PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Messiah

dragonfollower
02-16-2003, 05:28 AM
I'm considering switching to Messiah for animation. I love AM, but I gotta learn something the companies around me use. I downloaded the demo and I really like it so far. The interface looks a bit daunting, but not impossible. I may just go with it.

I was wondering if anyone here that has used Messiah (especially the Eggington guys) could tell me the experience they've had with it. Y'know, how good it really is for character animation, ease of use, things you like about it, things you don't. Also, how does it compare with Animation Master for character work?

-bRiAn

koon69
02-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Id like to know which messiah is needed with LW and Max. There is messiah-studio, messiah-animate, messiah-render, and project-messiah 1.5. To confusing for my little brain. If a 3d'er has LW and will model and render in LW I guess you would need messiah-animate? Its $595 which aint that bad. But how does animate comapre to project-messiah 1.5 for $295? I guess for LW $995 and animate for $595 you can for $1600 get a fully rounded app. But I guess you would have to get sasquatch and g2? Damn this can get pricey.

Roger Eberhart
02-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Project Messiah only works as a plug-in to LightWave and does not include some of the newer features in Animate, such as non-linear animation. Messiah Studio is still a beta product, so I wouldn't bother with it at this time.

bugzilla
02-17-2003, 01:15 AM
I bought Messiah Studio with some leftover money I had when leaving military duty. Messiah Studio has everything Animate has but also has a renderer. The problem is that Studio is still in pre-release version. Basically, it's a Beta program and it shows. The renderer has great global illumination but is missing some very basic things like glows and motion blur on objects. Also, it seems very buggy. Things don't seem to work the way they are presented. The dopesheet, for example, will sometimes let you select multiple keys and move them when you lasso them, but sometimes only lets you move one key.

As far as needing Max or LW, none of the versions of Messiah have any modeling abilities. Messiah Animate has no modeler or renderer.

If you have Lightwave and want to do Character Animation you need Messiah to keep you from going insane.

dragonfollower
02-17-2003, 01:21 AM
If you have Lightwave and want to do Character Animation you need Messiah to keep you from going insane.

Yep. That's precisely the reason I'm looking to get it. So far I've been amazed at how much faster and easier character animation is with Messiah than with Lightwave alone. I tried to do an animation project with Lightwave and I literally was almost pulling my hair out :eek:

-bRiAn

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.