PDA

View Full Version : Parent Collision and Collision Event

VirtualFM
02-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi!

Maybe I am being completelly stupid, but I can't make particles based on collision of other particles.

I want the my particles hit an object and those hits spawn other particles.

The first emitter colides with a collision object.
I have parented the second emitter to the first one. In this one, I choose the Nozzle as 'parent-collision'. It didn't do anything and didn't emit any particles (even if I can see clearly that the first emitter is coliding and bouncing away in the collision object)

I tried in another way, by using 'Generate by Collision event'. In this case I changed the collision object from'bounce' to even', as sugested in the Manual. Didn't work either and i don't get this...

So, does anyone know how the heck can I spawn new particles based on it's parent emitter hits a surface?! Because I'm completelly lost here... And I thought I understood particles until this moment...:hmm:

Mike RB
02-16-2003, 03:09 PM
try hitting FXstart instead of play to run the simulation.

Mike

VirtualFM
02-16-2003, 03:31 PM
Thanks, but I already did that.

Here's a sample scene. I would be glad if somenone solved this mistery...

CrappyScene (http://virtualfm.home.sapo.pt/Rain.zip)

:shrug:

VirtualFM
02-16-2003, 04:01 PM
OK, I still have no idea how to make parent-collision to work, but I got to a workaround to do what I want.

I Put the collision sphere to 'erase' mode and set the Spawn emitter to parent-emitter(end). THis will make new particles appear whan the rain hit the collision sphere and dies.

But I would still like someone to explain to me how this parent-collision concept works, please!

mav3rick
02-16-2003, 05:14 PM
have u set size of particles?

Eugeny
02-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Check the following scenes:
Content\Scenes\_Features\Particles_Dynamics\Collision_MultipleCollisions.lws
Content\Scenes\_Features\Particles_Dynamics\Demo_WorldsCollide.lws

If u don't have (for some reason) content scenes let me know i'll post it.

jmhomey
02-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Try turning on the "Record CP" option. It is in the FX Collision panel at the top of the "Mode" tab. It records an emitter's collision point position that the child emitter then uses to position the origin of its new particles if it's mode is set to Parent-Collision.

Update! :annoyed:

At least that is what it is supposed to do! I've just tried to recreate this effect which I have done a few time before and can't seem to get it to work.

Maybe you will have more luck than me.

Good luck.

VirtualFM
02-18-2003, 03:37 AM
Eugeny: Thanks a lot! Those examples in that directories really helped. I didn't even remember those examples. The specific examples you mentioned made me understand the 'event' thing. What really explains what I was searching for was the
_Features\ParticleFX2\fxspanplaycollrains.lws scene wich is exactly what I was looking for.

Of course I find this totally counter-intuitive, but as long as it works... I would never get there by myself or for what the manual doesn't say :thumbsdow

jmhomey: I didn't quite get this RecordCP either but looks like it plays precalculated motions and the example given in the manual actually focus on the rains splashes I was looking for. I find it a bit complicated to understand and don't have time to explore anymore. Anyway, I can make the parent-collision work now, so it really doesn't matter until I have some mpre free time!

Thanks all!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.