PDA

View Full Version : Painter brush broblem..Help

Preilly
12-20-2006, 09:07 AM
OK, I've had a problem with one of my favorite Painter brushes for quite some time now and I don't know how to remedy this problem.

I've tried inquiring about this on other boards but I don't think too many people knew exactly what I was talking about.Ill try to explain as best I can (If you have PainterIX test this out yourself and see if you get the same problem )

The main problem Im having is, when I use a certain oil brush I end up getting this smeary oily effect (Not like "oily" as in "oil" paint, but rather what oil looks like when mixed with water...A swirly mixture of off tones)

Here's how it happens ,

1)I open a blank canvas.

2) On the "Background" layer Ill drop in a color with the bucket tool (let's say a sepia type color)

3) I create a new layer on top.

4) I then selct a ROUND CAMELHAIR brush.

5) I choose a color for the brush (let's use tha same color as the background..Sepia)

6) On the new layer I LIGHTLY begin making strokes....And the result is a wierd swirly oily effect around my strokes.

It really only seems to happen when the oil brush is painting on a layer ABOVE another colored layer. If it's just one layer it doesnt seem to cause this effect. The annoying part is that if I need to lightly shade soemthing on different layer I wont be able to get a smooth color transition because of this swirly effect.

Here's an example of the wierd effect -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/ignatz/Album6/swirlytest.jpg
Does anyone know how to remedy this problem???

Thanks

PR

Hecartha
12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Actually i can't obtain your result. I'm using painter IX.5 and if i use the same color as yours and if i try to paint with the background color on an upper layer using an oil round camel hair the result i can obtain is a big nothing, just one color.
The only way to have something different is to deactivate the box (in the layer panel) above the layer named "pick up underlying color" which allows me (when checked) to merge any color from the layers under the one where i'm painting.

Preilly
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
OK, I just realized the the camel hair brush Im using is slightly modified (probably why you're not gatting the same effect.)

Select Camel Hair oil brush, go to brush creator, go to GENERAL, change the dab type to CIRCULAR. change the SUBCATAGORY to Grainy Soft Cover. Now go to SIZE and change the mIN size to about %80.

Now try painting scenerio with the layers again.

PR

Hecartha
12-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Here what i got
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/Oily.jpg
It is not as visible as yours but i can see now a nasty little effect only if i add to the layer the same color i used for the background. Anyway i cannot get something as strong as your image.

*EDIT*
Ok, i missed one word from your post in spite of the upper case you've used lol
I needed to start LIGHTLY, it works better with a soft cover instead of grainy soft cover. And sorry i've not any solution for you.

Preilly
12-21-2006, 12:05 AM
*EDIT*
Ok, i missed one word from your post in spite of the upper case you've used lol
I needed to start LIGHTLY, it works better with a soft cover instead of grainy soft cover. And sorry i've not any solution for you.

LOL, that's quite alright. Im just happy someone else finally sees what Im talking about!

Yeah, when applying very light pressure the effect is more apparent. The sad thing is that I really like this brush (when it's on a single layer) but once I start on a new layer it's like painting with a brush dipped in motor oil and water.

PR

Hecartha
12-21-2006, 08:33 AM
LOL, that's quite alright. Im just happy someone else finally sees what Im talking about!:D

After a moment i did not understand why i had not seen your problem before especially because i set since a while some basic "photoshop" brushes in painter. I mean one of them is the circular one.
I tryed my brush increasing the bleed and decreasing the saturation but i cannot get the same result. So i've perhaps a solution finally.

The weird effect can be less visible if you increase the spacing and min spacing of your brush. Try to set spacing to something like 23% and min spacing to 1. It will not really change your brush with this kind of use.

Preilly
12-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Hecartha!!!

WOW, This is probably the best fix for the brush. The wierd effect is virtually unnoticable!

I don't know how exactly you were abler to find the solution. I though I had tried every thing.

Thank you so much my friend!

PR

Hecartha
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
You're welcome friend

About how i've found this solution is as i've said before in creating a brush like the round basic photoshop brush.
So when a started with my own brush i could not obtain the same result as the one if i started with your brush. So i just needed to find what parameter was responsible of this difference...
In fact by default painter uses lot of steps for its brushes and sometimes i prefer to keep some texture work increasing the spacing. With a lower spacing painter destroys all the texture of the center of any brush but you know perhaps already that.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/Spacing.jpg

Terro
12-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much, I have to give this spacing a try. I have the same exact problem with my Digital Airbrushes. Same type of Iddy Griddy effect.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2006, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.