PDA

View Full Version : Sampling colors

joshone
12-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Hello:

Is there a way to sample more than one pixel with the eyedropper tool? I would like to, for instance, sample an area (say a 5 pixel radius), and get the average of those pixels as my "eyedropped" color.

I have read the manual, and so far I have not found out how to do what I am asking.

Thank you.

Jinbrown
12-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I don't think there's a way to do what you ask for but you might try a couple of other methods:

1. Make a selection of the pixels you want to "average".

2. At the bottom left corner of the Color Sets palette, click the left icon and choose Make Color Set from Selection.

3. Pick each color one at a time and in the Mixer palette, click the brush icon and paint the colors. Then click the Mixer palette's Mix Color icon (looks like a palette knife) and mix the colors on the Mixer Pad.

OR...

1. Make a selection of the pixels you want to "average".

2. Choose the Blenders' Soft Blender Stump, decrease the brush size appropriately, then blend the colors.

Neither of these solutions is mathematically accurate but they might work well enough visually. If the color isn't just what you want, you can adjust it with the Color Info palette's HSV sliders.

What you ask about would be nice, and a lot faster but traditional media artists have to mix their colors manually, too, in case that makes you feel any better. ;)

If anyone has a better solution, I'll be checking this thread and will be happy to hear about it.

Tirjasdyn
12-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I use a separate color picker for all my applications. It's free and it let's you save you palettes. you can pick colors from the picker itself or anything on your desktop...and it manifys to the pixel so you can get the exact color which you can get quickly with ctrl g

http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/

Then as I paint in Painter I either paint the color as I need it on a separate layer or in the mixer...I generally do this as I go rather than all at once.

joshone
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks. These are certainly answers to my question.
I will have to see which one(s) work best for me.

Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.