PDA

View Full Version : Facial Animation with Endo-Morphs

ThreeDBFX
02-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey All,

I'm starting to get into facial animtion using endo-morphs. I've got all my emotions setup, as well as all my phonemes. Can anyone pass me some pointers on how to make this work the right way? I'm finding it somewhat difficult. I'm also very new to charactor animation so my experiance is not there yet.

Any help you guys can send my way would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hamish

Shade01
02-16-2003, 05:33 PM
What is it that's giving you trouble? I wouldnt want to spout off about things you already know :)

ThreeDBFX
02-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the very fast reply Shade01!

Well, I'm in layout now. I'm trying to make the charactor make use of all the hard work that went into making those pesky phonemes.

I have the charactor loaded, and Morph-Mixer has all the correct pannels and all. I need to make something happen here. I know when I move the sliders in Morph Mixer the appropriate action takes place. How do I make them work together?

Hard for me to explain...prolly due to my lack of knowledge in this area....but I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot,

Hamish

Shade01
02-16-2003, 06:00 PM
You can use more than one slider at the same time to blend morphs. For this reason, I make all my mouth morphs seperate from any morph that deals with emotion or other facial movement. If you combined the mouth moving and any other type of facial animation, you will have a harder time. And make sure you keyframe a neutral morph inbetween other facial animations, otherwise your morphs will 'drift' from one to another instead of crisp changes between each other.

ThreeDBFX
02-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks Shade01.

I have all my phonemes as separate morphs, as well as the emotions.

When I animate them, how can I tell how long to hold a specific morph so they don't seem to drift from one to another. Graph Editor? I think I'm havin a prblem with timing.

-Hamish

Mike RB
02-16-2003, 08:27 PM
its really a question of how long the sound lasts... Also try making sure you move the sound down by 2 frames afterwards, you'll find that your mouth positions sync up even better becasue the'll 'lead' the sound.

http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/gollumgl.jpg

invisible
02-16-2003, 08:28 PM
maybe this is too obvious but you didnt mention a sound file and you should definitely have a sound file for reference, also use video as a reference if you're just learning.

kretin
02-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Hey Mike, you should linear all those 0% keys so none of the splines go under 0%. Doing that really tightens up the animation, gets a bit muddy otherwise. Also, unless it's for particular effect, you should do the same for the 100% ones...

Hamish, practice man, practice.

Usually I'll do the main expressions first, getting the emotion right for the scene. Then add the lipsync. Then last I'll tweak the eyes and add secondary blinks.

If you're having trouble with timing, make sure you check out some books or internet reference on the timing of lipsync. It essentially comes down to experience to get it just right, but primarily, you should only have one phonem "on" at a time, so if you're going from an "A" to an "S" you would key the "S" phonem at 0% on the last 100% key of the "A", then set the "A" to 0% on the frame the "S" hits 100%. Of course you won't always be using 100%, but the theory remains the same.

Also remember to into graph editor at the end and tweak the splines, most importantly setting some keys to linear so the splines between 0% don't go under 0%, and the same for 100%.

Mike's right, but perhaps a better practice is to hit consanants 2-3 frames before the sound (that way you don't have to adjust the audio later), try to hold M's, S's and T's for at least 2 frames, and if you don't have one, get a mirror and watch yourself saying the line. Lipsync doesn't follow phonems exactly, our mouths tend to blend alot of the phonems because so much of the work is done by the tongue, teeth and the back of the mouth.

Suricate
02-17-2003, 06:47 AM
Hamish, another point in lipsyncing is to pop open the mouth quickly when pronouncing a vowel.

Also, check out the following links:

http://www.keithlango.com/lipSync.html

and

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/lipsync/lipsync.html

Good look !:thumbsup:

ThreeDBFX
02-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot everyone!

This is some really great information. I thank you all for your help, you guys rock!

-Hamish

kristen
02-17-2003, 07:39 PM
is there anyway in 7.5 to save the audio file? i know you can't in 6. just wishful thinking, guess i'll use premiere

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.