PDA

View Full Version : Little Aviator, A.baldasseroni (3D)

Baldasseroni
02-16-2003, 09:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7988/Eklettica_aviator_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7988/Eklettica_aviator.jpg)

Hi,I made this just for fun , done in max 5, scanline rendering, polymodelling

c&c are welcomed !

Ciao,Ale

gruvsyco
02-16-2003, 09:16 PM
I really like the look and feel of this. Everything except the eyelashes, especially the lower ones.

ThirdEye
02-16-2003, 09:17 PM
You've done an amazing work as usual, nothing to crit here. Your lighting skills are superb, you're demonstrating that things like hdri and global illumination are useful only in certain cases and most of the times you don't need em at all. The face is expressive but not overrealistic, it's half a toon half realistic, really great style. Glasses are great and the hat is one of the best i've seen so far. Your texturing skills are amazing as usual, the shirt and the leather jacket are perfect. 5 stars from me, another great piece of art from you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MadeInUterus
02-16-2003, 09:58 PM
i don't really like the corners of her mouth nor the upper lip, but thats just personal interpretation, becouse i can tell that its a very nice render modell :)

i love your lighting, max's scanline is a powerfull render in the right hands, love the grainy look :) i wish i could light as good as you :(

oh, and textures, THEY ARE FIIIINE!, love the leather!!!:drool:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Baldasseroni
02-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks to everybody for the kind comments and for the crits, this has been a very fast artwork (for my slow times) , started as a joke and turned to be completed into a close deadline, so i agree with all the crits about mouth and eyelashes.

here`s some wire, and as u can see i didn`t make a very clean modellization , especially on the face, but at the end i didn`t dislike the finalt overall result.

http://www.eklettica.com/wire4.jpg
http://www.eklettica.com/wire5.jpg

Ciao, Ale

giz
02-17-2003, 12:12 AM
:thumbsup: :applause:

I really like this little aviator girl :)
Texture work is amazing.

Shadows on her eyes looks a bit strange, like eyelids are transparent :shrug:

I'd like to see her with smaller nose and bigger mouth.

ThirdEye
02-17-2003, 12:29 AM
He's a boy, not a girl, of course you would like to see him with smaller nose and bigger mouth, you think he's a girl :rolleyes:

giz
02-17-2003, 12:53 AM
:hmm: boy!?

:blush: sorry

Jhonus
02-17-2003, 01:35 AM
i thought it was a girl too. Its the big eyelashes that make you think this. I think.

The eyes are huge and far apart, nose is wide and lips really small... Not sure if i find it very aesthetically pleasing irrespective of gender.

oh yes, the bottom of the nose looks very strange... looks like the bit between the nostrils comes to a point.

cgbinho
02-17-2003, 01:37 AM
i think u did the eyes and eyelashes a bit girlie... i confess that i though that was a girl too until you replyed... that a personal question, kids have that innocent feeling, and you nailed that feeling very well. congrats

chk
02-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Nice work. Looks like Buddy Lee's love interest, because everyone knows a man of adventure needs an adventurous gal by his side. Even if he is a doll.
*EDIT* Boy?!

RockinAkin
02-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Very Very nice work.
Love the texturing and lighting.

I see a girl too.
Its because of the eyes and lips structure.

-DivideByZero-

LeConcorde
02-17-2003, 03:57 AM
so cute style, i like it!!! :applause:

so, is that boy? :cool:

ToddD
02-17-2003, 04:47 AM
Nice to see a beautiful piece like this rendered in good old scanline. Soo many people knock maxs' default renderer as being subpar, I think you have proven them all wrong. And I agree it is refreshing to see some good old fashioned lighting without all of the HDRi hype attached to it. This is what it is all about, I think alot of us, myself included, should understand lighting before relying on other methods for illumination. I usually do use standard lights, but not with the proficiency you have exhibited here. Great work...... really!:beer: :thumbsup:

flush77
02-17-2003, 04:50 AM
COOL BOY!!!:bounce:

Shady_Lady
02-17-2003, 04:55 AM
That's COOL, Eklettica, you're one of my favourite artist in this forum....

I like the 'Felix the Cat' on the little boy collar.....hehe..:beer:

derelict
02-17-2003, 05:04 AM
nice cute lil girl! very sweet!

Actiu
02-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Great work, really like the texturing, and the Felix the Cat pin is a plus :buttrock:

Plasticbag
02-17-2003, 06:15 AM
cute girl too.. love the textures.

kreno
02-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Nice aviator girl man :)

shaangfx
02-17-2003, 08:10 AM
good character! good emotion! good lighting:beer:

MrBraun
02-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Well done Ale!!! :bounce:
Bellissimo lavoro !!! :beer: :beer:

Blackrainbow
02-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Is a nice work!, i so think that te botton of the nose looks a bit strange.

Texture work is excellent, i like the jacket texture so much.

Is.........a Girl?

Lifthz
02-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Damn. Lovely. I'm installing Max 5 right now on my now reformatted, new OSed PC. ;)

Mangled Poly
02-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Nice i love it, reminds me of a catoony chick from the fineart.sk refrence pics!

Guirnaldo
02-17-2003, 10:36 AM
nice modelling over there man! Sweet cheeks has arrived! I definately like the way she looks and thats one good point, getting emotion out of your charcters is one of the hardest things to do in 3d, max5? :applause:
she (I hopefully asume it is a she, else he would be a very female looking he, and he would not have too many friends at that age) looks kinda doll-alike I think, it gives it that extra touchy, like it, but I guess there could be some changes on the ... or on ... nope nope

I guess critics are not ment to be!
Nice work! :thumbsup: :bounce: Love your works man!

Nima-3dman
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
wow...It is very good and the cloths are really nice, too

tempelgarden
02-17-2003, 10:59 AM
beautiful outside!!!!

...the face looks a bit to much like matt finish porcelain

but I Like this style a lot:bounce:
the pic attract lots of attention:thumbsup:

sophie

augustus
02-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Very nice:thumbsup: But i think there is a shadowmap offset problem.

frye
02-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Excellent job on the leather textures.

Is it just me, or does the pilot resemble Buddy Lee?

Hexodam
02-17-2003, 01:28 PM
looks great:bounce:

and thanks for the wires:wavey:

jadedchron
02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
he is definitely a good model, but he looks like a she:D . also you should take out the lower set of eyelashes as it makes the image look poor. very good :thumbsup:

draconix
02-17-2003, 05:52 PM
The model looks great, but you can only tell that it's a boy after being told. The eyes need to be smaller, the mouth longer. Also work on the eyelashes.

Great textures, love the lighting. :airguitar

Dearmad
02-17-2003, 07:15 PM
It is a great model with fantastic texturing, but even after being told it's a boy- it's still a girl, mate. Sorry. DAMN good one though! ;)

OZ
02-17-2003, 07:45 PM
BELLO!...NO DI PIU'!BELLISSIMO! modello davvero fantastico! I materiali poi sono ancoramigliori!:beer:

Baldasseroni
02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks to you all , it`s always a pleasure to receive so many feedbacks!!! :bounce:

Ok , i will reveal the sex of this aviator.... drums roll please....

IT`S A MALE ...... SIGH :hmm:

My idea was to make a little male aviator, but surely if so many people says it`s a girl i must amit that something went wrong with his hormons....eheheh...

By the way i agree it`s probably because of his long and regular eyelashes, and tiny mouth...as someone said, too bad, next time i`ll take it in big count (i hope at least). :shrug:

Here`s maybe a more masculine shot (i didn`t change anything except the camera orientation)

http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/makemyday2.jpg

About the lighting questions i simply say that i tried to simulate a diffuse light system (faking gi) surrounding the model with directional spots , one (the sun) quite intense and shadow casting, the other lights are fill and kick lights with reduced intensity and not casting shadows.materials with appropriate diffuse and specualr channels did the rest.

here`s a small file in max with the lights configuration of this scene, it simply contains the light system, the head mesh and the back wall, hope that it can be useful in some way :

http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/lights.zip

Thanks to you all again

http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/lights.jpg

Ale

Redf
02-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Sooooo soooooo cute,nice work.Really such character to her,really well done.Love the jacket texture,how did you get thet leather texture,it's spectacular.:beer:

WhiteBlaizer
02-17-2003, 08:53 PM
WHAT IS THAT MANIKI? A GIRL? i dunno... but i see very female caracteristiques :beer:.

Nice Girl! :D

psyop63b
02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
What's the story behind this character? She kind of looks like a child version of an older woman. The stars on her collars, the whole military getup. They're not recruiting children nowadays, are they? :shrug:

Hellwolve
02-17-2003, 10:58 PM
I like the character.

But somehow, the discusion whether it's an male or an female, is even better :p

Wetatron
02-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Hey, first off, GREAT model! :beer:

Your second PoV made him look more like a he and less like a she, still the big eyelids tho'..

And for the rest of the art, kickass everything!

-Wetatron :thumbsup:

Neox
02-17-2003, 11:47 PM
those textures are great!
but the model is... :shrug:
ugly, sorry but learn to clean your loops, you have there a lot of senseless n-gons

but those textures are just sweet :thumbsup:

d4rk
02-18-2003, 12:55 AM
that's pretty cool, don't see alot of stuff like that. I like it!

ZVAN
02-18-2003, 09:45 AM
cOOl TeXturInG coOL LighTinG coOL ModElInG cooL eveRythiNG i LiKE iT! but i thiNk the wireframe is not properly cleaned up!

ZVAN
02-18-2003, 09:47 AM
yEah lOOks mORe LiKE a GurL, pinKish LiPS, lOng eyElAsheS, girl figure shape, smooth skin... ??? GurL!

ThirdEye
02-18-2003, 09:58 AM
All the 6-10 years old kids have pinkish lips, that figure shape and smooth skin, the problem here is the eyelashes imho. But looking at the nose shape i can't think it's the nose of a girl for example.

lildragon
02-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Excellent work there :thumbsup: I really love the lighting and texturing! Truely stands out. The only thing is the girlish look as some has mentioned, I think all you have to do is shave down the lashes a bit and it *might* fix it... All in all very nice job, I dig the lil felix the cat on the lapel. It is felix right?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep rocking!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Baldasseroni
02-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks Tito and CG Talk , it's always a pleasure being part of that great gallery :thumbsup:

Regards, Ale

Mystifyurmind
02-25-2003, 05:08 AM
This is my first post and i am happy to say i really like this little Aviator. I never used Max before though i have used Maya for a little while now, but haven't gotten back on track to it. I'm hoping to get inspired again, and to learn a bit from what i am seeing on this site.

If anyone would like helping me find my motivation, it would be appreciated. ^_^ I have so much passion for this stuff. I hope i will have something to show y'all ^_^

:wavey:

jchoi
02-27-2003, 02:10 AM
Love it!!!

Maya Ayanami
02-28-2003, 05:01 AM
I think it is a great model I really like the textures on the jacket.
The only problem is that the nose is too big. That is my opinion.

P.S. thank you eklettica for Returning my emails that was one of the first times that someone had replied to my mail.

Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Blair
03-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Truely cool, love the dirt on the face, this little aviators seen some action. great work.

BnE
03-05-2003, 03:21 AM
very kool manga style... ;)

Mithrandir315
03-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Wow, the boy looks great! I've been modeling a polygon head myself, and I'm wondering how you did the eyelashes? Are they actual geometry, or something like Maya paint effects? I'm pretty sure paint effects don't work on polygons, so I'm assuming you didn't go with that method. Could you help me out? :shrug: :curious:

redneck
04-16-2003, 08:09 PM
great work!

hometime
08-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Lovely!

eoin
08-29-2003, 05:30 PM
good stuff, like it! :)

ufo
08-29-2003, 08:41 PM
good texture ! I LOVE IT , VERY REAL !
And I love the lighting , but the face is s little bit strange !

lala7
08-29-2003, 09:08 PM
:hmm: i have long lashes also .. mmm
also a small mouth .. mmm

dammit.. :surprised ;)

hehe anyway.. : woohoooooo!

tomaya
08-30-2003, 05:56 PM
:thumbsup: and very good optimisation! meshmooth-king!
I love it:beer:

talldreams
08-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I think her lips are too small. The jaw needs to be at leat in moderate proportion to the rest of the face. Other than that, excellent texturing, beutiful lighting. Now lets see it animated!

phoenix
08-30-2003, 09:50 PM
very nice...nicely textured:thumbsup:

Incrediblah
08-31-2003, 02:12 AM
give him/her a big handle bar mustache and everyone will know its not a girl... nice job

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.