PDA

View Full Version : How to archieve photorealistic rendering with Scanline Renderer?

Raphz
12-18-2006, 04:58 AM
Hi everyone, I'm currently using 3d Max to do interior visualization for my company. By default, 3d Max itself already have mental ray and scanline renderer installed. I know that mental ray can produce photorealistic effect but the rendering process need a lot of time compare with scanline renderer.

So, my question here is how to archieve photorealistic effect with scanline renderer? Is that possible to create photorealistic rendering with scanline renderer?

jtaddei
12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
If you use Photometric lights you can get a realistic light distribution cone if you search for downloadable IES data. You'll have to import it in as a 'web' light in the photometric type. If you use photometric lights with the "Architectural" set of materials (not MR architectural) i've gotten some pretty believable renders from doing that. By no means photorealistic but they are a long stretch from the default "look" we all know and deal with from the scanline.

Also I noticed when using photometric lights and architectural materials render times went up a lot more than what I was used to from the other scanline renders.

Get really comfortable with light attenuation distance if you don't use IES data. It'll make them not neccesary.

Hope i've helped.

Raphz
12-20-2006, 01:26 AM
If you use Photometric lights you can get a realistic light distribution cone if you search for downloadable IES data. You'll have to import it in as a 'web' light in the photometric type. If you use photometric lights with the "Architectural" set of materials (not MR architectural) i've gotten some pretty believable renders from doing that. By no means photorealistic but they are a long stretch from the default "look" we all know and deal with from the scanline.

Also I noticed when using photometric lights and architectural materials render times went up a lot more than what I was used to from the other scanline renders.

Get really comfortable with light attenuation distance if you don't use IES data. It'll make them not neccesary.

Hope i've helped.

Thanks a lot. I will try it out. Can you show me some of your rendering by using your method?

jtaddei
12-21-2006, 03:20 PM
actually I can't right now as i'd get fired.

But maybe sometime this week I can put together a simple scene and render it out. There are many ways to fake things in scanline that are "automatic" in other renderers like global illumination etc.

spasticlizard
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Using the MentalRay renderer doesn't necessarily take longer to render then the scanline renderer. In some cases it renders a LOT faster than scanline. It depends entirely on what lights you use, alpha channels, etc. For instance; if you have a skylight in your scene along with something that's utilizing an alpha channel and use the scanline renderer ... it will take forever to render. BUT, if you use the MentalRay renderer, it can cut that time in less than half becuase it utilizes the features of the lights better, therefore taking less time to render. I'd experiment if I were you.

Light Tracer is another under utilized tool in my opinion. You can get some really nice renders but utilizing this and it can cut your render times down a LOT and get way better results than the standard scanline renders.

G'luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.