PDA

View Full Version : texture maps in games

Grashupfa
12-20-2006, 09:18 PM
I am having troubles figuring out how to align texture maps in games.
For example, i am allowed to have 1 1024x1024 map. I've created a landscape which consists of different parts (trees, rocks, ground)... what is the best solution now...dividing the map into (4) 512x512 maps or merging all the objects to one mesh and texturing it then...

Maybe you guys can help me :)

Flewda
12-20-2006, 09:42 PM
There are a few factors to consider. The fewer texture look ups the game has to do, the quicker it is. So one map vs four trumps in that aspect. However, it depends on how it's being used. Keep in mind, that if you want to use any of the models that use that 1024 texture anywhere else, you have to make sure you can use the 1024 map. For example, say you have that scene, and one 1024 works, cool. However, if you want to use say a couple rocks, or trees from that same scene elsewhere (in a different level maybe) then you have to carry the burden of a 1024 map for a prop. Sure, you could at that point just crop it and make it a new texture, but then you get textures cluttering your data tree. So, to answer your question, it kinda depends on the situation ;) (Probably not what you want to hear). If you have like a set of things (maybe a coffee table, with some dishes and picture frames on it) then it might make sense to go ahead and put everything on one larger texture than 4 smaller ones. Because there might be a good chance that if someone wants to use that coffee table prop, they may want to throw in the rest of the props too. But, if you have the table prop, and then say you make a big texture sheet with a chair, a lamp, a vase, etc. then it might be frustrating to someone else who just wants to use the coffee table that is weighs in at a 1024X1024, but only using 512X512 of that space.

Hope this helps a little, and made some sense, I know I tend to ramble and confuse people :)

Grashupfa
12-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey!

Thx for the quick reply. Well explained, I understood everything perfectly :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2006, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.