PDA

View Full Version : Monkey King (Character)

ill_logic
12-18-2006, 09:45 PM
hey all.
so i got a job, but it's overseas & so while i'm waiting on the whole long, arduous visa/work permit process to go through, i decided to keep honing the skills before i start. so here's my new project, the first i've posted on here in a while. the idea is it's going to be the monkey character from the chinese story 'journey to the west', same one dragonball & numerous other things are based off of.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/MONK01.jpg
the chief inspiration is the katsuya terada book 'saiyukiden' or monkey king but i'm aiming to make him look like more of a chimpanzee where as in the terada book, he had kind of a macaque/baboon sort of look. and as he's a bit of an anti-hero, the idea is to make him look fairly badass. the face is pretty stylized but i wanted to go for kind of realistic proportions on the body (as realistic as a monkey-man can get; ie long arms, shorter, but muscular legs). i kind of want to give him stylized chunky hair too but that's way further down the line yet.
this is probably looking a bit dense, because i hope to normal map. to be honest, i did start a couple of concepts but wasn't happy with them so i just started this & have been trying to wing it. any crits/comments about the anatomy/topology right now? thanks in advance!!

-J

dennis
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
hey congrats on the job ill_logic!:) i like the model you're working on. can't wait to see how it turns out.

BigErn
12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey Jared, been so busy havent had time to say congrats about your new job! Excellent news.. and as for the new creation, its looking very cool indeed.

I think on the whole the topology is excellent! depending on what you want to do with your model, sculpt it somehow after? you can maybe reduce the polys in a lot of areas, but if your just going for hi-res modelling should be a good mesh.

:thumbsup:

JuddWack
12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow the topology is awsome. Can't wait to see the rest. If you're coming to Shanghai I'll buy you a beer when you get here and show you around if you want. Congratulations and goodluck.

ill_logic
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
dennis - hey thanks very much!

paul - actually, you did already take the time to congratulate me, as i remember you saying it'd only be a matter of time before i was as bitter about the industry as everyone else lol thanks all the same though! i do appreciate it!
as for the model, i realize it's dense for a game model here. this is what the normal map will be eventually formed out of; not that topology & those things really matter if it looks ok in the map. but this is one of the first higher poly things i've done in a couple of months & i was just looking for advice on how the topology was flowing, for practice sake, keeping it as deformable (if that's a word) & clean as possible.
also, it may not be the most time-effecient way, but on the first model i tried normal mapping on, i modeled in between high & low poly, duplicated it & subdivided one while merging a bunch of rows of verts on the other to optimize. i may do that for this too, but would also like to take one model into a program like zbrush or something if i get the chance.

juddwack - thanks very much. i need the practice as far as topology goes for deformation & stuff like that. as for work, i'm actually going to offices in reykjavik, iceland; however the company does have an asian market office in shanghai, so if i am ever out that way, i'll be sure to look you up! thanks for the offer!

as for progress on the project itself, i started on a proper concept sketch last night, taking a crap load of chinese armor elements & trying to combine them in just the right way. i did have a personal preference question though that i'm looking for opinions on. he's probably going to have wild/chunky/spiky/knotted hair & i was just wondering if anyone had any particular ideas what color the skin should be versus the hair. i have a hell of a lot of monkey pictures & while his face is more chimpanzee looking, the dark hair on flesh colored skin makes him look a bit too plain. right now i have tannish-reddish hair on darkish grey skin (sort of orangatan-like) but i'm still not sure about that. i'll post the concept as soon as i finish it. any color scheme opinions would be greatly appreciated! more very soon, hopefully!

-J

ill_logic
12-20-2006, 03:53 AM
so here's the concept i finally decided on. thoughts? what about the color scheme?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/MonkConcept.jpg
and these couple of images are references & things like that
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/MonkRef.jpg

-J

Kleptomaniac
12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Model's looking great.
As for the colour scheme on the concept design (i'm no expert btw), it's looking a bit monochrome. I'm guessing you're going for an Asian warrior/king type look, maybe try breaking up the gold look with some red and blue.

ill_logic
12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
thanks kleptomaniac. i was kind of happy with the clothing color scheme, but what i was unsure about was the skin color versus the hair color, as i mentioned earlier. with the clothing i was kind of thinking about making it gold/orange & having kind of a weird etheral glow to give it more of a mythic feeling. i may add a bit of red if it's a bit too monotonous but i don't know i'm fairly partial to how it is now. but the skin vs hair thing. right now it's grey vs tannish brown but i didn't know about maybe reddish pink vs grey, black vs brown, or even just a human flesh color versus black. i kept messing with the colors in the concept & couldn't really decide what worked. but thanks for the suggestion.

-J

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.