PDA

View Full Version : New to the Realm

V_Shane
02-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Greetings all, guess I'll be visiting here often:beer:

I have been working with Maya PLE for about 4 mos, couple of my clients were very interested I was learning 3D. Oddly enough both of them wanted me to provide work ala Lightwave in the future (unbeknownst to each other, one local). So here I am with Lightwave learning anew (they both provided me with big incentives to switch contractualy). Well I was wondering why the push for Lightwave? What advatges over Maya or even 3D Max does it have that they would gravitate toward that?

Right now I find Lightwaves interface really plain and confusing, I do however like the keyboard shortcuts on the cliker buttons!

Any insights of the one major thing you like about Lightwave?

Right now I will be mostly into (learning) modeling critters.

Thanks for any tips or rendering cautions.

VS

faulknermano
02-16-2003, 07:03 AM
it's possible that they particular like the rendering output of lightwave. i dont see any other reason why i client (especially if they dont do 3d themselves) would prefer one package to another (unless they're looking out for your :D). maybe they've seen the quality of the lw renderer by way of other people's work. lw's renderer, in short, is pretty amazing even in the hands of newbies.

m_luscombe
02-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Are you modeling bits that need to be animated or textured by others? Maybe it works better with their pipeline.

Can't think of any other reason, off the top of my head. Maybe your clients know Lightwave, and they want to be sure that they can tweak/use the content long after the contract is up.

In any case, Lightwave takes days to learn, years to master. The interface is a little plain, and non-LW users complain about it incessantly. Thank god the parts that matter actually rock =)

sebek27
02-16-2003, 04:08 PM
just 2 weeks ago I hated lw and it's interface.. now it's like the back of my hand, i even created a custom tab in LW with the tools I use the most so it's easier to find what tool I need to use..now i even use shortcut keys from LW in other apps by mistake ! give it a few weeks and you'll love it ! i'm sticking with LW, i use to use MAx and C4D...

Mike RB
02-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Biggest modeling feature?

I have 2 favorites

1: Modeler is a modeling environment, there is no clutter with a timeline, or special effects, or whatever. And there is no object level editing, everything is points and polygons, so its really very easy to grab the eye lids and brow off of one character and stitch it onto another, shape them a bit so they fit and they bring with them all thier morphs for facial expressions and all thier textureing and surfaceing. Very fast modeling.

2: Mouse pivots. You can do any modeling operation from origin (similar to pivot in most packages), selection center (so that the operation happenes from the center of the selected polygons or points), or mouse center. Which is very powerful. With the mode set to mouse pivots you can do all your operations from the location of the mouse cursor on screen.... Oh, you want to rotate from up there, no problem, just click there and rotate, oh, you want to scale that up towards his neck, just click there and drag.... Very powerful, and not often copied bu the competition.

Mike.

LyonHaert
02-16-2003, 06:27 PM
2b: And you can use the layer's pivot as the action center, too. each layer has one. if you haven't moved it, it's at 0,0,0, but it can come in useful if you're modeling mechanical parts and have moved the pivot where it needs to be.

sebek27: glad to see you got over that learning curve and now love LW. as far as using LW shortcuts in other apps, i get that too. i just wish i could remap Photoshop's keys, because i keep trying to use 'u' for Undo and 'a' to simultaneously center the image on the screen and increase magnification to 100%.

V_Shane
02-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Great! This is excellent to see everyone that is totaly gung-ho for LW, really builds my confidence. Since I do illustration as my main staple of income, I have to find a way to squeeze in time everday to work on learning it, how much would you suggest I partition based on a 10 hour day (got family)?

To say be somewhat functional in like 3 months for basic modeling?

Again thank all of you for your input!

V Shane :thumbsup:

Brett H.
02-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by sebek27
just 2 weeks ago I hated lw and it's interface.. now it's like the back of my hand, i even created a custom tab in LW with the tools I use the most so it's easier to find what tool I need to use..now i even use shortcut keys from LW in other apps by mistake ! give it a few weeks and you'll love it ! i'm sticking with LW, i use to use MAx and C4D...

sebek27,
We have seen you be totally converted to LW. From "It sucks" to this! Glad you saw the Light(Wave).

Brett

faulknermano
02-17-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Mike RB
Biggest modeling feature?

phantom point selection. :)

policarpo
02-17-2003, 04:40 AM
hey V-Shane...welcome to the family.

I'm also a still image based LightWave artist who comes from using 3dsmax pretty exclusively...and all i can say is that you are in for a treat using LightWave.

As far as devotion to learning the tool...hehehe...well...give it all the time you have...not because it's hard to learn...but because it's so damn easy once you understand the workflow...

i find myself kicking work out like crazy because lightwave is fast and built for production and the rendering is 2nd to none...

anyway...welcome and be sure to post any questions you might have here...cgtalk is your home away from home for all things LightWave.:thumbsup:

V_Shane
02-19-2003, 02:51 AM
thank you policarpo I certainly will make this the first home.
Man, I stepped away from the board for a couple days and found my thread on page 3! Whew you guys move, glad to see if I ahve a question it will be pounced upon :scream:

Still learning the interface, I really actually like the tabs at the top, very browser like or vice versa.

So when I post again it will be in another thread or a new topic and let this one go by the way of the proverbial bottle cast into the ocean!

Shane

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.