PDA

View Full Version : Dimich Huntress Torso 3DsMax 8

Dimich
12-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Hey all:) I am going to try to do this thing, a first for me on this site. I Did very little for now, only a basic bone set up, but unfortunately I do not have the chance to post the screenshot at the very moment. But i deffinately will very soon! I also wanted to ask whether we can ask each other for any advice. I am interested in learning some new aspects, because as I am planning the rig, I have several questions I have trouble figuring out already.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Darksuit
12-18-2006, 06:15 AM
I am most certainly able and willing to try and help you out. or anyone else that wants some help or has any questions. I have not only Maya, but Lightwave, 3DS Max and XSI rigging books and tutorials on hand or near by. I also have a lot of gathered knowledge as well.

Dimich
12-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Thats awsome:) I have actually ran into a little problem already. As you can see in the model, her legs are slightly spread appart. The way I usually rigged most of the previous characters, the IK system required the legs to be straight down, and the bone chain to remain completely vertical. Now, in this model it seems to be impossible to fit the bones in a perfectly vertical position. How should I go about fixing this problem?

Darksuit
12-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Something to Keep in mind, Now while I am doing the whole thing and will be releasing or just tweaking in parts, the only thing we need to be focusing on for this challenge is the Toroso. That said =)

There are a couple different solutions to most any rigging problem. One thing that you should keep in mind is that once you place the controls in you should be able to achive the models rest position.

in Example. if my model has her legs spread out or her arms down at her side. I might create the rig with the arms straight out or Legs straight down. Then do manual rotations to check the proportions. Once i have the proportions correct, I can place the rotations back to 0 and freeze out the scale (so that all my scales are set to 1). Then I can create my controls. With controls created I should be able to manipulate the skeleton into the position of the body. If I can not this tells me 2 things.

1. Maybe I need to rethink a control or two since I am not achiving the rest position of the model.

2. I may not have my proportions or joints set correctly.

The latter is the reason I check everything before I start adding controls.

So my big suggestion is check the Proportions of your joints in the leg, then with your controls move it into position =)

Hope that helps. I can look up the specifics in 3DS later if you need them.

Dimich
12-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot:) Thats great strategic suggestion! I have although figured out how to deal with the problem, and that was simply a technical thing strictkly relating to the rotation of the knee:)

Dimich
12-19-2006, 06:39 AM
So I spent some time rigging the torso. So far this is what I ended up with. The IK/FK switch is also there. I am a little unsure of what else should i do to improve this besides skinning the body to the torso. If anyone has some suggestions, I'll be more then glad to hear them.

http://www.geocities.com/dimitry_kachkovski/ScreenShot2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dimitry_kachkovski/ScreenShot3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dimitry_kachkovski/ScreenShot4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dimitry_kachkovski/ScreenShot5.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't for some reason upload my pics on the actual thread...

BobbyB
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I am curious to know what the practical aplications of an IK/FK blending spine has. When i rig a charater i usually just give the animator 3 object up the torso. Two in the stomach area and one in the rip area because a human rib cage does not bend that easy. Although i know this is a rigging challenge so people will try and jam pack it with stuff.

Cheers

Rob

stewartjones
01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
I have to admit that a lot of the animators I rig for only like and FK spline unless it's a cartoony character in which case they want all the stretchyness available from a spline IK system. I think that the ease of use is the main thing with an IK spine system Rob. Grabbing one control object, and just rotating and translating that.

Well, checking out your screens for this character that setup looks superb dude. As for what else to do... Umm, that looks like a pretty solid setup to me, so I would just start getting on with the other areas of the character. Once the bulk of the work is done you could add in some extra joints to preserve volume maybe?!?! Just a thought.

Anyway, great job so far, I'll definately keep checking back here so I can pick up some tips from you.

Cheers

- Stu

Dimich
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks alot:) I have been a little bit off from working lately due to the holidays, trips, etc etc, so the upgrades will be coming a little bit later on. I think I am going to make a custom UI for this character. Btw, does anyone know if we can use this character for our reels? Because I was thinking of making this a full blown, high complexity rig and then using it for my rigging reel.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.