PDA

View Full Version : Growing crystals with pflow

Glacierise
12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi,

I know that Bobo did make growing crystals for Superman returns. This seems too cool to be the only attempt at :) Pls share any experience! And it would be extra cool if Bobo drops a line about the actual effect in the movie!

Thanks!

Bobo
12-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I know that Bobo did make growing crystals for Superman returns. This seems too cool to be the only attempt at :) Pls share any experience! And it would be extra cool if Bobo drops a line about the actual effect in the movie!

Thanks!

The crystal growth effect was not based on PFlow, it was completely written in MAXScript. I had some early attempts to get crystals growing using PFlow even before we got the job on Superman Returns and it looked like the wrong way to go.

We used PFlow for other effects in the movie though - like breaking rocks and stones falling in the underwater sequence where the crystal hits the ground, and we also baked the particle animation back to meshes which were used as occlusion objects in FLOOD to get the water moving accordingly to the stones' motion and distrurb the silt.

Also, for the same underwater growth shots, we generated a less dense cloud of particles, applied the velocities from the FLOOD simulation calculated using the growing crystals as occlusion objects and then loaded these particles in Particle Flow via a custom Birth Operator (which will ship with the upcoming Krakatoa 1.0 renderer we are preparing) so we could render some facing particles with shapes of underwater particulate matter on them. This combined the natural motion of the fluid with the fast scanline rendering we needed as Krakatoa does not render facing particles (yet). We combined it with some passes of Krakatoa rendering to enhance the partuclate density with sub-pixel sized particles using the same velocities. There were also a large number of gas bubbles which were also created with PFlow.
And of course the clouds of silt were particles, but they were generated procedurally inside of the fluid simulator and did not have to go through PFlow at all.

Sorry, OT, but the conference is about PFlow after all ;)

Glacierise
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow :) I gues there was a reason you guys did it :) I really enjoy such reads, explaining the moves between systems. That's the high flying!

Thanks!

Glacierise
12-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi,

Well, I tried to make a crystal growth with PFlow and PWrapper, and what do you know! Turned out quite nice:

http://cravenous.com/crystal_grow_divx.avi

And here's the scene:

http://cravenous.com/crystal_grow.max

arowana
01-15-2007, 02:50 AM
holy !! good crystall.. I tried ur scene (very good). but I don't have PWRAPPER?? is it free plugins script????

Glacierise
01-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi,

PWrapper is a part of Glu3D - http://3daliens.com. The effect can be done with the built-in metaparticle system in 3ds max - blobmesh. It doesn't work as well, though :)

PsychoSilence
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
thatīs hell of a nice way to grow chrystals!!! Mabe create a cave and add a "keep apart" to spread hundreds of chrystals inside of it with "speed by surface"... :D

very good research work on that one, so simple but yet so powerful. both thumbs up!

kind regards

anselm

Glacierise
01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Just wait 'till you see what I'm doing with it :D

prox-emics
01-18-2007, 12:39 AM
nice crystal man! im interested to see where your going with this. with some tweaking, that effect could be very useful for lots of other things too. nice work.

PsychoSilence
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Just wait 'till you see what I'm doing with it :D

counting the days til you post it :)

grury
01-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I downloaded the demo Glu3d to check your scene, but dont seem to be able to render a sequence (altho I can see the animation on the viewport and render single frames). Cant find what the limitations of this demo are, on the licence agreement it just mention its a 29 day trial, but does not mention any disabled features.

Any clues?

jlelievre
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
grury: just a note; I downloaded the demo and ran into the same issue where I couldn't render out the animation. I guess it's one of the limitations of the demo version. I couldn't find anything on their site which listed the limitations but it appears that would be one of them. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.