PDA

View Full Version : material tracks in R10?

JoelOtron
12-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Cant seem to find any of my material tracks in the timeline. Couldnt find any command to turn them on or off in the "view" menu for the timeline in the animation layout preset. Used to be able to filter materials/posteffects on or off in 9.6.

Per-Anders
12-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Are you talking aboutanimation in the materials settings or animating a material in the texture tag? In the texture tag just unfold the obejct that it's on till you get to the texture tag, that's what the amterial track is part of, normally you don't need to open the timeline to create material tracks though, you can just ctrl click ont eh red dot next to the material input to record what's int ehre on one frame, go to another change the material and record another keyframe. If you're talking about tracks on the materials themselves then the easiest way is to drag & drop teh mateirla into tehtimeline, otherwise bring up the "Path Bar" (View->Show Path Bar), then on the path bar click the up arrow and that will take you a level up, and you can see the materials in a folder there.

JoelOtron
12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
In this case Im talking about shader parameters that are loaded into a material channel--for instance: fresnel gradient keyframing.

Sometimes you want to see the tracks in the timeline so you can compare how they line up with other tracks.

Thanks--I'll take a look.

Slowly getting more comfortable with the new timeline--but still a big learning curve for me.

jsls
12-21-2006, 04:13 AM
http://www.4shared.com/file/7706658/a1006e08/Animate.htmlhttp://dc19.4shared.com/download/7706658/a1006e08/Animate.jpg

What I find to be the fastest and easiest method which works for anything that can be animated is to Ctrl+Click on the open circle next to the parameter that you want to be animated.....the circle then turns red to let you know that there is a key frame set at the current frame...scrub time, change value and repeat....:)

Per-Anders
12-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Actually in R10 there's a possibly faster way still (if you have to make a bunch of keyframes), and that's to turn on parameter recording, set keyframe selection (which now works with the normal record button as well as autokeying *finally*), and then you can ctrl+click at any point in the powerslider to record a keyframe for that point in time (which means that you don't have to move the playhead and canjust concentrate on setting up poses/settings how you want for each key point.

JoelOtron
12-21-2006, 04:30 AM
http://www.4shared.com/file/7706658/a1006e08/Animate.htmlhttp://dc19.4shared.com/download/7706658/a1006e08/Animate.jpg

What I find to be the fastest and easiest method which works for anything that can be animated is to Ctrl+Click on the open circle next to the parameter that you want to be animated.....the circle then turns red to let you know that there is a key frame set at the current frame...scrub time, change value and repeat....:)

Yes----and then you can go prevous/next keyframe within the same submenu.
This is how I set keyframes, and how I work in general.

But--as mentioned--sometimes its important/helpful to see your keyframes/tracks in the timeline. Say you have several other events that occur over a period of time and you want to line up your material change, etc during that period, or you want to copy and shift several tracks. Its much easier/faster to have that visual feedback and be able to slide frame around.

But I think I got it now--thanks. I guess I preferred this area functionality better in 9.6.

unseenthings
12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
But--as mentioned--sometimes its important/helpful to see your keyframes/tracks in the timeline. Say you have several other events that occur over a period of time and you want to line up your material change, etc during that period, or you want to copy and shift several tracks. Its much easier/faster to have that visual feedback and be able to slide frame around.
Ugh.. that's not there anymore in R10?? I hope that's part of the "revisions" they're working on (along with some sort of NLA, etc)

JoelOtron
12-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Ugh.. that's not there anymore in R10?? I hope that's part of the "revisions" they're working on (along with some sort of NLA, etc)

Its in there--its just buried--not obvioius.

AdamT
12-21-2006, 04:51 PM
You can show material and other parameter tracks in the Timeline. All you have to do is go into the TL View menu and select One Level Up.

The problem is that there's no equivalent to R9's "show all animated" in R10, so it takes some clicking around to get everything you want included. :/ On the plus side, R10's filtering and layers are quite useful.

Per-Anders
12-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Sure there is, go to View->Show Animated, same as in R9 and prior versions. However if you then want the materials you still have to go up one level (as it's show animated form the current Root level), oh and make sure that automatic mode is on.

To go with that one of the nicer modes is just next to that "Link view to Object Manager", which just keeps the currently active object in the timeline (similar to the Powerslider).

ThePriest
12-21-2006, 10:11 PM
They could have just left things the way they were in terms of the locations of things such as what Joel has mentioned. I don't see the point of changing what is familiar.

*edit.
I tried it, it wasn't difficult. Nevermind.

JoelOtron
12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
"Link view to Object Manager", which just keeps the currently active object in the timeline (similar to the Powerslider).

was looking for that--thanks

AdamT
12-22-2006, 05:15 AM
Sure there is, go to View->Show Animated, same as in R9 and prior versions. However if you then want the materials you still have to go up one level (as it's show animated form the current Root level), oh and make sure that automatic mode is on.
I rest my case. :) Not a big deal, but it would be nice if we still had a one-click solution to display alll animated elements.

burn
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
So whats the answer?

I have an animated object, with animated textures which morphs from pose "a" to pose "b". At the moment this animation is from frame 0 to frame 25. I now need to move all the keyframes so the animation is from frame 75 to frame 100, but there are no keyframes for the textures so the they still animate over the first 25 frames. How can I move them over time?

AdamT
01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
The answer is that there are keyframes for the material--you just have to use View>One Level Up to see them.

Per-Anders
01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Or just drag & drop the material into the timeline, you should be able to save your "new.c4d" with the timeline set to the higher level if you want the "automatic mode" to behave in exactly the same way as it did in 9 whenever you make a new document.

burn
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I can see the texture in the timeline, but there are no keyframes for it. View>One Level Up does nothing at all.

Per-Anders
01-04-2007, 11:04 PM
did you actually apply keyframes to the parameters of the material itself then? if you keyframed materials in the texture tag then they will be where they should be (i..e on the tag).

burn
01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
The keyframes were added to a gradient in the colour channel, by ctrl clicking to get a red circle in the material editor. I just need a way to move these keyframes around.

Per-Anders
01-04-2007, 11:36 PM
You did drag & drop the material itself, not the texture tag onto the timeline?

AdamT
01-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Both methods work here--no idea what the problem is.

burn
01-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I just tried View>One Level Up on a mac and it works, but not on a pc... Is this a bug?

Per-Anders
01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Do you have automatic mode switched on or off? If off then it's locked to whatever has been dragged in to it. Just switch it on and then go up as many levels as required.

burn
01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Do you have automatic mode switched on or off? If off then it's locked to whatever has been dragged in to it. Just switch it on and then go up as many levels as required.

I think that may have been the problem, will check on the PC later. Thanks for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.