PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX finally released!

CGRoman
12-20-2006, 10:25 PM
hi everyone,

my name is Roman Schmidt and i worked in the beta team of SitniSati.

We proudly present u FumeFX, the first commercially available gaseous fluid dynamics simulator for 3ds Max.

FumeFX is a powerful fluid dynamics engine designed for the simulation and rendering of realistic fire, smoke, explosion, and other gaseous phenomena. It’s versatility, robustness, and intuitive workflow make it a perfect solution for even the most demanding tasks in the computer graphics industry.

This groundbreaking plug-in has already been production proven in titles such as Superman Returns and The Host (Gwoemul). And now, FumeFX is released through Turbo Squid as part of the exclusive Autodesk Certified Animation Plug-in Program.

http://romanschmidt.com/ffx/ffx_alpha15_fire01.jpg

http://romanschmidt.com/ffx/ffx_alpha07_smoke01.jpg

-> http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX.asp

martinc
12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Awsome.. I'm amazed again what Kresimir comes up with. I can't wait to get my hands on this. :)

-Martin

SoLiTuDe
12-21-2006, 12:35 AM
*pisses himself*

Sweet... can't wait to get some extra cash for this!

...a mod should delete the aura thread (at least make it un sticky), and make a sticky FumeFX thread soon :)

darthviper107
12-21-2006, 01:49 AM
That is really awesome. Is there going to be an educational priced version?

slebed
12-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Does it support mental ray?

Massemannen
12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
This is soooo sweet!

So am I getting this correct;
FumeFX: Smoke and fire
AfterBurn: Explosions
FumeFX + Afterburn = Awesome effects :scream:

demoniorojo
12-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Iīthink that not supports Mr...only render engines like brazil RS, v-ray, final render, default scanline...but Iīm not sure...

CGRoman
12-21-2006, 08:36 AM
it supports only finalrender and default scanline for now.... no support for mentalray or v-ray or brazil-rs renderers.

Glacierise
12-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Oh the joy... unspeakable :bounce: :applause: :love: :cry:

demoniorojo
12-21-2006, 09:03 AM
thanks cgfire :thumbsup: we will use it with Fr (a great render engine for me :))

Spacelord
12-21-2006, 10:47 PM
it supports only finalrender and default scanline for now.... no support for mentalray or v-ray or brazil-rs renderers.

Is there any particular reason why it doesn't support Mental Ray ?
I'd assume these days most people using 3dsmax is using Mental Ray or Vray.
They seem like obvious renderers to support, special Mental Ray since it comes
as the default renderer for 3dsmax.

CGRoman
12-21-2006, 11:26 PM
mr isn't a standard 3ds max renderer, like VRay, fR, Brazil, etc... you have to write a mr version of a plugin to get it work.

mr is a standalone renderer, like renderman.

CGRoman
12-21-2006, 11:40 PM
...a mod should delete the aura thread (at least make it un sticky), and make a sticky FumeFX thread soon :)well, the chaos aura project might habe been asleep as they rewrote the core, but its not dead. will be exciting times for all to see more and more cfd software in the future.

visualchaosfx
12-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I wanna cry now. This plug in is what makes dreams come true. Now I gotta wait for somebody to email me the download instructions!

CGRoman
12-22-2006, 12:05 AM
... This plug in is what makes dreams come true. ..so damn true...

visualchaosfx
12-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Damn! Where's that email? I'm still waiting!:banghead:

Spacelord
12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
mr isn't a standard 3ds max renderer, like VRay, fR, Brazil, etc... you have to write a mr version of a plugin to get it work.

mr is a standalone renderer, like renderman.

Still doesn't seem like a good reason not to support Mental Ray
when it has a huge user base. Wouldn't it just be a case
of writing some kind of volumtric shader for Mental Ray ?

visualchaosfx
12-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok I have a question: You know how people make stock fire and explosion footage by setting something on fire or blowing something up, right? Could I make stock fire and explosion effects clips with Afterburn and FumeFX and then sell them or is that against the law or something?

CGRoman
12-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Still doesn't seem like a good reason not to support Mental Ray
when it has a huge user base. Wouldn't it just be a case
of writing some kind of volumtric shader for Mental Ray ? .. "some kind of" is the tricky part. ;) anyway, kresimir and his team is aware of that, lets see what they do for version 2.

Ok I have a question: You know how people make stock fire and explosion footage by setting something on fire or blowing something up, right? Could I make stock fire and explosion effects clips with Afterburn and FumeFX and then sell them or is that against the law or something?as long as all u r selling was made by u alone and with legally bought software, theres no violation...

visualchaosfx
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
as long as all u r selling was made by u alone and with legally bought software, theres no violation...

Oh ok. I was just making sure. I don't know if I'll actually do it because of the amount of clips that would need to be created but its great to know that its all good as long as I make them myself. Thanks:thumbsup:

CGRoman
12-22-2006, 12:41 AM
here (http://www.cgfirefx.com/?cmd=demo&reel=cgffx.demo.ffx.campfire.mov)'s a little test made for siggraph:

http://cgfirefx.com/images/cgffx.demo.ffx.campfire.jpg (http://www.cgfirefx.com/?cmd=demo&reel=cgffx.demo.ffx.campfire.mov)

its a fire only sim with velocity channel caching for using 2d motionblur. the sim took about an hour. rendering less than an hour with default scanline renderer. the original pace of the animation can be seen in the second part of the clip. i didnt took much time tweaking the shader ..

SoLiTuDe
12-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Ok I have a question: You know how people make stock fire and explosion footage by setting something on fire or blowing something up, right? Could I make stock fire and explosion effects clips with Afterburn and FumeFX and then sell them or is that against the law or something?

http://www.finalight.com/-/

visualchaosfx
12-22-2006, 02:58 AM
See I could have made fire tonite! I knew I should have bought this thing earlier today! Still waitin for the download instruction email.:banghead:

visualchaosfx
12-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Ok I'm making me some smoke and it all looks good but for some reason the smoke doesn't cast any type of shadowing onto the ground plane. The plane has been added to FumeFX as well as the spot light I'm using. Cast shadows and recieve shadows are both checked under the smoke parameters. What am I doing wrong?

SoLiTuDe
12-23-2006, 04:31 AM
dunno cause i haven't used fume yet, but what shadow type are you using? --try some others =) and you're sure there isn't some button for it in some sort of illumination rollout somewhere?

visualchaosfx
12-23-2006, 05:05 AM
dunno cause i haven't used fume yet, but what shadow type are you using? --try some others =) and you're sure there isn't some button for it in some sort of illumination rollout somewhere?

I'm using just shadow map. Cast shadows and recieve shadows are enabled in the smoke parameters. I'm not seeing what the problem is.:shrug:

SoLiTuDe
12-23-2006, 05:42 AM
have you tried raytraced shadows?

CGRoman
12-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok I'm making me some smoke and it all looks good but for some reason the smoke doesn't cast any type of shadowing onto the ground plane. The plane has been added to FumeFX as well as the spot light I'm using. Cast shadows and recieve shadows are both checked under the smoke parameters. What am I doing wrong?the steps are:

- in light settings, use shadow map or raytrace shadows
- in light settings, under "shadow parameters" check "atmossphere shadows"
- in ffx under "illumination" tab, add the light to the light list .
- in ffx under "illumination" tab, (optional) check illumination map, to decrease render time
- in ffx under "rendering" tab, check cast AND recieve shadows on the smoke shader (the same for fuel if needed)

that should be it. u dont need to add all objects that could recieve shadows to the ffx objects list.

PeteDraper
12-23-2006, 09:13 PM
merry xmas kids!

p

rebolt
12-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow great plugin this is but isn't it too costly comparing to Afterburn or other plugins ?
But this is the first fluid simulation ever developed for 3D's Max. So cheerss guys.:thumbsup:

CGRoman
12-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow great plugin this is but isn't it too costly comparing to Afterburn or other plugins ?...its the other way around... compared to they quality of effects u can do with afterburn, the price for fumefx is really, really fair.

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Will there be any training DVDs for this plugin? Because that would be cool.:thumbsup:

CGRoman
12-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Will there be any training DVDs for this plugin? Because that would be cool.:thumbsup:turbosquid will bring out tutorials soon.

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 12:56 AM
turbosquid will bring out tutorials soon.

he he.... how soon is soon? Like next week soon or sometime next month.

and

What type of effects will be covered.

All I gots to say is that this plugin is the God of all plugins!!

DeKo-LT
12-25-2006, 01:22 AM
he he.... how soon is soon? Like next week soon or sometime next month.
and
What type of effects will be covered.
All I gots to say is that this plugin is the God of all plugins!!

Maybe try to use search? :curious:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/314043

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Maybe try to use search? :curious:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/314043

Yeah I can get those tuts and files in the member section of Afterworks. Already did a search but obviously the DVDs aren't out yet due to the plugins release this past week.:)

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Ok, what I have done was modeled a hand and matched moved it onto a live action shot. I've setup FumeFX to emit the fire from the hand. When I run the simulation, I get the following error:

Warning: Couldn't allocate field 12
Warning: Couldn't allocate field 13

Then it ends the simulation. What am I doing wrong here?

CGRoman
12-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Ok, what I have done was modeled a hand and matched moved it onto a live action shot. I've setup FumeFX to emit the fire from the hand. When I run the simulation, I get the following error:

Warning: Couldn't allocate field 12
Warning: Couldn't allocate field 13

Then it ends the simulation. What am I doing wrong here?a bit too unprecise... sim it again, check "hold open" and save the log text. send this to kresimir.

a unprecise guess of mine: grid size too high for ur memory or maybe too big deflector object proportions or something like that.

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah thats what it was. My grid size was to high so I had to resize the model and resize the grid. Now everything works great. :thumbsup:

Malcolm7
12-25-2006, 04:16 PM
OK ? now how about a sample movie of what you'r testing visual-chaos-fx ! you seem to really love this plugin.

visualchaosfx
12-25-2006, 11:17 PM
OK ? now how about a sample movie of what you'r testing visual-chaos-fx ! you seem to really love this plugin.

This is one of the tests I did a few days ago with a cylinder. Nothing big or anything like that.

http://www.visual-chaos.com/blue_fire_test.mov (http://www.visual-chaos.com/blue_fire_test.mov%20)

And yes I really like this plugin.

I was also trying out the fire stuff with an animated character. No animation but here are some images that I posted over at the Afterworks message boards because I had a question and stuff. This project isn't finished. It was just a test and I'm hoping to match move the character onto myself so essentially I look like I'm on fire:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7128/hellboyfire2iw8.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9378/hellboyfire1my4.jpg

I still got quite a ways to go in learning this plugin and I can't wait until some training DVDs are released because I'm gonna buy them and learn more about the One they call FUMEFX!:thumbsup:.

Malcolm7
12-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Wow .that looks cool ! keep us posted.

visualchaosfx
12-26-2006, 02:46 AM
Thanks man. Slowly but surely I'm gettin the hang of it lol.

rebolt
12-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Great work man. Keep doing it and please show the progress of this . I really liked it. Just improvise on the shader of fire.:thumbsup: :applause:

visualchaosfx
12-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Great work man. Keep doing it and please show the progress of this . I really liked it. Just improvise on the shader of fire.:thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks man.:D

Here's the hand animation test matched onto the live action plate. This is only a 3 sec animation and yeah it needs improvement but I thought I would post it on here anyways.

http://www.visual-chaos.com/hand_fire_test.mov

I've got alot of tweaking to do on the fire, especially when I wave my hand around. But its a start.:thumbsup:

rebolt
12-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Well the fire simulation looks good and also matchmoved nicely with the live-plate but i think the problem is there's alot of whiteish element in the blue fire like on the edges and something like that reduce it to somewhat ske blue. But other things are fine.

everlite
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey nice hand i haven't used fumefx but i'm very interested. Whats the learning curve like? did you find it quite simple to set up the hand?

I'm very tempted to buy, i just have no practical use to justify the spend. need to find a use ...

- Dave.

Glacierise
12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Post more stuff from fume please, we are all hooked :)

stefan
01-02-2007, 08:05 AM
who will be first with nightcrawler "puff" animation created with fume?

visualchaosfx
01-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey nice hand i haven't used fumefx but i'm very interested. Whats the learning curve like? did you find it quite simple to set up the hand?

I'm very tempted to buy, i just have no practical use to justify the spend. need to find a use ...

For me, the learning curve is easy. Once you buy the software, theirs tutorials available in the members area of the Afterworks site. Those help out alot. The user manual is informative and tells you what each setting does. With me, I learn better when I'm watching a tutorial. You can create fire in a matter of minutes just by tweaking a few settings here and there. Smoke, I have played around with it a little but not as much as the fire so I can't give you any thoughts on that part of the elements. All I gots to say is that this plugin is the best Christmas present!:thumbsup:

who will be first with nightcrawler "puff" animation created with fume?

You can actually do that shot with stock smoke footage.

gratdbat
01-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Anyone got any suggestions to make a ring of fire expand? I'm trying to "burn" something to reveal footage underneath and I need to make a burnt impression expand to engulf the whole screen. I'm just waking up so I'm not completely coherent.

gratdbat
01-03-2007, 02:11 PM
By the way, Fume kicks ass, :thumbsup:I was trying to do similar things in AB, (which kicks ass in its own right), but this plugin fills in that void that was in my soul

everlite
01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Any user examples/tests kicking about?

Hey visual-chaos-fx any more cool tests?

I was wondering what fumeFX compares like to Afterburn? Some of the demo tests on the website look like something that, given to the hands of a pro, could be done in afterburn. And the flames stuff looks similar to the phoenix plugin. I'm sure FumeFX far exceeds these plugins in someway, can anyone briefly explain how they differ?

Will there be a demo version any time soon? i'd love to give FumeFX a blast.

Looking forward to see what people are creating :thumbsup:

Cheers - Dave.

Steve Green
01-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi,

there should be a demo out this month.

As for how it compares - Afterburn generally works with particles, so a lot of the motion is down to the user getting the particles right.

FumeFX calculates it's own dynamics, collisions etc. from simple source objects, custom meshes, or particles. However you need to create a bounding box gizmo which calculates the dynamics within it, which you don't have to do with AB.

You can also use the various space warps as well with FumeFX, and drive particles the other way. It's pretty impressive.

Anyway, hopefully the demo will be out soonish.

Cheers

Steve

everlite
01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Sounds really interesting, what's the calculation time like? i imagine it could be quite demanding.

- David.

Steve Green
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi,

it depends on the size of the grid/density, it can be a few seconds/frame up to a minute/frame.

The sims are stored on disk though, and you can make changes to the render after the sim (amount of smoke/fire etc.).

Render times are between 15sec-30sec a frame on average.

Cheers

Steve

gratdbat
01-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know what controls the life of the fire? I need a quick flare-up and die-down.

everlite
01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Sounds reasonable, can't wait to see the demo.

Cheers - David.

SoLiTuDe
01-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Render times are between 15sec-30sec a frame on average.

Cheers

Steve

At what res?

Also, does anybody know if there is any edu pricing for it?

everlite
01-04-2007, 01:50 AM
10% off! don't get much better than that :-)

http://ex.cgchannel.com/product_info.php?products_id=274

Steve Green
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Those times were rendering at 1280x720.

Cheers

Steve

rebolt
01-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on Fumefx. I'll definately download the demo version and play with it.
Well that's great that finally max also have something which totally reacts as fluids depending upon the atmospheric reactions effecting the simulation. Well i think as i got to know by you peoples that fumefx is more advanced and perfect solution for realistic simulation and effects which will become more tricky if done with afterburn ? I mean creating a realistic flame or fire would be better in fumefx or afterburn ?

Steve Green
01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
From my limited experience - I would say FumeFX. However I've got pretty good fire with lots of standard particles and a bit of comping.

The only caveat I can see is that simulation times can be a factor, so if you wanted to show a whole street burning, then that would take time/memory/HD disk space.

Of course you can always use FFX to render off footage to break it up into layers.

Cheers,

Steve

rebolt
01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Absolutely steve. You need more gbs of space for storing all these files and specially the internal
calculation of particles and fluids. Well that's good that Fumefx is rocking. :buttrock:

CHEERSS :thumbsup:

joconnell
01-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on Fumefx. I'll definately download the demo version and play with it.
Well that's great that finally max also have something which totally reacts as fluids depending upon the atmospheric reactions effecting the simulation. Well i think as i got to know by you peoples that fumefx is more advanced and perfect solution for realistic simulation and effects which will become more tricky if done with afterburn ? I mean creating a realistic flame or fire would be better in fumefx or afterburn ?

I'd sya both still have a place - admittedly fume is sill more advanced and has the benefit of moving correctly, but afterburn is still very fast and can possibly get the look of very dense smoke such as volcano clouds a little easier. Fume on the other hand can do all of the really small delicate detailed smoke which ab can't. I've got both here and I can't see fume completely replacing afterburn.

Illusion-shadow
01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Okay guys, we have been waiting and waiting for FumeFX for an in-house project, and it is finally out. We implement the plug-ins to some of the animation, and the result looks pretty good, definitely worth the wait. We posted the thread in the Autodesk 3d max section, but may be some of you guys might miss it, so here is the animation link:

http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/FumeTestLink.jpg (http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/fumetest.mov)
--LINK-- (http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/fumetest.mov)

everlite
01-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey Jackson that looks really sweet, be cool to see a flame version :-) Nice to see fumefx in action. What's the calculation/render time like?- Dave.

Illusion-shadow
01-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks! We probably won't be making a flame version, it's not in our storyboard, ha ha. The simulation time took around 45 mins (excluding a lot of trial and error) per pass, we use 3 passes and composite it together to get the volume and feel we wanted. The rendering time is like 20sec per frame. which is nothing compare to other effects that we used to do. More will be coming up in a month or so, we are currently working on the animation.

visualchaosfx
01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Okay guys, we have been waiting and waiting for FumeFX for an in-house project, and it is finally out. We implement the plug-ins to some of the animation, and the result looks pretty good, definitely worth the wait. We posted the thread in the Autodesk 3d max section, but may be some of you guys might miss it, so here is the animation link:

http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/FumeTestLink.jpg (http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/fumetest.mov)
--LINK-- (http://www.illusionstudioinc.com/temp/fumetest.mov)

Wow I really like that. I like fluidity of the smoke. Any chance of posting the Max file so us FumeFXer's can use it as a learning aid?

rebolt
01-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Wow Ilusion-shadow that was a really cool effects shot. :buttrock:I am really looking forward to see the complete video. Great work man. :thumbsup:

Illusion-shadow
01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
we have been pretty busy here at the studio, but I'll talk to my effect artist to see if he will be willing to write a tutorial (in his own free time of course) on how we created the smoke effect. I'll keep you guys posted.

visualchaosfx
01-08-2007, 02:32 AM
we have been pretty busy here at the studio, but I'll talk to my effect artist to see if he will be willing to write a tutorial (in his own free time of course) on how we created the smoke effect. I'll keep you guys posted.

Cool man. I most definetly keep an eye out for it.:thumbsup:

nitrocom
01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Well i know it will be very similar to everyone...

But is there any demo of fumefx??? I want use it... Especially after AB...

Nazgul
01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Heya

Using FumeFX now, is there a limit to the number of particles FumeFx can deal with? It keeps getting out of memory and even with swap to disk activated it just comes to a halt and stops simulating all together. :( Only 2300 particles...come on! ;)

I've lowered the quality of the sim...still stops.

thanks for any clues!
NAZ

3DKonglen
01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi !

I have a simple question , Is there anything FumeFX does not do , that After Burn does do ?
Will there be any point in buying afterburn anymore now that fumeX is out ?

Im wondering becuase Im just about to recomend it to my boss , to buy a lisence for our company.

And once more , I just have to ask .. Mental Ray is now buildt into 3dsMax so I think the user group for Mental Ray is huge, why ignore this ?

Thx

darthviper107
01-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Afterburn and Fumefx are very different plugins.

Afterburn is more for clouds and large explosions and big smoke clouds. You wouldn't try that with FumeFX.

FumeFX is it's own simulation system, for more smaller effects with high amounts of detail, while it might be possible to get clouds with FumeFX, you wouldn't want to because it would be way too complex, while Afterburn can do clouds rather easily. However, Afterburn wouldn't be good for firery flames because it can't do the right amount of detail and it can only work with the regular particle systems, FumeFX has a different method of rendering and it has a system for calculating the particle movement to realisticly make Fire and Smoke.

everlite
01-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Any sight of a demo yet?

rebolt
01-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Well i have been to their website and turbosquid also. But think right now no chance of demo version available. We'll have to wait some more time. :sad:

Abdel
01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Im having some problems lately with the plugin, suddenly the 'pick buttons' under the Objects/sources,etc in the FumeFX UI are disappeared and i cant increase the size of the window? Has anyone expiercend something like that before? I resinstalled it but still...

nitrocom
01-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I just started to use this plugin... I love it :)

To abdel, no i havent experienced anything like that...

Secondly, when i was using i realised that i need some extra stuff to take it further. Is there anybody who knows advanced tutorials for plugin...

Darknon
01-19-2007, 08:48 AM
wow, really Impressive plugin. Very cool test with that basketball dude :-) show us more.

Illusion-shadow
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
We are currently working on the animation right now. The deadline for the whole animation will be March 31st. So stay tune! As for tutorial for this plugin. I think it is more of a trial and error things, and I haven't seen any out there yet.

rebolt
01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
So illusion-shadow do u also hire freelance effects artists ?

Illusion-shadow
01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Most of the time I like to hire them if they are good, we only hire freelance effects artist only when we have a tight deadline that we couldn't meet ourself. If not, I'll just push my artist to exceed their limit. I think they'll learn better this way.

rebolt
01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Well that's right. Currently i am developing my vfx showreel mainly focussing on Natural Phenomena. So after completion can i send it to you ? One more thing what all softwares you work on while doing effects ?

Abdel
01-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Its good, i figured it out.
I had to change something relating the resolution setting..

nitrocom
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Well i'm thinking like rebolt. Is there anychance to be in the work as a freelance artist?

Just for improving my vfx skills and seeing some production pipeline...

So if it is like that i would like to send some abilities of me...

ddustin
01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
We just purchased this plugin yesterday, and have been playing with it almost non-stop (sleep is over rated).

The information is in the docs but you really need to read between the lines.
Watch the tutorials to pick up tricks (they really don't tell you a lot, just do this, this etc).

david

Darknon
01-26-2007, 07:54 AM
yeah, the information and tutorials are not very good :-(

I'm missing information on how to make the smoke and fire die faster, you know, some kind of particle life thing...

And how to make the emitter (or what it's called) stop at a specific frame, to make explosions. The explosion tutorial is very bad unfortunatly...

Anyone has the answers? :-)

Massemannen
01-26-2007, 01:30 PM
For starters, I do NOT have FumeFX, so maybe Iīm wrong about this, BUT I have a hard time understanding how a company can release a product with no proper support or tutorials that go along with it. For that price one should expect too get a proper set of training files.
And after all that hype and the movies the put out on their website with all the amazing things you can do with Fume... I just donīt get. Not everyone has the time too fiddle around for hours and hours experimenting trying too figure out how this thing works!

Well maybe, as mentioned above, Iīm out of line here since I donīt own this product, but I find in the long run customer care is NOT something companies should take lightly.

My 2 cents

Take care

/Matt

ddustin
01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Matt,

It is a little frustrating.
Like I mentioned earlier, the plugin is very powerfull.
It would be fantastic if there were more examples and a better explanation of what does what.

We have spent around 35 hours or so playing with the settings and have not made much progress. Sometimes modifications change the result and sometimes they don't and there is really no clear reason why.

We will be patient for a while longer (the user forum for FumeFX is quite good so we are hoping to make more progress), before getting testy.

I would agree that given the cost of the plugin and the demos posted, one can get the idea it is point and click, drag and drop but it is not like that.

david

superhypersam
01-26-2007, 06:12 PM
The support is great, between CG fluids and afterworks forum I have bin able to pull of feature quality fx over the course of the last few weeks, with no prior fume knowledge. You will see the results this summer:eek:

some decent tutorials too, the explosion is not so good, but the TP and fume interaction stuff is great!

Fume is a whole new beast, and has quite the learning curve!
to expect right out the box to pull off the quality of FX in the afterworks gallery is just unrealistic. The beta testers who made those images spent several months testing and learning Fume.

Much like going to the XSI website and expecting to pull of the great results they have displayed after a few hours of testing.

crazy talk!

not to mention the fact that some people are just more skilled at certain tasks, and have put in the time and energy to learn there craft.

I would rather have the software now, than hold up release for tutorial files!

stop whining and start simming!

p.s. if you got a short deadline fume is probly not the way to go, at leaste till u know it like u know Max!

ddustin
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Sam,

Whining...... don't think so, just trying to say it like I see it., sorry if it sounded like whining.

We have been waiting to get access to the cgfluid website, you have to email them and wait for the response. So surely additional assistance is near.

With max or xsi you have exhaustive help files to cover most any topic. All I'm saying is you need to dig fairly deep through what is there to find the information you are looking for.
Not to mention endless hours of trial and error, which I actually enjoy btw, but it doesnt pay the bills. Sounds like you could create a FumeFX training DVD and sell it (I'd buy it).

The guys on the afterwoks forum are very helpfull. I was running out of memory while simulating and they provided a cool script to remove non relevant or old generated material. it worked fantastically.

Of course it's a new product... and 6 months down the road all this will be moot. The forum centric support idea causes me consternation due to my days using Animation:Master, so it's my baggage that gets in the way. (to use the A:M forum you HAVE to follow the "yah hash" mantra to get help, crash reports get deleted immediately)

david

superhypersam
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
oh, I sound like a bit of mean ole know it all, blame it on 2 hours of sleep! up all night simming fume stuff, funnily enough.

the whining comment was more aimed at the none Fume user s comments.

I have thought about an advanced FX DVD, including TP, PFlow and box sets, real flow, Glu, afterburn and of course Fume. Basicly, the tools I use in production.
After talking to a few people I just dont think there is enough of a market to make it profitable!

well...

good luck wit Fume

cheers

PsychoSilence
01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I have thought about an advanced FX DVD, including TP, PFlow and box sets, real flow, Glu, afterburn and of course Fume. Basicly, the tools I use in production.
After talking to a few people I just dont think there is enough of a market to make it profitable!

first client allready at hand :D

cheers

anselm

Massemannen
01-26-2007, 09:34 PM
the whining comment was more aimed at the none Fume user s comments.

Well I just find it funny that a company releases a product for 795$ with no proper trainingmaterial, so aim all you want. :)

JohnnyRandom
01-26-2007, 10:17 PM
We picked up a seat and yeah the vid tuts were certianly the put this here and that there type, more of a look at what you can do spot, no real explanations, but hey thats all right, better than nothing.

The manual is pretty concise, i thought. But man it is a whole new beast, it makes afterburn look like a toy:eek:...

Man, sim times are killers, and I haven't even tried attaching them to particles yet.

I see that Allan McKay may have a new opportunity for a couple new training DVDs... I'd buy them:D got any free time Allan?

As for including a full set a really helpful video tuts...that'd be great but I think Sitni Sati just wanted to get fume out to market (and I am sure a lot of people are happy about that).

It seemed to take a couple of versions to get the Afterburn video tutorials out (i think it was around version 3 wasn't it)

PexElroy
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi,

How do I get just part of my object(s) to burn, not the entire object, like a fire/smoke mask.

Like a ball that has a checker texture, and I want only the white or black areas to burn, not the entire object.

JohnnyRandom
01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Use the channel maps from any FFX source.

visualchaosfx
01-29-2007, 06:57 PM
We picked up a seat and yeah the vid tuts were certianly the put this here and that there type, more of a look at what you can do spot, no real explanations, but hey thats all right, better than nothing.

The manual is pretty concise, i thought. But man it is a whole new beast, it makes afterburn look like a toy:eek:...

Man, sim times are killers, and I haven't even tried attaching them to particles yet.

I see that Allan McKay may have a new opportunity for a couple new training DVDs... I'd buy them:D got any free time Allan?

As for including a full set a really helpful video tuts...that'd be great but I think Sitni Sati just wanted to get fume out to market (and I am sure a lot of people are happy about that).

It seemed to take a couple of versions to get the Afterburn video tutorials out (i think it was around version 3 wasn't it)

Yep. Allan will have a few tricks up his sleeve for FumeFX training DVDs. GOOOO ALAN!:thumbsup:

...... now hurry and make them training DVDs lol.

PexElroy
01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks Johnny, I thought it was that area, but to make this mask work, we seem to loose the map's cool intensity control in the process. I guess we can't have both a mask and intensity.

For some reason, I cannot pick multiple objects with the Object Src helper. FumeFX does not seem to work with multiple objects, you seem to be forced to burn one object at a time. Like a campfire, you have to attach all the logs and then pick that attachment, you can't pick each of your logs, so each log could be animated separately.

Or perhaps we must use several separate Object Src helpers per object. But it would be a nightmare if we had 50 objects; we would have to use 50 different Object Src helpers...

AdrianWilliams
01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey guys, i'm really impressed with fumeFX and how it works and even the sim times are quite decent and simple setting make amazing results, the UI it nicely thought about and the simulation preview and viewport interaction is amazing! SS really really did a good job with this tool.

Has any one tried to see if you can make convincing cloud growth, cause i was looking over at CG fluids and some of the gift animations at the top has some very cool animations to them!

PsychoSilence
01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks Johnny, I thought it was that area, but to make this mask work, we seem to loose the map's cool intensity control in the process. I guess we can't have both a mask and intensity.

For some reason, I cannot pick multiple objects with the Object Src helper. FumeFX does not seem to work with multiple objects, you seem to be forced to burn one object at a time. Like a campfire, you have to attach all the logs and then pick that attachment, you can't pick each of your logs, so each log could be animated separately.

Or perhaps we must use several separate Object Src helpers per object. But it would be a nightmare if we had 50 objects; we would have to use 50 different Object Src helpers...

VERY useful post! Iīll have to check on that issue as well :(

DAMN! tomorrow iīll ask for permission to post at the dedicated cgfluids.com forum.

cheers

anselm

PexElroy
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I checked the manual and found an answer:

'NOTE: If you have objects that are grouped together in 3ds Max, when you use the Pick button it will select only one sub-component object from the group. It cannot operate on multiple objects at once, so if you want multiple objects in the FuemFX simulation, you'll need to create Object Sources for each object.'

PexElroy
01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Server is dead slow (and made a double post) :scream:

PsychoSilence
01-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I checked the manual and found an answer:

'NOTE: If you have objects that are grouped together in 3ds Max, when you use the Pick button it will select only one sub-component object from the group. It cannot operate on multiple objects at once, so if you want multiple objects in the FuemFX simulation, you'll need to create Object Sources for each object.'

hm...so thatīs bad news! well...at least itīs possible :D we have to be greatful that fluids finally work that fine in max. grouping stuff isnīt really a solution too if you do character animation :( complex riggs hate to be grouped...

kind regards

anselm

yaya99
02-03-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi CGroman,

i just recently got my hands on Fumefx.
i must say its one amazing plugin.

i was wondering if you would know of any good tutorials for it?
i know it came with the 4 default tutorials.
but is there any more usefull tutorials like for good fire, or smokey explosions?
kind of like the sample videos in the main website.

if you can help me out, i would greatly apreciate it.

thanks heaps.

yahya.

jabbermacy
02-04-2007, 11:14 PM
How the hell do you control the velocity of the fuel from an object - let's say I want a flamethrower - I need fuel to emit at a higher initial velocity and yes, the 'spread' or whatever is not the solution. I need a X/Y facing flame buring like a MOFO ;) HOW NOW BROWN COW?

JohnnyRandom
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe by adjusting the FFX source velocity and set the source controller to voxel fuel?

Something like this...

EDIT:there has to be a better way, fuel seems to run out to quick and can't get the flame to travel much further...

EDIT: Had a complete brain lock the other day.:argh: This one works way better...obvisously needs tweaking but...anyway Particle source with a larger radius

divx:

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.