PDA

View Full Version : WIP old banger

psychojohno
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey started another project last week! Thought i would do a vehicle. Its based on a mustang and has a poly count of 5874 tris. I have used 1 1024 x 1024 texture for everything on the exterior and one 512 x 512 for the interior. Its almost finished i just need to do a few things for the interior.

anyway here are my images

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/dudleystinks/1-1.jpg

please post any coments or crits :thumbsup:

ArchangelTalon
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
The model looks solid but I think the texture's letting it down.

I get the feeling it's a derby car or at least a car that shouldn't look too out of place in a Mad Max style environment. If this isn't the case, then, well you can probably disreguard most of this post :P

I'd imagine a car beat up enough to warrant the doors being removed would have lots of paint scraped off down the side from glancing other cars/objects.

It feels like it's lacking details as there doesn't appear to be any trim (or place where trim may have once existed) on the wheel arches, the bumpers ("fenders" in the US?) don't look to be separate to the main body of the car in material or lighting.

Some evidence that there used to be doors on it would help - in at the door areas there'd be sheared off hinges, lock mechanisms, etc...

Maybe some hap-hazard paint touch-ups in a slightly different (or in places entirely different) paint colour would look good. You know, painted on with a whitewashing brush or something.

psychojohno
12-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Ahh yes i forgot to say, it was inspired by the first terminator film. I havent got any refernce images of the car in the film, it is only shown in the film for a few seconds.

You can see it when reese is telling sarah conor about what it is like in the future. Basically the people driving the car are trying to escape a machine but it crashes and explodes. The car will have a gun on the back like in the film aswell as a roll cage.

i will have a go at putting some more scratches on it and some trim in the texture!

Evolution
12-20-2006, 07:40 PM
It looks good, few things though:

1. You may want to fix the smoothing of the model, some of the edges appear to be too sharp.
2. There seems to be some poly-wastage in the wheels and the lights. You could reduce the number of sides and it would still look as good ingame.

psychojohno
12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
hey an update!

added some trim and a bumper, paint repair, softend edges, roll cage

any comments or crits post em :thumbsup:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/dudleystinks/2-1.jpg

Farfalo
12-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Nice model, nice texture. Only one problem I can see. Try putting better lighting on it for the render. Like clay rendering perhaps. (white plane under the model, skylight, and light tracer). It would look REALLY good.

Keep up the good work :)

ArchangelTalon
12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Looking much better, man. Loads more interesting to look at :)

BadSpleen
12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Nice model, nice texture. Only one problem I can see. Try putting better lighting on it for the render. Like clay rendering perhaps. (white plane under the model, skylight, and light tracer). It would look REALLY good.

In my opinion its better when showing "game art" to show a real time render, as in another thread I mentioned how doing a full render can improve a model and texture, that don't appear too well in game.

Nice car though, keep up the good work :)

Chilli

psychojohno
12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
farfalo I know I need to improve the lighting its just a view port shot from Maya, I have to make a spec and bump map for this model, I will probably import it into some game to show it properly

Ahh chillipunk I see you go to Stafford University. Out of interest how is the course? What’s the teaching like? I was going to apply there because they said they offered a placement but after finding out I had to find the placement for myself I decided I would just apply for Derby University...

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.