PDA

View Full Version : Question about shading

Alex87
12-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi, I got a question about shading. How do you guys make your shading so perfect for thigns like faces? I have lots of problems with shading because if I let go of the mouse and then try shading different areas then if it overlaps it leaves these darker patches everywhere and I can't get a smooth transition.

Whats the secret? :)

Datameister
12-18-2006, 07:36 AM
The mouse is the first problem. You need a tablet if you're going to make any sort of attempt at digital painting in the long run.

Even with a tablet, this same problem will crop up--but pressure sensitivity will make smooth blends a lot easier. Then you can use either what I call SPALO (sample/paint at low opacity), which is explained in the "Digital Painting in PS" thread of the Photoshop forum of conceptart.org/forums, or the Smudge tool with a brush that uses Scattering. For perfectly smooth blends, use the Smudge tool with the standard soft round tip, with a little Scattering to avoid smeariness.

Bottom line, you can't really get uber-smooth blends of colors in just a few strokes. It'll take some work. But you can get it there. Especially if you have a tablet. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2006, 07:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.