up around the shoulders but by the time it gets down to his elbow it looks as though it's noise, you know? if the size does vary, it should be intentional & right now it seems kind of random what's at what size. that was what i was saying earlier.

i agree about there being a bit of optimizing that could be done on the mesh itself. like the loincloth. right now each flap is sort of boxed shaped, when really all you need is the front & back side of polys. why the sides? and why so many polys around each span of his necklace? you really don't need it to be 4 polys around (it might not be, but that's what it looks like to me in that tighter shot). does each one of those little pouches at his waist really need an extra edge of polys facing inside toward him? does each one of those spikes really need an underside?

and something i just noticed that kind of urked me, where's his upper row of teeth? sure. he's got those tusks, but how is he going to bite into things? lol an easy fix i'd say is just set a row polys inside his mouth & stick an alpha on it. just a suggestion

-J

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 03:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.