PDA

View Full Version : Pre-rendered sprites (Plese help me!)

ansemsnobody
12-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to pot this question but i'll ask anyway.I am currently making a game that uses pre-rendered sprites (2D game).

I did this with the previous game I made, but the characters where shorter and I used an orthographic camera to render them so that they didn't change size from different views; however, I want to use taller

models for my sprites but they look funny in an orthographic perspective (read as ugly).

I have made a few attempts in other 3D software to render the characters in perspective, but they change size from different views (back, side 3/4...)

I'm going to use 3D studio max to make the sprites for this game so I would like to know if there is a way to render the characters

in perspective without a noticeable size change. I will try to center the camera on the model, but I don't know if that will be enough.

Is this possible? Will I have to model the characters with a fake perspective and use an orthographic camera?(I don't want to do that).

The answers I get here will decide the direction I go with this game.

-Thanks in advance!

krasnoarmiich
12-20-2006, 12:55 AM
"One of the first hurdles was an accurate isometric camera view. Finding a way to render six by four screen widths of landscape from twenty-four viewpoints and seam the shots together without any perspective warping was daunting. Tracy Smith worked out the bugs on this one. The final solution was to pull the cameras back to what would be the equivalent of viewing a city block with the Hubble telescope."

From the Sanitarium Post Mortem.

In other words, set up a camera with digits, put it far far away, and find some way to render your select mang. Just a thought.

mturner
12-20-2006, 09:52 PM
In general, you need to set up your rendering area beforehand and stick with it. Get your character in the centre of the grid, make a camera in the position you want and then adjust it to accommodate the largest aspect of your character - if it is going to be pointing/fighting/running/etc, you need your frame to encompass whatever the 'biggest' frame will be. This will lead to some seemingly wasted space in your 'smaller' frames, but the sprites will be consistent across all animations.
With your camera set, you can rotate the character/rig for your other angles of rotation.
If you can post some w.i.p. shots, i'm sure you'll get some more useful info.

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2006, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.